New Quay Brothers

polystyle

"The Piano Tuner Of Earthquakes" , the new one by The Brothers Quay opens here on Friday
and sounds pretty good...
'the labyrinth of a mad doctor ... in sepia tones'

Flashedback to late '80's/early '90's Keith Griffith , their rep was in NYC hooking them up and
they were on everyone's short list for cool , odd and bit wierdy short movies.
Aaah, a simpler time ...

Will have to ck it !
8.1 earthquake off N Japan coast this AM , all part of the pre -release promo no doubt

jed_

i loved "institute Benjamenta". i had to leave half an hour into TPToE, it's one of the worst films i have ever seen.

eleventhvolume

Go for Collected Short Films instead

Earthquake Tuner was deeply disappointing. I didn't leave early though, as was watching on DVD. Only two films that have appalled to that extent were Powaqatsi (sp?) and Ulysses Gaze. I likewise loved Instituta Benjamenta which I would be very happy to own on DVD, but it's OOP and hard to find at any reasonable price. Recommendation: find solace in the gorgeous double DVD of collected Brothers Quay short films recently issued by the BFI.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Could any of you guys elaborate a bit on what's so wrong with it? How does it differ from their previous stuff? I liked Benjamenta, but still don't think it's quite as good as the shorts, the Quay magic doesn't translate all that well to longer works I guess. The same with Svankmajer too, to some degree.