3 Emperor - In the nighside eclipse
4 Mayhem - Night of the black hearts
5 Beherith - the Oath of black Blood
6 Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
7 Immortal - Pure Holocaust
8 Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi
9 Gorgoroth - Destroyer
10 Venom - Black Metal

Heh, I don't think I even own ten black metal records, but strangely, I actually have The Oath of Black Blood. Quite funny, that one.

carlos

manos de piedra
i own the top 3, plus a venom comp. also have some immortal and mayhem titles but not those on the list.

jd_

Yes! Transilvanian Hunger!

COLD... COLD....

You ever hear Isengard? Vinterskugge is the anthem to end all. Transilvanian might still edge it out for me, but it'd be a hard choice.

That's a good list but I'm a sucker for synths and the more commercial end of it so I'd probably take later albums by a few of those bands if it came down to it. At least "Anthems" by Emperor although I probably spin IX the most, and ELD (or maybe "Below The Lights") from Enslaved--but I've never heard Vikinglgr Veldi. I don't know that the album's better, but I liked the occasional twisted rock riff Satyricon started throwing in around Rebel Extravaganza. I'd add Mykskog's "Death Machine" (it's sorta DM/BM hybrid so dunno if it qualifies) beacuse it's so fast and Dodheimsgard 666 International because it's so merging of techno inspired stuff is so bizarre.

Did you ever hear "Mediolanum Capta Est", the live Mayhem album from a few years ago? It's mostly just the old stuff, but Hellhammer is a monster on it and I find I play it more than the real albums. Their new cd's good too. I'll have to check out that Beherith, I've never heard it at all.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
"Filosofem" is f*cking great...and i don't even "like" black metal! :p

-Have listened quite a lot to Ulver also...although they seem to be scowled/frowned upon in "proper" metal circles for "selling out" by going more electronic with their newer output...Garm from Ulver runs the Jester label,which puts out some real weird shit,not all of it metal! (-as you were...)
;)

jd_

Ulver have printed things like "we are not metal anymore" in liner notes though, so the accusations of them selling out isn't just because they are going more electronic. It's gone beyond "more electronic" too though hasn't it. I mean they've stopped playing guitars or singing on the records haven't they? Do they use drums even?

Last edited:

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
jd_ said:
Ulver have printed things like "we are not metal anymore" in liner notes though, so the accusations of them selling out isn't just because they are going more electronic. It's gone beyond "more electronic" too though hasn't it. I mean they've stopped playing guitars or singing on the records haven't they? Do they use drums even?
yeah, they're "electronica" now i think... ;)

jd_

Do you have their acoustic album? I've heard good things about that one but never heard it.. and one they recorded in the forest or something.

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
jd_ said:
Do you have their acoustic album? I've heard good things about that one but never heard it.. and one they recorded in the forest or something.
might have, ii've got a lot of their records laying around somewhere, but haven't actually gotten round listening to them all yet... :eek:
-if you remember what it's called,i can check and could always sort you out a copy ;)

jwd

jd_ said:

the acoustic one is okay... nothing too exciting: certainly not a patch on nattens madrigal

how does all the electronic ulver sound - is it any good?

nice list up there francesco though i would have picked anthems to the welkin at dusk for emperor; maybe some wigrid as well, or root. i'm a keen fan of some of the stuff on the tUMULt label too, like the weakling dead as dreams album, or leviathan... i've never really 'got' satyricon; and shamefully, never heard beherit...

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
Oh come on, Emperor's Wrath of the Tyrants has to be there in all its monochromatic buzzing glory, and what about Ildjarn? That dude is fucked. Plus definitely Draugar and Crebain...

Anyone interested should really check Draugar and that Wrath of the Tyrants record, which is really just Emperor's early demos/eps.

I dunno, I can only listen to the incredibly ridiculous one-man-venting-into-a-4-track-cassette vein of black metal. That shit is dope. Who's with me here?

jd_

jwd said:
the acoustic one is okay... nothing too exciting: certainly not a patch on nattens madrigal

how does all the electronic ulver sound - is it any good?

"nattens" is the forest one right? I had it in my hands once but showed restraint for some reason and then never saw it again.

I heard one of the electronic ones that was alright. Sorta sounded like Coil but not as good really. Had a Blake title.. I think songs of experience but maybe not. The ones I heard after that moved further from songs and weren't really doing it for me at all, but I have to admit the friend that was playing me the new stuff was on this whole thing about how much better they were than other black metal bands (how embarrassing the rest of them were in comparison) and it made me pretty close minded towards it.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
jwd said:
how does all the electronic ulver sound - is it any good?...

no at all, and i have doubt even on the real value of "nattens" and the acustic one (which sound like progressive folk to me). Ulver are second rate, really overvalued, i think they have little artistic merit (too intelligents?)

jwd said:
i'm a keen fan of some of the stuff on the tUMULt label too, like the weakling dead as dreams album, or leviathan... i've never really 'got' satyricon; and shamefully, never heard beherit...

tUMULT annunced years ago that they will be reissue GORE albums in a box set but nothing still came...... weren't they also to reissue SORE THROATH? They should make it!!!

Satyricon are the "Genesis" or the "Osanna" of Black Metal, very Prog; Beherith first album is very obscure because now they make (mediocre) pseudo symphonic synthetizer music and disowned it, but is Black at is most punk and rotten and disastrously recorded (it was a demo, originally).

Last edited:

francesco

Minerva Estassi
jd_ said:
You ever hear Isengard? Vinterskugge is the anthem to end all

Ordered a copy from my favorite shop right now, should get it next week, i'm very curious of what it would sound like.

jd_

Aww man. I got obsessed with that song when I first heard it. I'm not sure what to even compare it too, the production is like Darkthrone but it's not really black metal. There's weird stuff going on in the mix all over that disc.. a weird sound.. I guess it's a synth, but it sounds like the screech of someone moving a chair on hard flooring. It comes in one of the later songs and pushes the disc over the top. I'm still looking for a cd copy.

jwd

francesco said:
no at all, and i have doubt even on the real value of "nattens" and the acustic one (which sound like progressive folk to me). Ulver are second rate, really overvalued, i think they have little artistic merit (too intelligents?)

Really? You don't like that 'chainsaw-through-the-head' sound of "Nattens"? Kinda intense treble, swarm-of-bees sound? It's awesome. I'd agree on the acoustic one though, it's a bit boring.

tUMULT annunced years ago that they will be reissue GORE albums in a box set but nothing still came...... weren't they also to reissue SORE THROATH? They should make it!!!

Yeah that would be great, I'll ask Andee what the deal is and get back to you.

Satyricon are the "Genesis" or the "Osanna" of Black Metal, very Prog; Beherith first album is very obscure because now they make (mediocre) pseudo symphonic synthetizer music and disowned it, but is Black at is most punk and rotten and disastrously recorded (it was a demo, originally).

Ooooh I need to hear some of this stuff. People down here have been going on about that Greek band called END as well, are they any good?

francesco

Minerva Estassi
jwd said:
Really? You don't like that 'chainsaw-through-the-head' sound of "Nattens"? Kinda intense treble, swarm-of-bees sound? It's awesome

When i listened to it some years ago looked to me like a conceptual Darkthrone homage, but without the songs or the intention being so intense, even if the sound was devastating, so I choose the acustic one because seemed more original. Wrong choose probably and then when I listened to their double cd dedicated to Blake i decided that changing sound every album show how much you are clever, but lacks in inspiration and attitude. I would reconsider "nattens" if i came to listen to it again.

jwd said:
People down here have been going on about that Greek band called END as well, are they any good

Never heard of them, but there are millions of Black metal bands. I am very careful with anything after 1995, after the innovators came tons of second rate unoriginal followers, and probably something very good get drowned in the sea of mediocrity that still flow. I still think, even if i have maybe about 30 or more black metal (not counting the death metal and the old school of black, Bathory, Merciful Fate, Venom, Black Sabbath, etc.) cds, that the first three on the list I posted are sadly miles above everything else in the genre, and irripetible.

Anyway yesterday I bought the CODEX NECRO by Anaal Natrackh but still have to listen, it had to wait until i stop with the John Gibbs Anthology on Trojan and the DFA and Kylie compilations!!!