more public school rub a dub dancehall bizness - inna jungle!

john eden

male pale and stale
http://video.itv.com/default.aspx?p...d=12&action=ViewGallery&VideoID=117&PageNum=1

Jungle star Lauren Booth gets the Greensleeves' vote!

Jungle star Lauren Booth is a dancehall queen! On last night’s smash hit TV show, ‘I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!’, Tony Blair’s sister-in-law suddenly proved her roots credentials with an extraordinary and spontaneous medley of Jamaican dancehall classics – ‘Wa-Do-Dem’ by Eek-a-Mouse, Yellowman’s ‘Zungguzunggugguzungguzeng’ and ‘Here I Come’ by Barrington Levy.

All these tunes are on Greensleeves Records, the label that next year celebrates its 30th anniversary at the cutting edge of Jamaican music. Says Clive Dickenson, Greensleeves’ General Manager: “We were staggered to realise that Lauren has such a deep love of dancehall and maybe when she’s out of the jungle Lauren would like to suggest some tunes she’d like as part of our celebrations. In the meantime, she gets our vote to be the jungle queen, too.”

John Harris is obv more in touch with the zeitgeist than we thought! :eek:

swears

preppy-kei
I've only ever met a handful of people that admitted going to public school...the last guy I met was into Sonic Youth and Mogwai, noisy alt-rock kinda stuff.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think I met her once when I did some work experience at the new Statesman magazine. Hmm. Very cool and unexpected, anyway.

nomos

Administrator
^^ Really? That's odd. I got to watch it. I don't know who these people are but it's a hell of a lot nicer than Survivor USA's 'May the Best Race Win' or whatever the hell it's called. Have you seen this? It's vile.

Can I ask about how the school system in Britain works? In Canada we generally have government-funded 'public' school, which everyone goes to. And then 'private' school which a few rich kids go to. Most places also have a Catholic school board as well, which caters largely to the Francophone community and Italian, Portuguese, etc. kids depending on the city. That's about it apart from the odd Islamic or Montessori school.

So I'm missing the gist in these discussions about 'public school kids' in Britain.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, UK's use of "public school" is (as good as) the same as "private school" for other English speaking countries, but I think refers to a subset of schools run without government funding..?

The flipside of a public school in the UK is a state school, if that helps at all.

I always found the phrase damn strange, but I'm guessing the rationale was a school that is paid for by members of the public, not the state.

Do a search on "public school" and you may find a thread where people were talking about who'd been to one... was quite interesting, if confusing... sounded like there at least used to be a third option in the UK.

Nick, it's on YouTube now:
I could watch the vid from Japan. Felt a bit queasy when she was singing 'Ring The Alarm' at the camera, seemed almost like a mockumentary taking the piss out of an uncool person thinking they were hot shit when she talked about being "in the zone"...

Last edited: