Scuzz horror soundtracks

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Informed by a recent listening to (a tape of a VCR) the soundtrack of The Bogie Man, I’ve been noticing that quite a few cheapo horror films have an electronic noise/synth soundtrack (im talking $2 synths here not John Carpener)- I suppose the model for this is the Texas Chainsaw Massacre soundtrack (Tobe Hooper did it I think-dunno if it’s ever been issued )
What other films should I look out for with this Merzbow on a shoestring vibe?

low band

some of Lucio Fulci's horror movies are worth checking out, the keyboard sounds in Zombie Flesh Eaters being particularly memorable.

Octopus?

I really enjoy the score for Jorg Buttgereit's "Nekromantik"...the very definition of scuzzy shoestring horror music. Great stuff! There was a reissue that came out that also featured the music for "Der Todesking" which is also worth checking out (both are by Hermann Koop, I believe).

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Among all the other things that movie has going for it, i LOVE the soundtrack. Yeah, theres cheesey 80s ballads and other songs in it, but the creepy, circus-like synths are great!

Octopus?

Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

Among all the other things that movie has going for it, i LOVE the soundtrack. Yeah, theres cheesey 80s ballads and other songs in it, but the creepy, circus-like synths are great!

...and you can't beat the Dickies!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dario Argento, particularly Suspiria. Goblin did some awesome stuff for his soundtracks.

So glad someone else recognises the genius of the TCM soundtrack :) . When I saw it first, I thought it ws about 30 years ahead of its time - sounded like Stars of the Lid stuff to me - at least the music in the first scene did.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Watched Argento's TENEBRE the other night and there was some cool stuff on that s/t..

Also check out THE PYJAMA GIRL CASE (or the trailer) there's a few minutes of some very sexy primo-70s Italo-electro in the Moroder mould.

Also check out the soundtracks to LIQUID SKY and the recent French shocker SOMBRE, which Alan Vega did.

bruno

est malade
I really enjoy the score for Jorg Buttgereit's "Nekromantik"...the very definition of scuzzy shoestring horror music. Great stuff! There was a reissue that came out that also featured the music for "Der Todesking" which is also worth checking out (both are by Hermann Koop, I believe).
the hermann kopp pieces are great.

labrat, there is a scene in christiane f droguée.. in the disco, a room where she sits down and there is a screening, i don't know what film it is but the soundtrack was kind of fucked up.

and as mentioned above fabio frizzi, and the soundtrack to démoni is claudio simonetti or goblin, very stripped down and electroish.

mainstream: videodrome, very atmospheric and strange.

i can't remember anything else at the moment.

Last edited: