no music day

Rambler

Awanturnik
Any sort of groupthink day like this is pretty dumb, but I appreciate the sentiments of this one. Just the way people's blood pressures go through the roof at the suggestion of going a day without music (see the statements page) indicates it's probably a good idea to cut loose from the aural umbilical once in a while.

Destroy all your records and then you'll have to make your own music, or some such Cageian sentiment.

Leo

Drummond's known for taking the piss, isn't he (remember the justified ancients of mu mu and burning a millions pounds or something?)

N

nomadologist

more sanctimonious than even me posting five million times a day about racism-baiting

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Unless I stayed home all day in my room with earplugs in, I don't think this even would be possible for me. How can you avoid music?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Unless I stayed home all day in my room with earplugs in, I don't think this even would be possible for me. How can you avoid music?

I think that's partly the point. Omnipresent media saturation.

If I ever work somewhere again where they insist on playing daytime radio I will sue for mental cruelty.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Funny thing..... Im very familiar with this Bill Drummond guy, but I cant say Ive ever heard of this St Cecilia character.......

N

nomadologist

wow, never been censored before. i feel so important.

oops i'm getting threads mixed up. so much nick southall on here.

Last edited:

blunt

shot by both sides
Here's Nick Southall's Stylus column about this, in case you haven't read it.

"Bill Drummond’s not alone in his grumpy musical fug. A little while ago Jarvis Cocker edited Observer Music Monthly. Part of the result was Drummond’s column, and another was this roundtable discussion about 'what music is.' The conversation is essentially a load of old farts moaning about why they’re not big cheeses in the music industry anymore (it’s because they’re old) and complaining about Busted as if they were any worse than The Osmonds or Take That or The Beatles pre-1965. Paul Morley particularly bemoans overconsumption, iPods, and the ease of digital music."

I read this too, and drew a similar conclusion (altho, interestingly, some of the complaints are pretty similar to a lot of the sentiments that fly back and forth on Dissnesus, too).

That said, I think it's possible that Drummond is both reactionary old fart and making a reasonably decent point with No Music Day. Not everyone will get it, and yes, it will be a nigh-on logistical impossibility to avoid music (in any given metropolis, at least).

But I think it's a lovely idea, and I'm gonna give it a go.

N

nomadologist

I think it would be more fun to refuse to buy music for a year as a gesture toward the same conceptual purpose.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I signed up after reading the Guardian article:

I am observing No Music Day because: I did a similar thing about a year ago.

It's arduous abstaining from listening to music for a day, but doing so makes one realize that music is equally as addictive as more harmful vices.
19/10/06
...which I still think is true. The "similar thing" I was refering to was actually one of the most intense musical moments of last year for me, so I've experienced the power of abstention. I decided to have a no music day to examine if it would improve my studying skills (it didn't, classical muzak works better than "silence"). Scarily, it was EXACTLY like trying to give up smoking, I felt like a doddering crack-addict at the end of the day; but THEN, the next day I was allowed to listen to music again, and boy was it a marvelous experience. I can wholeheartedly relate to Drummond's "Pet Sounds" story (in my case a "Pass the Dutchie" story).

Lodger

Not the indie band
I seem to remember Luke Haines calling a National Pop Strike a couple of years ago. I don't know how successful that was.