Neptunes / N.E.R.D. recommendations

elgato

I just dont know
i always knew about the duttier bits, Superthug and Lapdance etc, but listening to Bugz In The Attic Fabriclive today their discofied, plasticky, soulful, vocodered remix of Daft Punk stuck out a mile, and i kind of 'got' that sound for the first time.

so can anyone tell me where to look to get more of this?

swears

preppy-kei
Have you got "In Search Of..."? The original "keyboard beats" version is far superior to the later one with the live instruments. The second album was cack though, too rawk.

gumdrops

get:
the clipse album lord willin'
kelis' albums (though they have gradually been doing less for her)
the album by kenna that chad produced which is like depeche mode/flock of seagulls type stuff
if you want to hear them before they developed 'the neptunes sound', find the (excellent) swv song use your heart

swears

preppy-kei
I only found out the other day that the guy going "S Double, Double U, V" on SWV's Right Here was Pharrell Williams. I can hear it now, though.

Mr H

get:
the clipse album lord willin'
kelis' albums (though they have gradually been doing less for her)
the album by kenna that chad produced which is like depeche mode/flock of seagulls type stuff
if you want to hear them before they developed 'the neptunes sound', find the (excellent) swv song use your heart

What was the Kenna album? Must have missed that one!

Some great one off singles for Toni Braxton, Usher, Fabulous, Ray-J, Nelly, Busta, Mystikal also although my favourite Neptunes production is probably 'Grimey' by Noreaga.

elgato

I just dont know
i'll check these out

but what im more specifically after is neptunes productions which are of that sort of light, soulful nature, rather than their harder, dirtier excursions...

hint

party record with a siren
but what im more specifically after is neptunes productions which are of that sort of light, soulful nature, rather than their harder, dirtier excursions...

Sleepy Brown - Margarita (ft. Big Boi and Pharrell)
Fam-Lay - Available (the lyrics aren't exactly light or soulful though)

The first two that spring to mind... I'll try and think of more

gumdrops

the kenna album is basically chads project that he produced for ethiopian-american singer kenna. its like new wave or british early 80s stuff but with neptunes-ish presets/programming. most people probably wouldnt recognise it as the neptunes if they heard it though.

i forgot earlier - the stuff the neps produced for justin timberlake and gwen stefani are ultra essential. like i love u is one of the most perfect songs theyve ever produced (and theres a pharrell demo of it out there on the net if you look for it!)

hint

There was that Surrounded By Idiots stuff too, with Timbaland and Magoo, which seemed a lot more synthy and lush than the more common Neptunes stuff.

elgato

I just dont know
There was that Surrounded By Idiots stuff too, with Timbaland and Magoo, which seemed a lot more synthy and lush than the more common Neptunes stuff.

sounds amazing! did they do an LP?

please tell me magoo isnt too prominent on it :eek:

hint

Last edited:

throughsilver

i'll check these out

OK, avoiding the harder stuff, I'd recommend the following:

Mary J Blige - 'Steal Away'
Vanessa Marquez - 'Good Girl'
Kelis - 'Digital World'
No Doubt - 'Hella Good'
Snoop Dogg - 'Signs'
N.O.R.E. - 'Consider This'
N.E.R.D. - 'Things Are Getting Better'
N.E.R.D. - 'Run To The Sun'
Jay Z - 'I Just Wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me)'
Pharrell - 'Frontin'
N*Sync - 'Girlfriend'*
Justin Timberlake - 'Rock Your Body'

*Seriously, it's not a bad song. It fits the criteria, anyway.

tox

Factory Girl
There's a really good Gilles Peterson interview with The Neptunes from around 2002... they go through their discography and pick out a few favourites. Musically interesting, and also pretty crazy... they keep breaking into song and Peterson doesn't seem to be able to contain them - very funny stuff and a classic edition of Worldwide.

It's up on Soulseek and in a Worldwide 2002 pack on themixingbowl.org. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't stick it up on yousendit, but could do in a week or so if anyone's desperate.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I can't believe nobody has mentioned their best production:

LL Cool J – Luv U Better (the video's a bit rubbish though)

Sadly, the great displeasure of hearing the original version of "Rock Star" yesterday confirms my suspicion that their schtick(s) age badly.

petergunn

plywood violin
looking at me- mase ...the first song that made me notice the Neptunes, only b/c i LOVED it and i thought mase was , litereally, retarded....