Scritti Politti - early CD

Tim H

Hello. First post. Be gentle with me.

Rough Trade have snuck out a lovely CD of the first three scratchy Scritti singles, plus Sweetest Girl.

1. skank bloc bologna
2. is and ought the western world
3. 28/8/78
4. scritlocks door
5. opec-immac
6. messthetics
7. hegemony
8. bibbly-o-tek
9. doubt beat
10. confidence
11. p.a.s.
12. the "sweetest girl"
13. lions after slumber

Lovely!

Tim

I'll be very excited to pick this up! Hows the sound quality? Any ideas why they didn't include the other peel session?

francesco

Minerva Estassi
there actually are two version of "sweetest girl" issued, the official one and one who came in a NME cassette compilation which is even better (millions of thanks to the Blissblogger for this!!!) - do somebody know which one make on the compilation?

jenks

thread death
thanks Tim, have wanted this stuff for ages - now what's the chance of finding it in my local shop?
also i seem to remember that there is a penman link to green - anybody know any more?

Woebot

jenks said:
penman link to green - anybody know any more?
i think penman (and the early band he was in called Prag Vec) were part of the same commune/squat. Green was sort of the High Priest to their marathon Gramsci Amphetamine-fuelled seminars....

....blimey its Penman day today isnt it!!! Funnily enough I have a Prag Vec single and Ian isn't listed as one of the band members on it. Maybe its a later incarnation of the group or summat.

Reading that bit off http://stephenage.typepad.com/ linked off http://blissout.blogspot.com, the interview with Green where he talks about his love-affair with theory and it struck me forcibly that the whole theory/pop axis almost certainly is Penman and Greens joint innovation. Its an innovation that clearly has its own history, and its funny to see Penman cropping up at various points along its timeline Sinkers The Wire>The Blogs etc.

Reynolds obv slightly intertwined in this History. We all know hes his own man, but hes an arch Penmaniac too (rhymes with Armagnac)

Tim H

Sound quality's excellent, despite being mastered from vinyl.

The sleeve includes a copy of the German sleeve for "sweetest girl", so I guess it's that version. It sounds very similar to the C:81 version, although I haven't heard that in maybe 20 years!

Tim

ladyboygrimsby

WOEBOT said:
i think penman (and the early band he was in called Prag Vec) were part of the same commune/squat. Green was sort of the High Priest to their marathon Gramsci Amphetamine-fuelled seminars....

....blimey its Penman day today isnt it!!! Funnily enough I have a Prag Vec single and Ian isn't listed as one of the band members on it. Maybe its a later incarnation of the group or summat.

Reading that bit off http://stephenage.typepad.com/ linked off http://blissout.blogspot.com, the interview with Green where he talks about his love-affair with theory and it struck me forcibly that the whole theory/pop axis almost certainly is Penman and Greens joint innovation. Its an innovation that clearly has its own history, and its funny to see Penman cropping up at various points along its timeline Sinkers The Wire>The Blogs etc.

Reynolds obv slightly intertwined in this History. We all know hes his own man, but hes an arch Penmaniac too (rhymes with Armagnac)

Are you sure Penman was in Prag Vec? I remember seeing them and I don't recall him being part of that at all. Mind you, I remember them being a bit rubbish (though not so rubbish that I didn't buy one of their singles), so perhaps he was in them. I'm sure I'm in a minority here, but I thought he was a terrible writer.

I've got the C81 version and I didn't notice any significant differences between this and the Rough Trade issue. Could you point me in the directions of the differences? (BTW, I've also still got the Skank Bloc Bologna EP and that was pretty dire, really, and a forceful argument for keeping politics students well away from any musical instruments; I thought the later stuff was a lot better.)

Woebot

ladyboygrimsby said:
Are you sure Penman was in Prag Vec? I remember seeing them and I don't recall him being part of that at all. Mind you, I remember them being a bit rubbish (though not so rubbish that I didn't buy one of their singles), so perhaps he was in them.

maybe its one of those things that gets repeated until it passes as established wisdom. like i say he isnt listed on the 7 inch i have.....

ladyboygrimsby said:
I'm sure I'm in a minority here, but I thought he was a terrible writer.

lol :D

ladyboygrimsby said:
I've got the C81 version and I didn't notice any significant differences between this and the Rough Trade issue. Could you point me in the directions of the differences? (BTW, I've also still got the Skank Bloc Bologna EP and that was pretty dire, really, and a forceful argument for keeping politics students well away from any musical instruments; I thought the later stuff was a lot better.)

Aah too cruel sir! Skank Bloc Bologna is fantastic! The way that corruscated guitar line keeps spilling forward leading the bass and drums down those angulated corridors.

ladyboygrimsby

WOEBOT said:
maybe its one of those things that gets repeated until it passes as established wisdom. like i say he isnt listed on the 7 inch i have.....

lol :D

Aah too cruel sir! Skank Bloc Bologna is fantastic! The way that corruscated guitar line keeps spilling forward leading the bass and drums down those angulated corridors.

I think I prefer my angulated corridors to remain free of corruscated guitar. :D