bobby konders (massive b)

mms

sometimes
bobby konders is well interesting,
he was a pioneer in many ways coming from the nyc soundsystem thing, white guy tho that hooked it.
he is clearly a big reggae head and then he got into doing tunes on the luscious early nyc house label nu groove and the tracks are fantastic, he sort of preempted all the warp stuff by a couple of years, dubwise, bassline leaning soundsystem friendly tunes. some of the first underground dance i personally got really into.

i've been listening to some of his radio shows downloaded from www.deephousepage.com and they're fascinating, half way thru a big well mixed dancehall set he just stops and breaks into the house music ..it's ace, i think the whole big bassline and windtunnel dub vibe is lost in house music at the mo, it needs to get deeper and dubbier, but then thats what i think about everything.

he just seems to do dancehall now, which seems to be a shame although his site is dope,
have any of you lurking journalists ever interviewed the guy?

his site is great too, he's done alot of tunes.
http://www.massiveb.com/homepage/

Eric

Mr Moraigero
mms said:
i've been listening to some of his radio shows downloaded from www.deephousepage.com and they're fascinating, half way thru a big well mixed dancehall set he just stops and breaks into the house music ..it's ace, i think the whole big bassline and windtunnel dub vibe is lost in house music at the mo, it needs to get deeper and dubbier, but then thats what i think about everything.

which of these mixes do you like? there are many ...

mms

sometimes
only a few, these'
1100. Bobby Konders
Saturday Night Dance Party, WBLS 12/30/1989
1028. Frankie Crocker Bobby Konders
WBLS Traffic Jam, NY Jun-90
985. Bobby Konders
WBLS Saturday Night Dance Party, NY Sep-89
922. Bobby Konders
WBLS, Saturday Night Dance Party Jan-89
826. Bobby Konders
WBLS, NY 7/22/1989
794. Bobby KondersJungle Brothers
Live @ Club Cheeta, NJ Feb-89
781. Bobby Konders
WBLS, New York 10/27/1989
780. Bobby Konders
Email WBLS, New York
595. Bobby Konders
WBLS, Reggae and House mix 1989

search>konders

dominic

Beast of Burden
Thanks for the tip on the website for classic Bobby Konders mixes. Will check it out soon.

I agree that the NYC house scene changed for the worse when the likes of Bobby Konders left the fold. And others, like his keyboardist Peter Daiou, simply went crap.

However, if you like dubby house music made in New York, you should check out ZEB of Organic Grooves. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely on the "Sheffield/Leeds soundsystem" tip, though also informed by gypsy music.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
dominic said:
others, like his keyboardist Peter Daiou, simply went crap.
As in he of The Daou - Give Myself To You, Tribal etc? Didn't know of that association - thanks!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
I remember Konders make one of the very first House album, it was called "Cool, Calm and Collective" and was wonderful. Never been able to find a copy for me even then ('90), figure now. I hope they will reissue it in CD, as I hope for many output of the NuGroove label. Mike Munoz "the way we were" was the first house track i ever heard, and i heard it only one time, still remember the riff. It was an illumination.

AshRa

dominic said:
And others, like his keyboardist Peter Daiou, simply went crap.

Peter Daou is on so many amazing Nu Groove records ( check out Kenny's Jazz on Powerhouse 2 ) I'm scared of finding out what he's doing now...!

mms

sometimes
nu groove don't get enuff props, the burrell brothers i think are big time responsible for what the uk idm lot did, you can hear them all over ambient works one and stuff like digeorgio. lbee bad as well, dope. he still makes tunes and they're almost good i think, which after almost 20 years doing tunes is an accomplishment.

Woebot

mms said:
nu groove don't get enuff props, the burrell brothers i think are big time responsible for what the uk idm lot did, you can hear them all over ambient works one and stuff like digeorgio. lbee bad as well, dope. he still makes tunes and they're almost good i think, which after almost 20 years doing tunes is an accomplishment.
Nu Groove are absolutely essential. I have stacks and stacks of their records. Strictly Ryhthm were pretty amazing early on too, and they were always the conceptual twin label to NG werent they.

Thing about NG was they were so effing eclectic. Its an overused word for sure. Seemed to draw in people from so many different axes, people who may have been struggling in their respective scenes and just though aw fuck it, i'll ditch the band and buy a keyboard and a sequencer....

For instance, Beltram was a heavy metal fan (esp Black Sabbath) Ronnie and Rheji Burrell were into Yellowjackets-style jazz funk, Critical Rhythm and Bobby Konders were white dancehall fans (white dancehall blokes aint going nowhere in dancehall!).

My fave Nu Groove records? Er Bas Noir "I'm Glad You Came to me", Roqui's "I've Just begun to love you" (those tunes in particular may predate the IDM Nu-RmB of Brandy's "Full Moon" by about 10 years. There are so many AMAZING one off Nu Groove records too.

I've thought for a while that the Arthur Russell crowd would probably move camp here next. Its logical innit.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's funny. konders was always more of a reggae, dub etc sort of fan in the beginning, rather than dancehall in its most bashy sense, so this crossover from druggy, gay nyc house clubs to battyboy-bunning ragga don is still a pretty big switch to my mind (not least coz it's actually quite similar to my own musical choices, except i'm not big on playing chi-chi tracks coz i don't agree with them). i'd be really interested to hear his views on this, but every attempt i've ever made to interview him has been fruitless. he's virtually impossible to get hold of, promising to do stuff, then not bothering, so if anyone here has ever managed it i'd appreciate some tips!

AshRa

WOEBOT said:
Nu Groove are absolutely essential. I have stacks and stacks of their records.

I've thought for a while that the Arthur Russell crowd would probably move camp here next. Its logical innit.

The twin appeals of Nu Groove lie in the fact that A) almost every record on the label is either fantastic or at the very least amazingly weird and B) they're always about 2 quid!

For years every time I've been suffering from 'I can't remember what I want to find' syndrome in second hand shops, "just spend a tenner on a load of Nu Groove" has always netted me some cracking records. In fact when I think about it, they're just my favourite label full stop (except maybe UR)!

It'd really be a shame if the prices went up to Arthur Russel levels - where's the fun in that?

sufi

lala
klassic!

downloaded that reggae mix last night, the set breaks into pre-black box squealing piano house about 1/2 way thru (=nice, old skool dj style)
as stelf say - good to hear some reggae from before maxi p and macca b shabbalised it

takes me back......

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
For instance, Beltram was a heavy metal fan (esp Black Sabbath) Ronnie and Rheji Burrell were into Yellowjackets-style jazz funk, Critical Rhythm and Bobby Konders were white dancehall fans (white dancehall blokes aint going nowhere in dancehall!).

My fave Nu Groove records? Er Bas Noir "I'm Glad You Came to me", Roqui's "I've Just begun to love you" (those tunes in particular may predate the IDM Nu-RmB of Brandy's "Full Moon" by about 10 years. There are so many AMAZING one off Nu Groove records too.

then you got dee and bones making early hardcore, beltram on the sublabel rhythmatic rage doing hard pre-ur acid.
my faves are utopia project and metro $1.15 please, just gorgeous, all that sparse soulfulness, much more of an inspiration to the early idm lot that derrick and that i think.

i don't think the Arthur Russell crowd will bite em cos, apart from maybe the el b bad ones they're almost all less than a tenner, there isn't that big need, also it's a label and not an individual.

not all the records were good tho..

btw talking of ar, i'm interested to know which 'whale ' mixes people on this board have, or extra curricular russell stuff , i've one or two amazing ones. i wonder if they'll get released..

xero

was minusone
AshRa said:
The twin appeals of Nu Groove lie in the fact that A) almost every record on the label is either fantastic or at the very least amazingly weird and B) they're always about 2 quid!

For years every time I've been suffering from 'I can't remember what I want to find' syndrome in second hand shops, "just spend a tenner on a load of Nu Groove" has always netted me some cracking records. In fact when I think about it, they're just my favourite label full stop (except maybe UR)!

It'd really be a shame if the prices went up to Arthur Russel levels - where's the fun in that?

sshh everyone this is how price hikes start! from now on when we want to talk about nu groove records we substitute 'defected' for 'nu groove' and we all know the code + rubbish defected records go up in price meaning that, shit everyone'll start playing them in clubs and oh I give up :confused:

Woebot

mms said:
my faves are utopia project and metro $1.15 please, just gorgeous, all that sparse soulfulness, much more of an inspiration to the early idm lot that derrick and that i think.

new york housing authority. basil hardhaus. etc ad infinitum

mms said:
i don't think the Arthur Russell crowd will bite em cos, apart from maybe the el b bad ones they're almost all less than a tenner, there isn't that big need, also it's a label and not an individual.

ah just you wait. i guarantee they'll be extremely sought after. AshRa is quite right you can still pick em up for 2 or 3 quid, but it wont last forever. i bought almost all of my Ardkore for those kind of prices, and look at me now, rolling in money ;)

mms said:
not all the records were good tho..

no. i picked up st.willie recently, and its fairly rubbish.

mms said:
btw talking of ar, i'm interested to know which 'whale ' mixes people on this board have, or extra curricular russell stuff , i've one or two amazing ones. i wonder if they'll get released..

ears prick up. which killer whale mixes?

mms

sometimes
AshRa said:
Yeah come on! Spill it! (or share it) ;)

well i've got a couple of others,' i want more' by lola and 'bombing in 5 minutes' feat bootsy but they are a bit so so .

the bombage is jhs 126 - 'chill pill ' which is amazing, if anyone remembers that flatbush project remix by i think it was autechre a few years back where they just had a slight delay on the vocal, then this is that record better 15 years before, its so simple but makes a fairly average hip hop tune (all be it produced by krevitt) sound like bladerunner future to me .
hard to describe and can't burn it but when i can you can have it.