Dmz

Octopus?

Sorry to derail the music threads with a purely personal request, but who knows...this could prompt some interesting discussion as well!

Living in a very small prairie town in Canada, dubstep has been fairly inaccessible (short of the Kode 9/Spaceape, Burial and Rephelx Grime comps) but a national distributor has just started carrying some DMZ vinyl. The following is what is available:

LOEFAH-Ruffage/Mud 12"
LOEFAH/DMZ Tectonic Plate 3
DIGITALMYSTIKZ/SKRE AM-Ancient Memories Remix 12"
DIGITALMYSTIKZ/SKRE-Ancient Memories White Label 12"
DIGITAL MYSTIKZ-Haunted/Anti War Dub 12"
COKI-Officer/Mood Dub 12"
LOEFAH-Root/The Goat Stare 12"
LOEFAH & MALA-Twisup VIP-Da Wrath 12"

All not exactly pricey, but I'm also not exactly rich. Any suggestions as to the essentials would be much appreciated...I've downloaded some Loefah and Digital Mystikz but, unfortunately, my computer at home has crapped itself and file names and info are currently unavailable to me.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
OK... in order of buying priority:

LOEFAH-Ruffage/Mud 12"
Fantastic. Buy it.

DIGITALMYSTIKZ/SKRE AM-Ancient Memories Remix 12"
Great! Possibly the best tune dubstep has produced.

DIGITALMYSTIKZ/SKRE-Ancient Memories White Label 12"
Should be exactly the same as the above. GBet the proper release.

LOEFAH/DMZ Tectonic Plate 3
Loefah's System is great; the Mystikz' Molten isn't all that good IMO.

LOEFAH-Root/The Goat Stare 12"
Early-ish classic, very good indeed

COKI-Officer/Mood Dub 12"
Early, but fantastic. Mood Dub is my favourite DMZ tune.

DIGITAL MYSTIKZ-Haunted/Anti War Dub 12"
A classic. Possibly limited replay potential.

LOEFAH & MALA-Twisup VIP-Da Wrath 12"
Early, not so great compared to later stuff.

You should also check out Bleep (search on there for Road, go to DMZ) for more, cheap, dubstep goodness.

And go to Barefiles for unlimited, free, dubstep radio shows and dj mixes. Look for the recent Digital Mystikz on Kiss with Crazy D set, and the Digital Mystikz Essential mix, for starters.

And download my DJ mixes - just look in the events and music section of dissensus.

nomos

Administrator
They're all very good, but my top 4 in no order would be:

Twisup VIP-Da Wrath
Officer/Mood Dub
Haunted/Anti War Dub
Root/The Goat Stare

You can preview all of them at boomkat.com I think. I know most people would say get Mud/Ruffage as well. It just never struck a chord with me. Ancient Memories Remix and Ancient Memories White Label would be the same thing. Not that into the Tectonic release. They have much better material on dub.

Which prairie town (I grew up in Winnipeg) and which distributor?

Quite a few Canadian dubsteppers at Riddim.ca

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Definitely get Da Wrath - thats hard to come by now.

But you should get as many as possible out of the rest!

Octopus?

You should also check out Bleep (search on there for Road, go to DMZ) for more, cheap, dubstep goodness.

And go to Barefiles for unlimited, free, dubstep radio shows and dj mixes. Look for the recent Digital Mystikz on Kiss with Crazy D set, and the Digital Mystikz Essential mix, for starters.

And download my DJ mixes - just look in the events and music section of dissensus.

Thanks for the recommendations, just sent off an e-mail to inquire re: availability of most of the suggestions (after doing some more digging and reading through this thread, I've ended up ordering almost everything anyway...putting another strain on the pocket book.

Put those suggested links aside while I try to resurrect my computer...a huge thanks, can't wait for the dubstep deluge!

Octopus?

They're all very good, but my top 4 in no order would be:

Twisup VIP-Da Wrath
Officer/Mood Dub
Haunted/Anti War Dub
Root/The Goat Stare

You can preview all of them at boomkat.com I think. I know most people would say get Mud/Ruffage as well. It just never struck a chord with me. Ancient Memories Remix and Ancient Memories White Label would be the same thing. Not that into the Tectonic release. They have much better material on dub.

Which prairie town (I grew up in Winnipeg) and which distributor?

Quite a few Canadian dubsteppers at Riddim.ca

I think I'm going to go for the Mud/Ruffage as well, just due to how much I remember enjoying the limited Loefah I heard before the crash. Thanks again for the remainder of the suggestions...can't wait to hear Haunted and Da Wrath properly.

I'm from the frozen barrens of Winnipeg myself, born and raised. Where did you escape to?

Can't wait to dig deeper into this once I'm electronically connected again...not a whole lot I can do here from work.