NY Noise 3

polystyle

Hmmm , noone's brought this one up yet.
Ok, I will then !
Not many have picked it up ? not digging ?

This one has some rare stuff , unknown's and hits some cool grooves as it rolls on through
tracks that have got to have something for just about everyone /anyone ...
Cheers and hope Dissensians are enjoying

N

nomadologist

I brought it up in the Ike Yard thread a couple weeks ago! It's great, amazing, and I haven't turned it off since I bought it. Really really an inspiration for me in my personal endeavors, a lot of it.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=yard

So tell us more. I'm assuming you're acquainted with a lot of the artists--just who are/is this Implog? So leftfield, so good!

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
i've stoically put off downloading both this and the ike yard disc to preserve the mystery of life and in anticipation of doing a proper order, which could happen anytime from next week to next month depending on availability of funds.

i'll chime in with my thoughts when i hear them, polystyle (don't expect anything fancy though!).

polystyle

Gotcha Nomad and hear ya Bruno , pick 'em up when you can man ... !

IMPLOG is /was Donny Christensen's project .
Donny being drummer for The Contortions and founder of The Raybeats,
The IMPLOG "Holland Tunnel Dive" 12" was a quite rare in it's day , and like many of the cuts on the collection, never really had much of an audience .
Talk about 'Hoover bass' , well, at least it does sound like a Hoover vac bring used for the solo (twice).
Also happy to have Sea Creatures on there too .
Donny's a good guy, always nice and civil .

One of the main enjoyments i have gotten out of doing Noise 3 is just listening to it,
some unusual grooves and flashbacks going on there.

And yes, did have to contact the artists involved ,
some were old friends who we have performed with bk in that day (like UT, Rev),
only one (Boris P) was never found , hope he kicking it out there somewhere ...

polystyle

Boris

No, As far as I know , there is no Boris Policeband Album.
Only the 1979 7" Stereo/Mono from which the 2 cuts are taken ...

martin

----
No, As far as I know , there is no Boris Policeband Album.
Only the 1979 7" Stereo/Mono from which the 2 cuts are taken ...

Cheers for that

Wasn't aware you'd stuck it together, well nice job there - has that great monged-out / dark disco at 4am vibe throughout, and esp like the skewed guitar on the UT tracks....also interesting to discover Snatch did more than just 'IRT'.

N

nomadologist

It's so hard to picture the band that wrote "Nudes in the Forest" anywhere within the same 10 mile radius of Kid Creole and the Coconuts.

Also because I'm stupid I was surprised to hear (both on the Ike Yard re-ish and NYN3) that there were Americans listening to D.A.F. at the time. They were quite a big influence, no?

P.S. I was guessing that was a powersaw on "HTD", but I like it being a hoover better.

Last edited:

polystyle

Noise players

Thanks people , i was reading other reviews out there ,
then wanted to compare them to what Dissensians were thinking ...

But yeah, put it together (out of all the stuff out there ),
brought in artists Longo to contribute a couple drawings ,
coordinated the liner's (Judy's are so fine , possibly prefiguring a whole BOOK)
and tried to keep all the interconnections , back story artist -label dealings straight (almost made that ) .

Re: Ut's guitars . Yeah, esp. the end of "Tell It" ,
the cut pauses then takes a turn into guitar noise in a cool way there ...
That cut captures Nina Canal in action quite nicely .

Re: SNATCH . Yea, if people know anything by them ,
it's often the classic "RAF" b - side of Eno's "King's Lead Hat".
In addition , SNATCH had a couple releases , on Cherry Red and ROIR , I believe .
Love the Eno photo of Judy ! 'Back In Judy's Jungle' ...

Re: DAF . I had spent spring -summer into fall 1983 in W Berlin ,
staying with Chrislo Haas (early DAF, Liasions D) and Sus from MALARIA!,
so some German American friendships were definitely happening ...
We had been following what Conny Plank had been doing and when DAF blossomed ,
it was really something that impacted the common current.
Also our guitarist had some sound in common with the early DAF g -man.

Not sure exactly WHAT the powertool is on Holland Tunnel Dive , never asked Donny -
but i should ... !

I hear you Nomado about Dark Day and Kid Creole ,
that was perhaps the difference between those really living downtown in an art mode
and those in er, show business.
One sees both Kid C and DNA post -Robin Crutchfield in ol' "Downtown '81",
the DNA seen there had bassist Tim Wright with the group by then.
The tribes ran close then, but yeah, some never really 'mixed' so very much !
Always thought Kid was 'entertainer' first and foremost , fine for some
but truly wanky and the women in the group kind of , er ...

Noise 4 ? !
Hmmm , hard to say .
I did propose it some months bk , before the release as I do have a short list of other cuts, but honestly since then dealing with one of the label guys has been a drag and at the moment puts a real damper on it - because he is one I /we would have to go bk to for #4.
Hopefully , the BS part will pass tho ' ...
Now's my chance to enjoy the response to #3 , so i am going to be content with it for a little while .

I know Soul Jazz does have a Paula Court ( NYC photog who was always shooting everyone and whose work is featured in #4) photo book coming up and maybe more ...
Cheers all

N

nomadologist

To have basked in Conny Plank's light (may he RIP) would have made me the happiest girl in the world. Must have been able to feel it in the air, there and then. So many people are moving to Berlin again now. Delia and Gavin did, Liars did last I heard of them when I was doing PR. Doubt it's quite the same energy, though.

Was Ike Yard more well-received over there? Get more press, I mean?

polystyle

Yea, much respect to Conny !
Berlin was different then , the Wall had outsized impact , lots of great music makers huddled in Kreutzberg there .
I only went bk last year , some people are gone but it was great to be there again.
Actually , i hear some of those who did move to Berlin are on their way bk to NYC and where ever's 'next'.
We met Gavin a few weeks ago in France and he seemed to be hinting the same ...

Re: Ike . The rerelease got many reviews there , over here and did well in Japan too.
Haven't heard if Europe was esp. strong , but am curious too.

STN

sou'wester
Didn't Snatch have an LP out, called simply 'Snatch'? I've tried looking for it on the internet, with rather predictable results...

polystyle

They had at least a couple releases over the years ,
possibly one had their singles compiled onto an Album.
Judy Nylon had her Album "Pal Judy" , produced with Adrian Sherwood .

From what I have heard, SNATCH was quite influential on those around them at the time

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Haven't picked this up yet but I love that Martin Rev track. Such a unique sound, so viscous. Also checked out the Implog a while back when Woebot was talking it up. Look forward to hearing the rest.

polystyle

electro / proto technoid

In ref. to the 'US continuum' thread , I would like to invite everyone to check out this Collection.
It includes some end of No wave music but we choose the IMPLOG , Dark Day , Boris Policeband , Marty Rev, Ike Yard & Dominatrix cuts as a certain electro - proto techoid primer of what else was bubbling in town those days and nights.
While most know of Suicide and have prolly heard at least one cut ,
Marty's instrumental pieces are well worth hearing
(and possibly placing into larger context/continuum).
Some of the others though are barely known , or almost totally unknown by listeners, Dissensians , ILM'ers or say, even The Wire (but certainly out there /avant/obscure enough fer them) .
Ike ( yep, our crew) in 1981 & '82 operated in our own methods, our own set and lit ref's
but also concurrent musically to what was going on in Germany at the time.
Because before a certain time, those machines (606, 808 , EMS Synthi , Oberhiem & Roland synth gear) were simply not available.
Those hardware makers could prolly provide the exact dates of their release and pin some electro /technoid start points quite exactly ...
Looking back I could call it electro or 'techno' , esp. as in J Atkins description used in the continuum thread.
Would say those using all electronic instruments were , well techno.
So I suggest the old cliche of 'Detroit made techno' is quite narrow , if not flat out wrong, something the 'continuum thread quotes from the main guys like Atkins & Mills seem to back up.

We see again and again the sequence where a new music (or style or ...) throws up examples , some get picked up and become most popular /mooted/noted and becomes THE template , THE example (rightly or wrongly).
Problem there is , alot of the casting about /more free / unmoored, wierder stuff may not get the same exposure as what became chosen as 'the ones' /the templates and some interesting avenues , course , flavors never get pursued or simply never known , esp, by people coming later to the world.
Unfortunately not all the great stuff makes it down the funnel !
Cheers all

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Based on your description of NY noise no 3 polystyle - I am going to go out and buy it.
I already have 1 and 2 so might as well get no 3 -right? :)

You have also made an interesting observation concerning the dates of certain electronic intruments becoming available and the origins different styles of music.

I would love to see further research along those lines. i.e... mapping the arrival of ceratin electronic intruments and the subsequent rise of new styles of music.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
can't speak for the 83 berlin vibe but berlin has just passed through an exciting 2-3 yr period and seems to be re-trenching for something else, quieting a bit. I left, I'm back home in NYC now.