next level consumer products

zhao

there are no accidents
eno has released new dvd/book box:

http://www.77millionpaintings.com/

he has talked about future models for distribution of music/art... more integrated audio and visual components, much more space for interactivity - so that the artist/musician moves toward role of interface designer... (people like Marcus Schmickler of Oval also has similar aspirations) and also music albums that will be set to randomizing algorythms, so that every timeyou play it it's different.

(someone was telling me that this last part has been done... by an unlikely artist... like a crap/classic rock dude did it - like Steve Vai or someone almost as or equally ridiculous - anyone know about this?)

but on a practical level maybe this is what musicians need to start doing, because you can jpeg the book, mp3 the music, and mpeg the video, and zip it all together and put it on rapidshare but it's just not nearly as cool as the actual box. and ofcourse if it gets to the stage of interactivity and "organic products" digital compression will not work (atleast in the first few years anyway).

thoughts?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
But it's a nice idea. I agree with Eno that computers should be used more for these generative tasks - there's a nice little essay on this in he back of his 'Diary' book.

But really, in the next decade when we are all fighting over water, food and shelter, who's going to have the time or inclination to play with this kind of thing?

mms

sometimes

(someone was telling me that this last part has been done... by an unlikely artist... like a crap/classic rock dude did it - like Steve Vai or someone almost as or equally ridiculous - anyone know about this?)

thoughts?

steve vai ain't too ridiculous, i think he is a protools master/programmer , he was in zappas band and composes all this pretentious jazzy, harmolodic style music for these instruments he gets involved in designing, whilst at the same time finds the time to rock out with horrible horrible stuff like whitesnake.
he's like zappas total protige utterly awful technicslly masterful music with out any emotion you can actually name.

zhao

there are no accidents
did someone say 'glorified screen saver'?

eno has said that his favorite thing about computers is screen savers. and in some ways I tend to agree.

but it's true, his "screen savers" are not all that exciting... even mine are better. they are done with simple linear generative structures... loops upon loops upon loops which mask and augment eachother - all being different durations so never sync up.

www.optikom.com goto play/screensavers. you can preview but not download... been too busy to take care of that

but he certainly has the right ideas as far as the next step is concerned... imagine a Ryoji Ikeda interactive toy which projects 3-D holographs... the future can be very cool. for those of us who don't die of dehydration that is.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I'm not really interested in all this interactive/multimedia malarkey. I'd just like some fresh musical content. If I had the choice between a 9 disc-virtual-multimedia-extravaganza-virtual-studio-tour-Vst plugin-box set of humdrum music or a cassette tape of the most mindblowing shit I'd ever heard, I'd know what to pick.

tate

Brown Sugar

he has talked about future models for distribution of music/art... more integrated audio and visual components, much more space for interactivity - so that the artist/musician moves toward role of interface designer... (people like Marcus Schmickler of Oval also has similar aspirations) and also music albums that will be set to randomizing algorythms, so that every timeyou play it it's different.

but on a practical level maybe this is what musicians need to start doing, because you can jpeg the book, mp3 the music, and mpeg the video, and zip it all together and put it on rapidshare but it's just not nearly as cool as the actual box. and ofcourse if it gets to the stage of interactivity and "organic products" digital compression will not work (atleast in the first few years anyway).

thoughts?
Eno's publicist must have been doing his/her job recently, as I've seen this project repeatedly profiled in past weeks, in Art News, in the music mag Filter, and so on.

zhao

there are no accidents
increasing disappointed with experimental audio/visual packages... just bought a DVD of sound by Rafael Toral and visuals by Mego's graphic designer Tina Frank -- 80 minutes of pure BULLSHIT. :mad: :mad: :mad:

guess I'll just have to make it my DAMN self.

dextro is still awesome though -- http://www.dextro.org/

Blackdown

nexKeysound
music albums that will be set to randomizing algorythms, so that every timeyou play it it's different. (someone was telling me that this last part has been done...

i met a guy who used to be in Test Department who was working on what he called "generative music" in about 2000. he gave me a CD that played differerent tunes on a Mac each time you listened to them. anyone know anything more about generative music?

(ps the one thought i always come back to with the "every time unique" idea is ok so it's the next step up from computer arrangements but... surely this is just the same as traditional live performance?)

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
i met a guy who used to be in Test Department who was working on what he called "generative music" in about 2000. he gave me a CD that played differerent tunes on a Mac each time you listened to them. anyone know anything more about generative music?

(ps the one thought i always come back to with the "every time unique" idea is ok so it's the next step up from computer arrangements but... surely this is just the same as traditional live performance?)

I have been intrigued by the idea behind this for a few years:

http://www.sseyo.com/products/koanpro/index.html

Here is some music created with this tool. Some music Eno did with it is one of the examples:

http://www.sseyo.com/products/koancontent/index.html

I have not tried it and i have not heard the music made with it yet, but it looks interesting.

Last edited:

vache

he has talked about future models for distribution of music/art... more integrated audio and visual components, much more space for interactivity - so that the artist/musician moves toward role of interface designer... (people like Marcus Schmickler of Oval also has similar aspirations)

I think you mean Markus Popp. Marcus Schmickler is neither a PR machine, nor a pretentious schmuck. ;)

shudder

have any of you played around with Max/MSP?? You can make some really cool computer interfaces for real objects without having to be *too much* of a techy... The grad. students in computer music at my school used to make pretty cool live/interactive type things, sometimes with visual stuff. A lot of it didn't sound great, but sometimes it did. This guy had a pretty cool project once, I remember, using low-voltage electricity and skin contact.... Check out this video about it. Sure, it's a bit hippy, and the music isn't mindblowing, but kinda cool nonetheless.