obviously nothing going on, CHROME!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Offa ALIEN SOUNDTRACKS the better record me reckons.

SLIP IT TO THE ANDROID

Yep, the ULTIMATE sex with robots, post-Marixist anthem!!

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Yep, the ULTIMATE sex with robots, post-Marixist anthem!!

yeah I've been turning this question over in my head for some time now: would Chrome be considered the only definitively cyberpunk/"new flesh" music, or would anything including or inspired by Berlin-era Bowie fit into that category? So Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, The Normal, etc... but they all seemed to lack gritty aspect of cyberpunk.

Just throwing it out there.

zhao

there are no accidents
dunno why people always regard Alien Soundtracks and Machine Lips Blowjob or whatever as the ultimate CHROME LP's. i don't like either of them all that much at all. but the other material on the CHROME BOX seriously defies quite a few natural laws (HOLY SHIT THAT'S FROM 1973?!??!?!?!?!?!)

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
not sure if I've heard him, but when I read that I thought you meant Monte Cazazza, who would probably fit the aesthetic lineage and the time-frame: http://www.myspace.com/montecazazza1

I love "Stairway to Hell"

The reason I don't consider industrial music "cyberpunk" is because industrial seems to be about clashing with the machine, while cyberpunk is about fusing (organically) with the (organic) machine. Maybe industrial fetishizes technology and cyberpunk immanizes it.

Chris

fractured oscillations
yeah I've been turning this question over in my head for some time now: would Chrome be considered the only definitively cyberpunk/"new flesh" music, or would anything including or inspired by Berlin-era Bowie fit into that category? So Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, The Normal, etc... but they all seemed to lack gritty aspect of cyberpunk.

Just throwing it out there.

Hmmm... Maybe Metal Urbain? This Heat? Earlier Cabaret Voltaire? Some of the less disco-y NDW?

Maybe these are too crude sounding tho... They have that outlaw thing going, but aren't exactly the sound of a very advanced or healthy human/machine interface.

Are you looking for more of just the sound of this idea, or music that addresses it more explicitly in it's lyrics/imagery?

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
by way of example:

you have cyberpunk/new flesh novels: William Burroughs's Soft Machine trilogy, anything by William Gibson, JG Ballard, etc. etc. It's a strongly established literary genre.

Then you have cyberpunk/new flesh films: Blade Runner, Tetsuo, Videodrome, etc.

There's cyberpunk theory: Arthur Kroker, Donna Harraway, some Frederic Jameson, Stelarc, and too many more to name.

So I've always wondered what, if anything, could be called cyberpunk music. I remember Gibson said he wanted to write science fiction the way Lou Reed or Bowie might write science fiction. Basically I would define it as a fusion of electronic, noise, and punk in a DIY or street-appropriated context. I'm not a music head, I don't know. Atari Teenage Riot certainly evokes the cyberpunk style. And by extension I think you could call Daydream Nation a cyberpunk album.

drilla

Chemlab's "Burnout at the Hydrogen Bar" always sounded like the kind of music that would be playing live at a... bar.. in a cyberpunk world, and I think they went for that aesthetic consciously. But I'm not sure it fits as organically developed cyberpunk music.

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
Chemlab's "Burnout at the Hydrogen Bar" always sounded like the kind of music that would be playing live at a... bar.. in a cyberpunk world, and I think they went for that aesthetic consciously. But I'm not sure it fits as organically developed cyberpunk music.

Good one. There's almost a vague pre-echo of Neurofunk in that song (before the guitars) when the percolating synth drops in over that DnB boomKAK.

Speaking of DnB, a lot of Techstep and Neurofunk (Neurofunk... Neuromancer :slanted:) is probably the most Cyberpunk music ever, especially the super intricate shit or when it gets all Judas Priest-style dystopian Sci-fi Metal.

Try maybe Stakka &or Skynet or THIS SHIT. And this track has that metropolis at night feel, before going inward and cybernetic at the drop, like the protagonist is getting hooked up to the Corporate Datablabla at the blablabla...

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I'm bowing out. I will have no part of putting Jesus Jones in the same category, aesthetic or otherwise, with Chrome or Fad Gadget ;)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
When I think of 'cyberpunk', or more specifically William Gibson books, quite honestly the first thing thing comes to mind is PWEI. And if you ever have a 'club' scene in a cuberpunk movie it's got to involve lots of chains and cages and really hard reverby 80s drum machines, and people shouting. Usually some 3rd division Nine Inch Nails or Skinny Puppy knockoffs.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
PWEI absolutely, that was my first exposure to cyberpunk. I remember listening to that on the headphones while playing the SNES Judge Dred video game. For me though, cyberpunk ended in 1991 with the publication of Storming the Reality Studio, that's just my opinion, because it was so comprehensive and kind of closed the parameters of the genre. I think The Matrix would be an example of a third-order knockoff, though it seemed to predict what would come after cyberpunk, which I have to imagine is something like DMT-fiction ;)

petergunn

plywood violin
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>