songs which are me or everybody?

mr_bottom

keeping it rural
recently i've felt bogged down with the cds and records i've got, so many average expanses between the sparkles.

but it's so hard to say goodbye! is it that i never know when i might need it? or it reminds me of when i listened to it? or maybe it'll grow on me? i mistakenly dismissed olives as evil grapes when i was young, don't want to make the same mistake with music (do i?).

so i figured maybe burn the whole lot? just keep the really good stuff. a bit of this, a bit of that (and before i know it, plenty of the other). and soon there's nothing on the bonfire but marshmallows, and i can't find myself amongst the clutter of average songs.

yes, my flat is full of bus tickets and marmalade jars.

anyone else experienced such rubbish? is it itunes syndrome?

maybe it's a doctor i need to be telling this to?

budub

la di da
heres my approach:

garments that havent been worn in a year - give to a friend or goodwill
music that i havent listened to in three to five years- see above

and if theres something that doesnt fit these conditions, and i know ill regret doing a clean sweep, then i keep it and reexamine next time around

nomos

Administrator
I did a huge clearout last year and got rid of a couple of hundred CDs and about half as much vinyl. It was liberating. A comprehensive musical enema. In a few cases I let myself rip a CD but I was pretty ruthless. I've had almost no regrets since and the money I got for it allowed for a new vinyl spending spree.

(Nothing wrong with bus tickets and marmalade jars)

Specsa

Wild Horses
My flat is full of vinyl. It's becoming a bit of a problem but I've never been able to manage to choose what I could be able to part with. Of course, there's bits in there that most likely will never, ever listen to again, but the lingering feeling of 'possible needing that at some point' is something that I haven't yet been able to overcome.

It seems that the the very few ones I've sold are the ones are the ones I will be looking for later on.. and the last couple of years I've developed this idea of having a permanent collection, where every record ever acquired never leaves it. A solution is needed, for practical reasons, but not having to listened to it in <enter amount of time here> has not worked for me, at all. Worth saying I suppose, is that I generally don't receive many promos at all, and most of the stuff there is something I've chosen myself and have parted some cash for.

it's kind of nice having to organise your furniture around the records though, puts everything in perspective... at least for the time being

//sire

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Unless you're a librarian or an archivist, get rid of anything you haven't made yourself, and anything you haven't looked at in six months. You can always find stuff online if it anything really sticks, but it doesn't, it's just stuff.

woops

is not like other people
I must be a librarian

Unless you're a librarian or an archivist, get rid of anything you haven't made yourself, and anything you haven't looked at in six months. You can always find stuff online if it anything really sticks, but it doesn't, it's just stuff.

Yes, you'll always be able to find IT online. Stuff you've put on lay-away for years is unconditionally guaranteed to be instantly accessible at the illegal click of an expired link served by advertising in perpetuity. www.let's_take_it_back_fifteen_years.com archives all my favourite vinyl crackle from all my favourite Stereolab B-sides, to be automatically cross-mixed with the Np3 ringtone re-code (original pocket mix).

It's not as if all my vinyl is on non-stop rotation both sides every week, but they're so heavy that I must be carting them round for some sentimental reason. They haven't affected my feng shui, yet, but they're harder to step on and completely erase than an iPod, and there's some kind of history in there that I feel the need to hang on to. It really sticks.

DJ PIMP

you are not your record collection. that said, you would have to pry my hard drive from my cold dead hands.

bollocks to the nonsense about physicality or records being tangible; thats nostalgia talking.

go mp3! reclaim your lounge! just make sure you have the drive mirrored...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yes, you'll always be able to find IT online. Stuff you've put on lay-away for years is unconditionally guaranteed to be instantly accessible at the illegal click of an expired link served by advertising in perpetuity. www.let's_take_it_back_fifteen_years.com archives all my favourite vinyl crackle from all my favourite Stereolab B-sides, to be automatically cross-mixed with the Np3 ringtone re-code (original pocket mix).

It's not as if all my vinyl is on non-stop rotation both sides every week, but they're so heavy that I must be carting them round for some sentimental reason. They haven't affected my feng shui, yet, but they're harder to step on and completely erase than an iPod, and there's some kind of history in there that I feel the need to hang on to. It really sticks.

I love librarians and archivists! It wasn't a dis, sorry if it came across that way.

But.. I'm right in that mood at the moment, and I got rid of all my possessions. 36 years of history. Bye bye.

Who's gonna go through your possessions when you're dead? How unfair is that?