The best club in the world?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Went to Berghain in Berlin for the second time this past weekend, and...wow. Utterly beguilingly industrial, with huge cavernous dark spaces, unrelenting strobes, beautifully-judged minimalist architecture, and about 40 sublimely comfortable leather sofas. And that's before we even get to talking about the music, and the 20-hour parties on Saturday nights.

http://www.trackitdown.net/news/786.html

So, can anyone suggest any other contenders for the title of Best Club in the World?

dogger

Sweet Virginia
Went to Berghain in Berlin for the second time this past weekend, and...wow. Utterly beguilingly industrial, with huge cavernous dark spaces, unrelenting strobes, beautifully-judged minimalist architecture, and about 40 sublimely comfortable leather sofas. And that's before we even get to talking about the music, and the 20-hour parties on Saturday nights.

http://www.trackitdown.net/news/786.html

So, can anyone suggest any other contenders for the title of Best Club in the World?

nah i'll second berghain i think :) incredible soundsystem, awesome decor, great crowd, the best dj's...the only problem is the doorman (the one with a grey ponytail and tattoos all over his face) who, as well as actually looking like the devil, is an utter cunt who takes it upon himself to randomly turn away groups of people no different to the ones he lets in....including on one occasion, according to his pitchfork column, philip sherburne and gui boratto....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
nah i'll second berghain i think :) incredible soundsystem, awesome decor, great crowd, the best dj's...the only problem is the doorman (the one with a grey ponytail and tattoos all over his face) who, as well as actually looking like the devil, is an utter cunt who takes it upon himself to randomly turn away groups of people no different to the ones he lets in....including on one occasion, according to his pitchfork column, philip sherburne and gui boratto....

That's really interesting actually. I've got in twice with no problems, despite making no effort with my appearance. Maybe I just dress in a camp/ostentatious way naturally?

dogger

Sweet Virginia
That's really interesting actually. I've got in twice with no problems, despite making no effort with my appearance. Maybe I just dress in a camp/ostentatious way naturally?

haha could be...yeh there really is no rhyme nor reason to it...me and my girlfriend got in three times, no bother, but then a fourth time (with someone else) we were turned away with no explanation....

swears

preppy-kei
I think door policies are good to keep out pissed up groups of lads looking for trouble, but otherwise it's a bit lame...although if I had a club I would ban anyone wearing a suit jacket with jeans, or a scarf/sunglasses indoors.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think door policies are good to keep out pissed up groups of lads looking for trouble, but otherwise it's a bit lame...although if I had a club I would ban anyone wearing a suit jacket with jeans, or a scarf/sunglasses indoors.

Couldn't agree more. Sunglasses indoors - Jesus.

Yeah,d oor policies are lame - failed to egt into 103 and Weekend in Berlin for that very reason. At Berghain, were more lucky.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah sounds great, a club with an elitist door policy :-S

I like plastic people in london and mani

I would think exactly the same as you if I hadn't been there. But by God it's worth it.

Plastic People's OK, but really not in the same universe as a club. Don't know Mani.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I keep reading about this place and it sounds ace but that kind of door policy is minus a lot of points. I'm sure I'll still check it out next time I manage to afford to go to Berlin though.

Lichen

Quite. What if you flew to Berlin with the express reason of going to said 'club and then didn't get let in.

Keeping out groups of pissheads is an entirely different thing to random refusals.

Door policies are contrary to the spirit of good parties. I remember reading Sarah Campion describing a scene from a rave (shit paraphrasing follows):

I sat under a tree with an Indian Aristocrat who was making tea in an imaginary kitchen for me and a computer technician from Romford dressed in a pastel baby-grow.

This Berlin Uber-Club can have all the knobs and whistles but as long as it retains this door policy and feels the need to manufacture some kind of exculsivity rather than trusting that the random bunch of punters still mooching about the dance floor at 8am are the RIGHT KIND OF PEOPLE, it's not in the running as far I'm concerned.

Lichen

Oh Shit!

You got me. I haven't been to a night club since we had a Labour govt.

I'm seriously considering a Loft party in December though.

Guess that's a "night" and not a "night club" though.

And in reality, if I got into this Berlin pleasure palace, and it was 7 a.m the place was rocking and everything was right with the world, I'd be the LAST person to think:

This is great but my pleasure is tainted by thoughts of all the really nice people that didn't get in

I'd be more like:

WooHooo! I'm one of the chosen. Ooooh that feels even better now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Quite. What if you flew to Berlin with the express reason of going to said 'club and then didn't get let in."
Well yeah, but I wouldn't do that. I'm saying that if I was on holiday in Berlin - which is quite likely because whenever I've been there I've loved it - I would check that club out. If they didn't let me in I would go somewhere else. If they did let me in and I saw someone else being arbitrarily turned away I would feel like a bit of a cunt and then go and have a good time.
I agree that door policies are wank and totally contrary to whatever the spirit of clubbing may once have been. Personally the best nights out I've had have been in small, intimate venues with a good crowd. I think that this is something that London does well at the moment (though the crowd is obviously a bit random). On the other hand London lacks state of the art superclub type things and although I wouldn't especially say that it is something I miss on a weekly basis I would give this place a try.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well yeah, but I wouldn't do that. I'm saying that if I was on holiday in Berlin - which is quite likely because whenever I've been there I've loved it - I would check that club out. If they didn't let me in I would go somewhere else. If they did let me in and I saw someone else being arbitrarily turned away I would feel like a bit of a cunt and then go and have a good time.
I agree that door policies are wank and totally contrary to whatever the spirit of clubbing may once have been. Personally the best nights out I've had have been in small, intimate venues with a good crowd. I think that this is something that London does well at the moment (though the crowd is obviously a bit random). On the other hand London lacks state of the art superclub type things and although I wouldn't especially say that it is something I miss on a weekly basis I would give this place a try.

The great thing is that it doesn't feel like a superclub.

Anyways, which places in London would you recommend? I'm interested, as I'm repeatedly underwhelmed by what London has to offer, aside from a few random clubs I've discovered over the years.

Lichen

"Anyways, which places in London would you recommend"

This subject keeps cropping up. I posed the question "Where's the acid party?" a while back. "Secret Sundaze" was the reply.

Now one of our number has sensationally (and controversially) revealed that it's a Barley-fest.

If I was a younger man (and I didn't live in Somerset) I'd rent a hall and do something...