85-90

low band

I've been listening recently to Godflesh, and it got me thinking about guitar bands with drum machines. Big Black came to mind, and also a band from Newcastle called Drill, who were pretty intense live... anyway, on searching for any 'net info on the latter, i stumbled accross the following. It's a list of every band that played at Newcastle's Riverside between 1985 & 1990, a place that in some minds was the finest venue in the world...

transport youselves back in time to a run down, grimey 350 capacity, beer & tobacco stained, sweaty hole...

nostalgia

D

dubversion

Myself and a couple of mates - and I believe Eden of this parish - toyed with putting on an Arsequake night in Brixton. get some suitably abrasive band to play, and then spin pure Big Black / Godflesh / Killdozer / Tackhead / Buttholes wonderfullness all night.

Never quite came off..

low band

the thing that gets me about the venue link, is the diversity of it all, a place where you could see Swans, Happy Mondays & The Gun Club on consecutive nights, or The Wedding Present, Conflict and Courtney Pine all in the same week... with anywhere between 50 & 200 people.

it wern't ironic neetha.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
It's a list of every band that played at Newcastle's Riverside between 1985 & 1990, a place that in some minds was the finest venue in the world...
nostalgia

finest mid-size venue certainly.
the friday night 'disco' w/big niall was ace.
fugazi playing there is in legend.
went tits-up post-94, when shindig started to take over.
that whole part of newcastle (egypt cottage/barley mow etc) is long gone :(

tate

Brown Sugar
I've been listening recently to Godflesh, and it got me thinking about guitar bands with drum machines. Big Black came to mind, and also a band from Newcastle called Drill, who were pretty intense live... anyway, on searching for any 'net info on the latter, i stumbled accross the following. It's a list of every band that played at Newcastle's Riverside between 1985 & 1990, a place that in some minds was the finest venue in the world...

transport youselves back in time to a run down, grimey 350 capacity, beer & tobacco stained, sweaty hole...

nostalgia
I'd give anything to have a listing of every show at the Lounge Axe (Chicago), say '88-94. On the drum machine + guitar band tip, I recently acquired a copy of Bastro's debut, rode hard and put away wet, on Homestead, 1988. It owes its existence to Big Black, basically, but there are differences, especially in the drum programming. Have been enjoying the record, much more so than Squirrel Bait, though not as much (yet) as the next two Bastro albums.

echevarian

babylon sister
Anyone curious about a black metal update of the Big Black sound should check out Anaal Nathrakh's Codex Necro.

One word.

Intense.

D

dubversion

Yeh, last time i was up (my g/f is from Northumberland) we went to a gig at the Cluny (Dan Sartain, good stuff) and drove past the old Riverside. I used to love it there - did some music mag / PR work and made it up a few times on work assignments. Lots of atmosphere, astonishing levels of drunkenness...

low band

every time i hear Destroy The Heart by The House of Love, or I've Been Tired by the Pixies i think of Big Niall's Friday Night Disco :)

I was round that way a few years back and it's changed so much it's untrue. I ended up in the Sunn Inn, lol.