Researchers find way to improve musical performance

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
http://www.ic.ac.uk/p4330.htm

Researchers from Imperial College London and Charing Cross Hospital have discovered a way to help musicians improve their musical performances by an average of up to 17 per cent, equivalent to an improvement of one grade or class of honours.

The research published in this months edition of Neuroreport, shows that using a process known as neurofeedback, students at London's Royal College of Music were able to improve their performance across a number of areas including their musical understanding and imagination, and their communication with the audience.

Dr Tobias Egner, from Imperial College London at Charing Cross Hospital, one of the authors of the study, comments: "This is a unique use of neurofeedback. It has been used for helping with a number of conditions such as attention deficit disorder and epilepsy, but this is the first time it has been used to improve a complex set of skills such as musical performance in healthy students."

Two experiments were conducted involving a total of 97 students. In both experiments, the students were assessed on two pieces of music, both before and after the neurofeedback training, according to a 10-point scale adapted from a standard set of music performance evaluation criteria of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, by a panel of expert judges. The judges evaluated video-recorded performances, and were unaware of whether the performance had been given before or after the intervention.

Neurofeedback monitors brain activity through sensors attached to the scalp which filter out the brainwaves. These filtered brainwaves are then fed back to the individual in the form of a video game displayed on screen, and the participant learns to control the game by altering particular aspects of their brain activity. This alteration in brain activity can influence cognitive performance.

In the first experiment, 22 students out of 36 were trained on two neurofeedback protocols (SMR and beta1), commonly used as tools for the enhancement of attention, and, following this, on a deep relaxation alpha/theta (a/t) protocol. In addition a second group of 12 was engaged in a regime of weekly physical exercise and a mental skills training programme derived from applications in sports psychology. A third group consisted of a scholastic grade and age matched no-training group, which served as a control grade.

In the second experiment, a different cohort of students were randomly allocated to one of six training groups: alpha/theta neurofeedback, beta1 neurofeedback, SMR neurofeedback, physical exercise, mental skills training, or a group that engaged in Alexander Technique training.

All of the students who received neurofeedback training were found to have improved their performances marginally compared with those who received other forms of training, but those who had received the alpha/theta (a/t) protocol improved their performance the most. The range of improvement in performance for the alpha/theta group was between 13.5 per cent and 17 per cent.

Professor John Gruzelier, from Imperial College London at Charing Cross Hospital, and senior author of the study, adds: "These results show that neurofeedback can have a marked effect on musical performance. The alpha/theta training protocol has found promising applications as a complementary therapeutic tool in post-traumatic stress disorder and alcoholism. While it has a role in stress reduction by reducing the level of stage fright, the magnitude and range of beneficial effects on artistic aspects of performance have wider implications than alleviating stress."

Theta stuff is the low end level of the frequency, no? What does this tell us about dubstep?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yeah but there's a big difference in 'performance' when it comes to electronica and rock.

With electronica everything is pre-recorded on DAt or Vinyl, and is quite a lazy way to perform.

Rock you need to actually phyicallly and mentally PLAY.

Norma Snockers

Yeah but there's a big difference in 'performance' when it comes to electronica and rock.

With electronica everything is pre-recorded on DAt or Vinyl, and is quite a lazy way to perform.

You must be pretty old/jaded to say that with all honesty.

enneff

Andrew
The hating going on here is pretty off-the-mark anyway, in that the article basically says that they've developed a way of exercising and improving brain activity directly. This should have pretty interesting ramifications across the board, I'd imagine.

mistersloane

The hating going on here is pretty off-the-mark anyway, in that the article basically says that they've developed a way of exercising and improving brain activity directly. This should have pretty interesting ramifications across the board, I'd imagine.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking when I posted it. They've already put it as part of the SYLLABUS at the London College apparently, and are going to be introducing it to ballet dancers next. It's fucking fascinating.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Its interesting, but this only a study on performance, not creativity, which would be more fundamentally of note. In essence they have trained them to be better robotic replicators of the score or as interpretive performers? I guess that would depend on the people marking them.

mistersloane

Its interesting, but this only a study on performance, not creativity, which would be more fundamentally of note. In essence they have trained them to be better robotic replicators of the score or as interpretive performers? I guess that would depend on the people marking them.

They appear to be inferring that the alpha/theta wave subjection plus the conditioning process allows for both better score replicators ( 'technical' musicianship ) and more fluidity in interpretation.
Would creativity be of more fundamental note? Why? What is it? And how would one measure it?

borderpolice

Would creativity be of more fundamental note? Why? What is it? And how would one measure it?

"Creativity" is a term that we use when we don't quite understand how somebody does something socially desirable. hence, i guess, the way to measure creativity is to poll people: "is x more creative than y?" kind of thing ...

Incidentally, a friend of mine carries out the research this thread is about. crazy stuff!

mistersloane

"Creativity" is a term that we use when we don't quite understand how somebody does something socially desirable. hence, i guess, the way to measure creativity is to poll people: "is x more creative than y?" kind of thing ...

Incidentally, a friend of mine carries out the research this thread is about. crazy stuff!

Get them online! I'd like to ask some questions!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Performing is a completely different task in many respects to actually composing (providing of course they weren't improvising). Perhaps a study on improving improvisatory techniques might be another thing they could try? I'm fundamentally more interested in composition than performance because, as our good friend Buick so aptly put it

"there's a big difference in 'performance' when it comes to electronica and rock. With electronica everything is pre-recorded on DAt or Vinyl, and is quite a lazy way to perform. Rock you need to actually phyicallly and mentally PLAY."

DJL

i'm joking
"there's a big difference in 'performance' when it comes to electronica and rock. With electronica everything is pre-recorded on DAt or Vinyl, and is quite a lazy way to perform. Rock you need to actually phyicallly and mentally PLAY."

But there is no difference between rock and elctronica if you include the dj. Play is essentially all the dj does.

This research being focused on the benefit solely to music makes no sense whatsover as someone has mentioned.

mistersloane

Performing is a completely different task in many respects to actually composing (providing of course they weren't improvising). Perhaps a study on improving improvisatory techniques might be another thing they could try? I'm fundamentally more interested in composition than performance because, as our good friend Buick so aptly put it

An utterly useless and reactionary ideal with regard the notion of digital live performance, showing a profound ignorance of electronic compositional forms.

Reading on the net, you find examples of people who it has helped with regard improvisation. I'm not defendign this process, however, not yet. I wouldn't recommend a drug I hadn't tried, similarly.

KernKätzchen

Some incredibly bone-headed responses being posted here in reaction to a very interesting piece of research – one, nonetheless, that probably doesn’t tell us anything about dubstep. Still interested? Good.

Re. Gek: your view of musical performance as being a choice between ‘robotic reproduction of the score’ and ‘interpretative performance’ is completely false: all performances are interpretative and therefore creative because a musical score, however detailed, does not contain enough information to prescribe all the aspects of performance. You only have to listen to a stack of old LPs to see how performances of classical pieces change over the decades (vastly, in case you’re wondering) to realise that there is creativity in performance. You could even go as far as to say that each piece is ‘composed’ anew each time it is performed, which is why your later opposition of performance and composition (composition being the more worthwhile endeavour of course, in line with the old linear model that has been applied to Western classical music for approximately the last 300 years), is equally nonsensical. Valid point raised by Buick 6 in that a lot of electronic music is pre-recorded and so eliminates the role of the performer-interpreter as conventionally understood, but I’d question whether that makes the electronic music performer ‘lazy’.

Re. Swears: As far as measuring creativity goes, that’s more tricky because as performance style changes over time, the criteria for what makes a ‘successful’ performance also change. But the more you learn about music the more you realise that judging musical understanding and imagination is not a ‘dubious’ endeavour: there are ways of assessing the extent to which a particular performance successfully conveys the inherent sense or ‘content’ of the score, according to the way in which is perceived at a particular point in history. As a result, there is to a large extent a general consensus among experts at any one time about what a ‘good’ performance is, give or take a little individual bias on the judge’s part. The standards arising from this get applied in music schools, which is why assessing the students in the way the study does is not the pointless, completely subjective exercise you seem to be suggesting it is.

Incidentally, borderpolice, I would have thought polling people is about the worst possible way to measure whether or not something/one is ‘creative’. People voted Robbie Williams the best musician of the last millennium. Creativity is more than mere social desirability. In fact they’re probably largely opposed to one another.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah, ignore the boneheads. Being GOOD at performing as a DJ or electronic musician is far from easy or lazy. If you think so, go make a living doing it and let me know when you do. It's easy to do anything in a half assed lazy fashion.

I'd sign up for this in a second. I'm a composing and performing DJ. I'm serious, holler at me on here if you need someone in NYC.

Sounds very interesting. Sounds basically like a form of assisted meditation, amplification (in the form of the game) of your brain responses which allows you to become more aware of your mental processes and start to control them. I'm sure this type of training would have many many uses outside of the categories we're discussing.

soundslike1981

I thought you were quitting this place?