isn't MySpace the Next Big Thing?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
seems to be. I started dicking around on it, and it's kinda fun. I've been able to hear some pretty fresh and interesting music from around the world (and some dreck, but it's all part of the wank), stuff that won't get played on even the co-opted by the co-op Public Radio and what have you. I mean older-hipster fuckwits (myself included) may not 'get it' but the kids defintely do, and they follow bands and go out and partake in the 'culture' via it, I mean bands like the Arctic Monkey's and Jet seem to use it to powerful effect for their audience, I don't see why older hipsters don't use it the same if they still have their 'cult' followings? Why the taboo?

It also works in a pirate radio sort of way in regards to 'airplay'.

Sure it's horrible corporate vomit, and Murdoch, and it makes you wonder why such an obvious, poorly compiled and diificult to navagate system has become so massive (obviously a new form of marketing). I guess it puts everything in the one place and is 'convenient', but there are alot of pretty cool and influential people out there using it and it seems to really be reconfiguring the music scene in a slightly different way.

Don Rosco

I don't see why older hipsters don't use it the same if they still have their 'cult' followings? Why the taboo?

I'm not sure there is one. 52% of MySpace users are over 35.

I guess it puts everything in the one place and is 'convenient', but there are alot of pretty cool and influential people out there using it and it seems to really be reconfiguring the music scene in a slightly different way.

I agree, but it is only slightly - it's a great free tool for getting your music out there, but as swears says, it's just a medium

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yeah but the medium contain a message if you get it correctly. ie: Hot new choons, genres etc..etc..

N

nomadologist

myspace

I use myspace to quell the boredom at work, and I think it's a great place to download new singles from artists all along the spectrum from unsigned to major label/major distribution. But really, since it exploded, it's more a way for hackers and advertisers to get tons of gullible teens in one place so they can commence the spyware dissemination. Friendster was better as a "social networking" site, but no one uses it anymore.

(This may be obvious, but for anyone who doesn't know yet: Don't repost or click on those damn bulletins that say "click here" or "repost" on myspace. It never ceases to amaze me how many people do.)