Topic 2: Amy Winehouse- Inform The American

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I just found out THIS woman existed last month (thank God for blogs and music messageboards). Other than bits of information and the odd YouTube clip here and there, I honestly don't know how it's possible that I've never heard of this woman before. I heard stories that she may be/may have been a drunk and she (much like Lily Allen) likes to talk about about people in the industry (none of whom I know anything about, either since I'm American) and some other stuff about her fluctuating weight (I have no idea what she currently looks like, mind you). How is she regarded, personally and talentwise? Please help me once again...Inform the ignorant American (This has the potential to become a series. LOL.) One.

mms

sometimes
she's awful but there is 5% of me that fancies her.
which is weird and i can't explain.

benjybars

village elder.
she bought me a tequila once! she was very drunk and i reckon she thought i was someone else but whatever.. free drink!

tox

Factory Girl
I actually like(d) Amy Winehouse. I remember hopping down to one of her very early shows (after a few spins on that old trend setter, Gilles Peterson's worldwide). It was pretty empty, but she played a good solo set, just her and a guitar, which endeared me to a few of her tracks and especially Take The Box.

The new record isn't any where near as soulful as the last one though and that single Rehab is really really bad.

Overall though I'd say she got unfairly tarred with a brush that was also used on utter shit like Joss Stone. That's a shame, cos she's far better than that. I would say she's an example of some real attitude, especially in comparison to someone like Lily Allen (who I also happen to like). She was doing the indie hate thing long before Lily and some of her shambolic radio interviews betrayed her lack of PR shine.

Still, easier to dismiss as coffee-table crap I guess...

gumdrops

shes really not that bad. or she wasnt that bad. the new stuff ive heard was a bit shit. they seem to have stripped her of her personality, and interesting quirks and blanded them out a lot (eg - rehab) this time. some of the music on her debut did occasionally err a bit into dinner party music but her lyrics, storytelling and songwriting is what made it one of the best UK soul albums in the last few years. the new album unfortunately is crappily kitsch and almost big beat sounding in places. shame cos i really thought she would be someone to keep an eye on.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Haven't heard the new album, but, as others have said, her stuff was alright.

God help us that she should be tarred with the same brush as the personality, soul-free Joss Stone - was she really?

gumdrops

although her voice falters and goes a bit off key at times (she really should sort that out), theres a cover of the shirrelles will you still love me tomorrow that i have of hers which is just her and her guitar which i think is quite lovely

tox

Factory Girl
although her voice falters and goes a bit off key at times (she really should sort that out), theres a cover of the shirrelles will you still love me tomorrow that i have of hers which is just her and her guitar which i think is quite lovely

I'd quite like to hear that cover if it's possible...

I got hold of the new album a couple of days ago and it's actually not that bad. It sets a different mood to the first, which takes a little while to adjust to, but as a whole it works pretty well. There aren't any massive stand-outs like Take The Box, but worth a little look all the same I'd say.

throughsilver

I like her sense of rhythm, to be honest. Little things like the way she drags out that 'no-no-no' sound, just slightly behind the beat. It's only a small thing (and potentially damning with faint praise), but in this world of careers based around pseudo-individualisation, the Devil is in the details.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
needs a dinner
mind you its not surprising she lost weight-she used to smoke 2 oz of weed a week!
(i've known some pot-heads in my time but thats going some)

still sexy even though she looks like a drag version of herself.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I finally got around to listening to her new album earlier today, it is much better than I expected. The production is spectacular, craggy and glossy at once, and I LOVE her whiskey-timbred voice. The muzak accusations are a little bit unfair I think, this is a far cry from Dido-land.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
its not the anesthetized sound of Dido, so much as the sound to which Jools Holland undoubtedly beats off to....

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Thanks....

Now I just need to find out who in the hell Lesley Joseph is, who Pete Doherty is (I heard that he knocked up Kate Moss...people REALLY find her attractive? I'm shocked), actually try to find some Jools Holland footage and I'll be on the road to understanding some of these references! One.

gumdrops

the new albums a bit of a grower, actually. its still a bit kitsch but i suppose thats her way of showing the chiffons/shirrelles etc influence without sounding retro. the song loves a losing game is the best track IMO

Last edited: