'ardkore journalists on early electronic music

swears

preppy-kei
These were interesting...I've only ever thing I've ever heard in this niche is the Clockwork Orange soundtrack by Walter Carlos.

Holzman comments: "It didn't take much genius to figure out that the record was the ideal medium for electronically generated music. I had been aware of the possibilities for years. My dad had a lawyer named Abe Frisch whose hobby was creating tapes of music, synthetically generated, only Abe did it with a massive inventory of tiny magnets which he pressed, one by one, onto the tape, re-arranging the ferrous oxide tape particles into something resembling a sound."

That's pretty wild, sort of like the idea of scratching music straight onto a vinyl disc, wonder what it actually sounds like, just a load of static and clicking?

I'd love to see some similar pieces on 80s video game soundtracks. I love the way fellas like Jeron Tel had to push something as ultra basic as a Commodore64 SID chip to it's limits to get a wider range of sounds. This idea may sound silly now, but I'm sure all those old Moog records seemed silly twenty years ago in the era of the Fairlight and Yamaha DX7, before people like Stereolab and The Beastie Boys started singing their praises and analog synths aquired a certain retro charm.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I was hoping this would turn up on youtube. a '4-deck' tape-loop riddim special. Delia was The Shit. bow down and worship, muthafuckerz...

and here's some more about moogs. very educational innit

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Numbers

If interested in Moog, you probably should see the interview vids with the man himself at the Red Bull Academy. If you didn't already, that is.

link 1
link 2

polystyle

Actually, those 'old Moog records' and Moogs themselves sounded fine 20 years ago ...
They were one way to go,
easier to use then the Fairlight (expensive, bulky and the sounds -not all that)
and we used the DX, Rolands, Boss at the same time.