Ramones Movie

Gerard

Went to see Ramones biopic at Camden Odeon. Elegaic sections were mercifully short and overall it was an interesting portrait of four very different personalities attempting to run a very peculiar business.

These personalities best undesrtood by drawing thumbnails of them in mid/late career:

Tommy: Plump, ponytailed studio boffin

Dee Dee: Malevolent smack elf

Joey: Peacable, gawky liberal New York jew

Johnny: Hard-nosed martial money-man, staunch Republican (since age 10), jaw-droppingly humourless

The only up-beat note in a grindingly predictable, hardworking twenty odd years ('79-demise) was huge popularity in Brazil. Spector interlude gratifyingly wierd.

Seen it? Thoughts?

Gerard

Absolutely a business, corporate identity and all.

Yikes! Looking at their logo in the context of Johnny's hardline republicanism is scary.

Arturo Vega was their Art Director. Wonder what else he did.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I love the way the Pistols came over to the US and completely screwed it for them. In the aftermath no-one wanted to touch punk in case they puked on the mixer desk.........It does show the early Clash in a different light, as a Ramanoes rip off! Seeing the Dolls b4 makes you realise what the Ramones did , kinda focus the rock sound in a tight'n'speedy direction, at the time, very ground breaking.

pipikakahoofd

not being a particularly huge ramones fan, i was dragged along to it.
the thing i remember most about it was what an asshole johnny came across as... almost to the point where you wondered how they stuck together all those years. given the junkie/hard-ass republican/obsessive-compulsive liberal axis.
the hip-hop stylings of dee-dee were great too, one of the few breaks in the tedium of late period stuff.

Gerard

Guess they stuck together for the filthy $. Some of the shocking specimens I've worked with over the years make Johnny look like an angel :confused:

Last edited: