music sounds better with effects, imo

bruno

est malade
bought the spanish mars reissue to replace my completely decaying atavistic 78+ cd, only to find there is no reverb :confused: i should have known as the no new york tracks were raw, but then i had that on a very bad quality cassette.

anyway, i liked the reverb or whatever effect they subjected the tracks to in the 78+ disc, they sounded deeper, more tunnel-ly.. shame, really.

tate

Brown Sugar
bought the spanish mars reissue to replace my completely decaying atavistic 78+ cd, only to find there is no reverb :confused: i should have known as the no new york tracks were raw, but then i had that on a very bad quality cassette.

anyway, i liked the reverb or whatever effect they subjected the tracks to in the 78+ disc, they sounded deeper, more tunnel-ly.. shame, really.
Mars 78+, what a record. I've not heard the g3g/Spooky Sound comp. I understand that certain tracks from the original EP appear on the g3g comp in their original form, not in the live versions that Thirwell helped remaster for the Atavistic release? Do you know which tracks were replaced? I am trying to imagine whether "Monopoly" would sound more frigtheningly beautiful with or without reverb . . . what a beautiful sound, what a beautiful noise, this band. Puerto Rican Ghost, Helen Forsdale - stone cold classics.

and speaking of spooky, ghostly effects

The Shins get 'ghostly' on new album
06 November 2006

NEW YORK: Sleepless nights and heartbreak inspired the "ghostly" sound on the much-anticipated third album from alternative rock group The Shins set to be released in January, the band's lead singer said.

The catchy upbeat rifts and country twang of Chutes Too Narrow, the second album from the four-man group originally formed in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are replaced by electronic drumbeats and looping synthesizers on the third effort, entitled Wincing the Night Away.

"We wanted a spooky, ghostly sound on this record," said James Mercer, lead vocalist and guitarist for the The Shins, which played a sold-out show in New York on Thursday as part of the CMJ Music Marathon, an annual gathering of up-and-coming music artists...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3851219a1860,00.html

I don't know why that would be of interest to the average NZer. Maybe somone wants them to be the next big hauntingly superficial pop group. I wonder if there is a plug in for ghostly effects. Set your electronic drumbeat to 138bpm, add looping synthesizer and smother in ghostly effect 101.

bruno

est malade
Mars 78+, what a record. I've not heard the g3g/Spooky Sound comp. I understand that certain tracks from the original EP appear on the g3g comp in their original form, not in the live versions that Thirwell helped remaster for the Atavistic release? Do you know which tracks were replaced? I am trying to imagine whether "Monopoly" would sound more frigtheningly beautiful with or without reverb . . . what a beautiful sound, what a beautiful noise, this band. Puerto Rican Ghost, Helen Forsdale - stone cold classics.
this disc is the rebel 7'', the no new york tracks and the lust/unlust ep, in that order. you don't get fractions and the assorted madness that you get on the disques du soleil et de l'acier live disc.

it's just completely different to 78+. scorn for example is unrecognisable but it's the same track. the empty space track on the 78+ disc is outside africa from the live disc, her you have the original (and it's ace). the 78+ version of monopoly is virtually identical to the original, thirlwell seemed to have left it alone.

it sounds fantastic! but just as with the more lush remixed version of the first suicide lp i heard the 78+ mars first, and prefer it mood-wise. but who knows, i might end up listening to this more.