another poke in the US/UK pop music challenge: 'naturalism'

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Not sure if the notion of 'naturalism' relating to the difference b/w the UK and US bands, esp. during the fog of later post-punk has been discussed.

Listening to the STONE ROSES first album after delving into the Talking Heads catalogue, it became quite obvious how 'blurred' the guitar sounds are on the STONERS record, and how this sort 'blurred', emasculated guitar sound became the signature for UK guitar music all through the 90s...

But it could also be noted similarly to the dance music. The UK stuff had a cheaper, sorta Amiga processed sound, unlike the US Acid and Detroit gear, and had pretty much nothing to return with in regards to say Jeff Mills concrete freak-loops...

I'm kinda ignorant to contempo music, but I think that 'blurry' or semi-digital reverbed sound has faded by the wayside with the nu UK bands.

But by and large, American pop musics generally have a stronger 'naturalism' to their sounds - whether via guitars or synth/digital electronics - something the UK masic hasn't had since prolly Pink Floyd, Throbbing Gristle or Motorhead, me thinks. :cool:

Last edited:

Norma Snockers

Not sure if the notion of 'naturalism' relating to the difference b/w the UK and US bands, esp. during the fog of later post-punk has been discussed.

Listening to the STONE ROSES first album after delving into the Talking Heads catalogue, it became quite obvious how 'blurred' the guitar sounds are on the STONERS record, and how this sort 'blurred', emasculated guitar sound became the signature for UK guitar music all through the 90s...

But it could also be noted similarly to the dance music. The UK stuff had a cheaper, sorta Amiga processed sound, unlike the US Acid and Detroit gear, and had pretty much nothing to return with in regards to say Jeff Mills concrete freak-loops...

I'm kinda ignorant to contempo music, but I think that 'blurry' or semi-digital reverbed sound has faded by the wayside with the nu UK bands.

But by and large, American pop musics generally have a stronger 'naturalism' to their sounds - whether via guitars or synth/digital electronics - something the UK masic hasn't had since prolly Pink Floyd, Throbbing Gristle or Motorhead, me thinks. :cool:

Haha! You're Australian!

Troy

31 Seconds
Guitar TONE was pretty much lost throughout the whole Eighties. I think maybe Montrose is the only one who had a nice fat tone. No digital plug-in can compete with a huge stack of Marshalls....