Which media player?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I got a new laptop yesterday & I'm installing all my whatnots on it. Just interested to know which media player dissensians use, cos I've got a choice of half a dozen. So, tell me what's your PC media player of choice and why...

While we're here, does anyone know how you encode MP3s so that the artist/album/genre shows up in the appropriate boxes in Windows Explorer? MP3s that I download always have this but I cant work out how to do it on MP3s I create myself.

Cheers nerds ;)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
winamp- basic model is free and doesn't take over your computer-just sits in the corner. nice skins too.

if you get the upgrade, you can set up the mp3 encoder to do all the tasks you ask automatically

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Foobar2000 plays fucking everything audio-wise, pretty much. I like that because I don't need to think about what format I'm downloading.

It has a really stripped down, ghetto interface, which I prefer to bells and whistles.

It also does file tagging, you can edit shit easily or even make very simple scripts, eg. take file name and use the bit before the "-" as the Artist tag and the bit after as the Title. If you do a search for freedb and foo you can download an extension that allows you to tag an album using info from freedb.org, which is pretty easy too. This takes care of your second question in the same player.

For video I use MediaPlayerClassic. Again, it's about the stripped back interface for me. Can take over QuickTime, RealPlayer, etc. and play it all in a shitty, old school MS MediaPlayer window. Sweet!

OH, AND ALL FREE...

Last edited:

ome

iTunes (apple)- free - best design - ease of use and intergration with ipod - but limiting features, iStore spamming and corporate file format shenanagans. Poor visual media tools.

winAmp (ex. shareware) - free - good vizulisation options and range of plugins, web streaming, skins. recommended

Media Center (jRiver) - lots of very good features for sorting, tagging and tumbnails, libarys, good for DVD and video (with shareware codecs), plays freeview TV(with usb or pci hardware) etc.. recommended if you have 10,000 files

Media Portal (open source) - free -early days but now 95% stable - similar to MSoft Media CenterXP (OS version). Great if you want to replace your stereo / TV / DVD with a mediaBox - really needs a remote control. Music features limited. Can load ripped ISO dvds and reference IMDB. Watch this space.

Media palyer (MSoft) - ...

Media CenterXP (MSoft) - Like Media Portal above i.e. a media center rather than a media player. Suprisingly good, has api so lots of good 3rd party tools i.e. to mount Iso DVD's etc

Moodlogic - is good subscription service to getting your music tagged with images. Although the best tools for doing this are illegal scrapers that nick info from Allmusic.com