grime mixtapes/albums/compilations

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
I was just wondering what people's favourites are? the whole area is a minefield of things that aren't as good as people say there are, or kind of weak in comparison to what that same person does on pirate radio.

here're mine:
aim high vol. 2 & 3
neckle camp - straight necklin
rinsessions vol.1
JME - Poomplex

Clubberlang

First Dizzee album, of course
Statik's Connected (second best grime full length)
Lord of the Decks 1 & 2 (the first is still the best grime mixtape)
Aim High 2
Essential's Heating
Street Anthems 1 & 2

boomnoise

♫
I'm going to look ahead a little bit and go for future albums/mixtapes which i have no doubt will rank amongst my favourites

ruff sqwad -guns n rosez vol 2
plasticman - beg to differ
va - voice of grime
wonder - welcome to wonderland.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
90% of mixtapes are 80% fillers. thankfully the remainder is 20% killers... at the same price as a grime 12", so I dont resent buying them ( as i did today, picking up Frisco, Shizzle and Wiley's).

My faves are:

Dizzee's Dirty Stank Nike mix
Logan Sama's 1st mixtape
Aim High 2
Doctor's Mixtape
Eye of the Tiger Vol 1
Roll Deep Creeper vol 1

i'm sure i've forgotten a few others...

bruno

est malade
my favourites are these:

street beats, slimzee disc (2003)
very violent (for a mainstream comp) introduction to dark garage. gods gift riding over alias' gladiator = intensity. nice graphics, too.

box bloody fresh tape pack, garage disc (2004)
lots of great east co stuff on this one, armshouse, gangsta toyz, etc. nice photo of towerblocks.

essentials stop the decks tape (2004)
macabre unit tape (2004)
both procured through slsk. macabre unit are/were criminally underrated (and their vinyl very shoddily pressed!).

ruff sqwad guns n roses vol 1 (2005)
like boomnoise i'm eagerly awaiting vol 2

30 storage tower mixtape (2005)
the last grime tape to give me a rush, from then on my interest has nosedived..

boomnoise

♫
90% of mixtapes are 80% fillers. thankfully the remainder is 20% killers... at the same price as a grime 12", so I dont resent buying them ( as i did today, picking up Frisco, Shizzle and Wiley's).

you resented buying them or you didn't... sorry?

for me so far, tunnel vision has been immense.

boomnoise

♫
my favourites are these:

...box bloody fresh tape pack, garage disc (2004)
lots of great east co stuff on this one, armshouse, gangsta toyz, etc. nice photo of towerblocks...

jookie mundo, preshus, maxwell d - ballers is one of my favourite tracks from that period. proper pop.

gumdrops

rinsessions is the best grime mix-CD pack i think ive ever bought.
as blackdown said. most mixtapes are saddled with filler and a lot of dross which is why most of the poompplex and 2nd phaze and tunnel vision CDs are mostly dissapointing IMO.

viktorvaughn

It can be tricky keeping up with mixtapes. Some faves-

Creeper I and II, especially the first. Some priceless bits on these.

Guns n Roses I - sounds a lot like an album so to speak and is generally accommplished and one of the most sustained grime full lengths ever made in my opinion.

Tunnell Vision I and II and 2nd phaze - obviously.

Verse 2- Chapters 2-22 - Tinie Tempa. Decent effort and some good skilled wordplay.

D Double - On the Double. Dont think this is offical as i downloaded it, its just a collected greatest hits i think.

NAA and mastermind Troopers - Bearmans crew with Lioness, Blazer and others. Some nice beats but the MCs dont have enough depth in thier bars and resort to re-using them too much. Fender comes off like a porr mans Bruza.

Both Aftershock and Jah Mek The World have put out album sampler/mixtapes which are of middling quality in my opinion.

Logan Samas War Report obviously is essential too.

And on a garge/grime tip the PAUG compilation from 2001 i think mixed by Slimzee and Geeneus with Wiley and Gods Gift on MIC is excellent. Funny hearing Wiley talking about his ice bling and his mac rather than his cold heart, icy nature etc etc.

Last edited:

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
if the mix CDs were £12-15 i'd resent it. but as they're £6-7 i dont at all. it's like buying a good 12" but with 15 bonus tracks :)

You know what, that made me realise why I prefer listening to sets --> it's like a mixtape/compilation (with quite a few good tunes) with a bonus set afeterwards.....
Then it also has a build up and is much more a finished show than a mix cd.

But yeah, I don't only listen to free downloads...
Guns and roses 1 tops the all time list
rinsessions a close second (quality and quantity)
Ghetto 2000 and life has a few diamants (Love you feel vocal!!!!!), but you come away being scared...
Statik connected is great as well

gumdrops

as well as rinsessions (which i cant recommend enough) i would recommend some of the sidewinder cd packs with good grime sets on them like the one with kano and lethal b and the earlier one with roll deep (when dizzee was still in the lineup)

Cornflake

definately
Ruff Squad- Guns n Roses
Wiley- 2nd Phaze (i dont care how much hate it gets i love it...i got it from ukrecordshop's site for signing up 15 ppl for the site)
Big Narstie- Whats the Story Brixton Glory (not cause its the best grime cd, but i like that he has the balls to give another direction a shot)
Ldotman- Facts of Life Vol 1
Roll Deep- Creeper Vol 1

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I don't understand why everyone likes Statik's Connected so much. I bought it on vinyl going on the hype it got, and it turned out to be one of the worst records I own. It has two good tracks, and one of them is only on the CD version.

"Niggerboy"? Come on.

gumdrops

mixtapes i cant find anywhere :
this slew dem one
the newham generals new one which is supposed to be out there

shame cos these are the ones i really want to hear. but if these are only average, i think im gonna stop buying these things and stick only to downloading them.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I don't understand why everyone likes Statik's Connected so much. I bought it on vinyl going on the hype it got, and it turned out to be one of the worst records I own. It has two good tracks, and one of them is only on the CD version.

"Niggerboy"? Come on.

You know what, I listened to it on vyniil and didn't buy it. Then when it came out on cd (about a year later) I buoght and thouroughly enjoyed it....