Ike Yard - '1980-1982 Collected'

soundslike1981

I hadn't heard all of this, very good stuff indeed. There's something very un-rock about it's brand of the darker-side-of-post-punk that others (ie Joy Division) treaded but not as well. I think I would've been in heaven in New York when No Wave was dying and the weirder stuff (Liquid Liquid, ESG, Ike Yard, Y Pants, Sonic Youth, Grey, Del Byzanteens, Ze Records stuff, Ramelzee & Co., Arthur Russel's coterie) were ascendent.

I haven't much to add about Ike Yard specifically, but as one of their members is a regular here, you should pick up this Acute Records comp if you haven't done already. If you're a fan of space in the mix, minimalist funk, darker drones, etc., you'll dig it. Bonus points for geekily thorough liner notes/recollections--maybe it's a bit record-geek of me, but I always find it slightly lame when out of some desire to be cool or mysterious, reissues have sparse/no notes. Just because one admits a history/context doesn't make the music date more severely--if the sounds stand, the sounds stand. And they definitely do with this one.

polystyle

Night after night after night...

Cool, thanks guys
Missed this during all the Tokyo actions between 9/1 and yesterday
but have to concur the rerelease sounds really good , somehow feels timely too
(jeez- only 25 years later. Never thot i'd be writing that !)

The bass is all there , and maybe a bit more !
Cheers to Hooky to helping out in a pinch ,
Madge for the um , support bk in that day ... and nights
We gigged with Del Byz's a couple times in cold venues populated mainly by our girlfriends and Guest list friends , few $ but all for fun.
Also with Section 25 @ Peppermint Lounge and Maxwell's , good lads and fun had by all.

Soundslike i hear you on the end of No wave period,
it allowed other hybrids to come out of the shadows for some months , year(s) there
and while they may not always be them 'canonized' ones , some were/are essential.

You should then dig the upcoming New York Noise 3 wherein we rigged up a slew of that period's sometime's odd , cool to cold and rare cuts by some more uncanonized.
No wave, Post no wave , pre /proto electro technoid
Cheers all

polystyle

Thass one and only ...

Paul Lemo's (Controlled Bleeding) weighed in with a very nice IY review today,
will track source , where it's being published .
Sweet !
Pitchfork's was pretty good , Dusted a bit wack info/Op Ed wise but what can one do.
Mainly , we do the musik and can only hope it gets proper attention , even 20 plus years later ...

N

nomadologist

New York Noise III

Just wanted to say that the New York Noise III comp is available now in NYC, and it's amazing. Kudos and congrats to all involved.

I was seriously getting scared that nothing this good would be released this year. Now I have a reason to brush the dust off my ipod.

polystyle

Thanks Nomad
It took years to do , was originally going to go out on Bathing Ape's label in Japan -
but found a much better home in Soul Jazz- they have been fun and not at all hard to work with .
The whole thing was difficult to hold together as some pieces got claimed ,
but all in all , the liner's, Longo's art and even the color scheme seem to have found some way to go together ...
Am hearing bk from some of the artists and they dig it too .
Cheers and enjoy

bruno

est malade
received my copy of this a couple of days ago, finally. i've been listening to it more or less nonstop as i work at night, rushing through a translation that i have to give in today. very surprised at how well i can run this hypnotic electric thing (which sounds uncannily like my head from 1993 to 1999) on one channel and in parallel calmly parse and analyse and cobble together something that makes sense, it's an achievement! but it has this quality, too, hypnotic while at the same focussed, awake, moving restlessly through the night. it reminds me of sand's golem that way, it's not sedative but alive, a fluid torrential sort of thing. the liners are fascinating as well, the new york scene comes alive so vividly (and the theme from shaft anecdote is a laugh). so that's it, it's fantastic. hats off!

polystyle

Dancing & Slaving

Cheers Bruno
Ike Yard nonstop sounds like a candidate for the next record's title,
now that we are reformed and making - baking new work ...
Acute Records lil' party for IY @ Heathers (13th St. in E Village) Jan.17
WFMU live Jan.29 on John Allen's show , this will feature all new stuff .

Leo

FYI, hear them live on www.wfmu.org, here are the details:

Ike Yard
Monday, January 29th, 11pm - 2am
on John Allen's show
Founded in 1979, the downtown art band Ike Yard created a new sound by tapping into the UK post-punk dub of PiL and Joy Division, the Neue Deutsche Welle of DAF, and the krautrock experimentation of Can. Their 1982 album 'A Fact A Second' (released on Factory Records) has stood the test of time and is considered a classic in the minimalist genre. In conjunction with their recent 1980-82 retrospective CD on Acute Records, Ike Yard will perform a set of new music for the first time in 25 years right here in the WFMU studios.

polystyle

Night after Night after Night

Welly welly well yea Ike Yard HAS been working hard on the new songs and pieces.
Even though i ok'd the quote that went with the WFMU announcement,
have to say Can was never such an influence /source really ...
PIL, DAF, L Dangeruses, Esplendor Geometrico these were just a few of the groups we were into and were friends to trade tapes , j's with.
By now, jeez , 25 years after the last musik made by the group
i could say the current incarnation has some affinities to Cluster's methods,
the recent Kraftwerk, even certain Underworld in their bts - minimal melodies - words on top ('Juanita') flow.
Having almost always being SYNCHED in previous -'1982' Factory America LP style ,
we now revel in some synch, handmade synch and non synch.
Writing new lyrics has come last, Kenneth and I slaving on 'em now that we got the group mood back in us.
New titles include Nyx, Oshima cassette, Traffikers
but half of WFMU set is still in between simple numbered titles and some combination thereof
- IY3 Masochist (!)
Our booker is working on some Euro gigs for May , we'll see what shakes out

polystyle

Got out the Studio last night and into the snow ,
the cold felt good.

Rhy Chatham and his Guitar trio had been performed again in Red Hook on Sat night
with six string guests Thursty Moore , The Renaldo and Longo ...
The guitar circus moved on to the next city

In another part of town
Last night we stayed overtime to rec 6 new ones down Jersey City way,
went further then rehearsals.
Busted our asses on the ice , ferrying Studios's worth of gear.
Good cookies on the ride home.
Back to JC tonight to make song order , edit and air the music and do interview on the gear,
old and new days ...

tate

Brown Sugar
Ike Yard returns, live

Friday night (4/20/07), Ike Yard played their first live gig in 25 years and were absolutely incendiary. Mindmelting. Difficult to know where to begin in describing the evening, but I'll try -

Debuting new material and refashioning old, IY's performance was uncompromising and completely thrill-inducing. Ranging from multilayered, triple-textured, noise-looped urban soundscapes to full on industrial chaos ("Shiva Virus" = jawdropping), SA, Michael, and Kenneth packed the venue and had the crowd buzzing, dancing, and revelling in the IY experience.

Decades ahead of their time then, rest assured that nothing's changed now: as futuroid, ferocious, and agile as ever, in full possession of a distinctive sound and aesthetic vision.

As hoped, the reunion of IY attracted an eclectic and enthusiastic crowd. From middle-aged IY fans, to the crews who drove in from hours away, to the new generation of IY kids who came to experience music history in the making; local musicians and producers, people from the theater scene, even a Bosnian poet who writes lyrics for Sarajevo industrial titans SCH . . . all were there and Ike Yard delivered wave after wave of sonic surprise and pleasure. Label owners and promoters, we're putting you on notice: get IY a record deal asap, and keep this ball rolling . . .

Can't say enough good things about DJ Lexxus (NYC Dub War veteran, on tour in Europe next month), who opened the show and brought dubstep vibes that were deep, soulful, and inviting to everyone in the space: he had three generations of music lovers dancing to dubstep, surely a first for upstate . . . and was the perfect complement to Ike Yard. Many smiles all around, the evening was electric.

Polystyle Desu, you are truly a legend. Skill and knowledge without parallel, and a heart of gold - thx to you and the fellows for an unforgettable night.

adruu

This Is It
anything new to report? i think i would try to make it to a gig sometime later in the year if there are any.

polystyle

Hey ,
well yeah actually lots to report on Ike yardian front.
We return to Studio shortly to hopefully finish 6 new cuts towards an all new album
we are 'writing' second half of that now , just had a crackin jam yesterday.
The group is in a woodshedding _ music retreat mode later in August
rounding things out in a series of 'no beats' , freestyle spaces
exploring forms that will come out of playing with noise percussion , drum pads , metals again.
If we're lucky we go up to the White Mountains NH again to play around for some days and night.
Some forms of the new stuff will go up on the Myspace to finally get new stuff up there ,
there's a whole series of new pieces from live to DAT recordings that we want to begin putting up.
A tiny IY mixi community started in Japan ...

As for live , we are looking at venues for a late Sept. show
are trying to go back to Europe to take up Optimo's offer of a Sunday night ,
At the moment there are Oct. London ? /Dublin/Glasgow + Geneva Berlin/Porto dates and plans underway.
Excepter invited us to play with them and others at an exceptional and special place uptown TBA Nov.16

And something may well happen in regards to doing some New York Noise nights later in the year , spoke to Marty Rev about a Rev - Ike Yard live bill with a Boris Policeband DJ set by ?
say JG Thirwell if we can get 'em !

We just saw Rev rockin it last night with the big Korg Triton onstage @ South Street Seaport
Suicide sounded pretty f great , made it their night , some great stuff I hadn't heard before
Cheers