Borat

luka

i watched this last night. its maybe the best film ever made. mark k punk says you're not allowed to like it because its made by an incredibly bright cambridge graduate so to like it is to be class traitor or something so thats another reason to love it.

argue about the greatness of borat here.

i watched this last night. its maybe the best film ever made. mark k punk says you're not allowed to like it because its made by an incredibly bright cambridge graduate so to like it is to be class traitor or something so thats another reason to love it.

argue about the greatness of borat here.

Haven;t seen it, will probably wait until it's out on DVD. Isn't the point that he's taking the piss out of Americans by levering open their prejudices and revealing that most are too dumb and culturally isolated to understand who Borat really is. K-punk is waaay off the mark.

luka

get it on pirate dvd. its been out for ages! i saw it at the cinema though.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Haven't seen the film, maybe it's more subtle, but I never found the Borat sketches on the Ali G show funny. Always seemed like fairly cheap, and racist.

swears

preppy-kei
People tend to be too literal-minded about "offensive" humour. The joke is on the Americans.

luka

which 'race' do you think borat is offending? there was pretty much every racial group laughing in the cinema. its not cheap, its incredily brave and close to the bone. hes prepared to push it further than any comedian i;ve seen since bill hicks. he on another level in comedy, makes everyone else seem lilylivered.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
People tend to be too literal-minded about "offensive" humour. The joke is on the Americans.

I get pretty irritated by the casual anti-Americanism in the UK - usually it's based on ignorance itself. Sure, a lot of Americans are so stupid it beggars belief, but this is a fact that is equally true of Brits. The patronising attitude so many British people have is pathetic, given how much American culture we've all absorbed.

Having said that, can't fucking wait to see the film. Baron Cohen is winding back the years - it's 1999 all over again. Gotta respect his sheer willingness to up the ante when he gets criticism, by making even more 'wrong' jokes.

swears

preppy-kei
I get pretty irritated by the casual anti-Americanism in the UK - usually it's based on ignorance itself. Sure, a lot of Americans are so stupid it beggars belief, but this is a fact that is equally true of Brits. The patronising attitude so many British people have is pathetic, given how much American culture we've all absorbed.

I know, I know, I'm sick of that whole Jeremy Clackson-style "Aren't Americans crazy/fat/stupid, etc" schtick you get over here. I was making the point that in this instance I don't think he's making fun of Eastern Europeans as gormless bumpkins.
His fictional nationality is just a device to gain people's trust.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
which 'race' do you think borat is offending? there was pretty much every racial group laughing in the cinema. its not cheap, its incredily brave and close to the bone. hes prepared to push it further than any comedian i;ve seen since bill hicks. he on another level in comedy, makes everyone else seem lilylivered.

Pur-lease, not the old Bill Hicks thing again. The single most overrated comedian in history. Love his attitude, find him an interesting guy, but HE'S NOT FUNNY. Would be great as a preacher, but as a comedian, no.

Have you ever seen Stewart Lee? If you think Bill Hicks is on another level, then just wait to see Mr Lee in action. The only comedian I've ever seen who I'd have to call a genius.

But I agree with you about Baron-Cohen. What he said about Madonna las tnight:

"I have come here with Bilak, my 11 year old son, his wife and their child, and we are hoping maybe to put some chocolate make-up on the child's face and sell him to Madonna. I am hoping that Madonna will be a very good father for it."

Excellent - that stupid wanker deserves every bit of criticism she gets.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I know, I know, I'm sick of that whole Jeremy Clackson-style "Aren't Americans crazy/fat/stupid, etc" schtick you get over here. I was making the point that in this instance I don't think he's making fun of Eastern Europeans as gormless bumpkins.
His fictional nationality is just a device to gain people's trust.

Fair enough - wasn't criticising you, just the wider attitude.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
stewart lee is a fucking embaressment. hes a sixth-former. he has no talent as a writer and far les as a comedian. dont ever talk in public again. you bring shame on your family.

Um, I don't think you can tell me what to do, darling. ;) Don't talk about my family either.

Stewart Lee an embarrassment? Well, you're welcome to your opinions, of course. But no talent? I'm assuming your mind is still addled from when you threw your toys out of the pram just now. I can recognise talent even in those I don't like - Hicks had talent, but I don't think it was stand-up comedy. Fair enough, you disagree. Difference seems to be that I can handle people disagreeing with me, and you can't.

"i watched this last night. its maybe the best film ever made. mark k punk says you're not allowed to like it because its made by an incredibly bright cambridge graduate so to like it is to be class traitor or something so thats another reason to love it."

This is what you said upthread (which I agreed with). The sixth-former comment seems to be exactly the type of thing you're arguing against above.

What is your problem, anyway?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i really hate being patronised. it really pushes my buttons. im over it now though.

Fair enough. Seems to me you patronise other people tho (some of your answers upthread). Is that OK then?

I hate being verbally abused by people over nothing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
baboon. this is actually finished. i dont want an argument. i was expressing displeasure. i dont argue with people. its not my idea of fun.

Me neither. It's forgotten. Anyways, I think we'll both agree that this film is excellent once I've seen it. :)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it embaresses me but thats the way i am. it was just the phrase 'pur-leaze' that made my blood boil. i cant convey to you just how much i loathe it. anyway, im sorry. a bit uncalled for.

Sorry, really wasn't trying to press any buttons.

luka

i didn't say any of those things baboon has attributed to me. i like him,we're mates. and i haven't deleted any messages either, thats an optical illusion. lets get back to Borat.

Immryr

i cant wait to see this film! i dont understand whoever it was that said they didnt find the borat sketches on the ali g show to be funny, i thought they pretty much always outshone both ali g and bruno.

adruu

This Is It
i think i will check this out today. theres not much else to do, and The Prestige sounds boring, apart from Bowie as Tesla...