Gangsta Walking and aggressive communal dance

DavidD

can't be stopped
So I know there are many precedents for this sort of thing in punk and who knows what else; its an interesting, super-masculine aggressive communal thing, and apparently it's been around a long time even though it will probably come to be associated w/ crunk should it have some sort of return simply bcuz of the easy parallel...anyway there's a free mp3 of a david banner, 3-6 mafia and 8ball and mjg song as well as a v. brief history on the "gangsta walk" over at the shrimp

C

captain easychord

seems to me that any scene populated largely by dudes finds itself with a mosh pit at shows: dark d n' b, grime, gangsta rap, hardcore. metal....

AshRa

What about 'crump dancing'? I still can't decide whether this is real or some sort of Brass Eye spoof!

cooper

AshRa said:
What about 'crump dancing'? I still can't decide whether this is real or some sort of Brass Eye spoof!

friend of mine in CA tells me this is quite real, though perhaps a bit of a fad. although i'm sure they said that about c-walking... but c-walking doesn't look like an epileptic fit so it's maybe an easier sell.

nomos

Administrator
Re: ManyShrimp - "If you watch the Dirty States of America DVD they show footage of kids gangsta walking as far back as like 91."

Circa '91 people often talked about walking with a 'gangsta limp.' It wasn't dancing though (this was the era of the Brooklyn stomp), just a way of walking as if you had a bunch of lead in your right shoe. I remember my dad not being too impressed when I started to do it. He said it'd ruin my posture.

I've only ever heard of having a "gangsta lean" in the context of driving. Slouched down at an angle to provide a smaller target (or more likely to look like one is obviously trying to present a smaller target).

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
descending_sort said:
I've only ever heard of having a "gangsta lean" in the context of driving. Slouched down at an angle to provide a smaller target (or more likely to look like one is obviously trying to present a smaller target).

Aha! Thanks mate, makes sense. Interesting because its a hiphop phrase that has been used at different times between at least '84 and 2004...

puretokyo: It is pretty funny, along with "word is born"/"word is bond", I've had people very emphatically explain to both to me as being the expression and give big backstories and everything. I love how phonic muddly uncertainty has really pretty much made the expression "word is bon" and it doesn't mean much of anything beyond "word is bon."

Yay for the oral tradition! Fuck writing.

h-crimm

kruger_men.jpg

isnt this what moshing in male dominated music scenes is about? just an excuse to have physical contact which is relaxing or comforting without having to be mislabeled as a chi-chi batty-man bludclawt non-gyaliss?

Well for sure.
At speedcore parties around here it used to be even more overt. Instead of slamming into each other at high speed, everyone would bounce up and down, shoulder to shoulder, packed like sardines, for hours. You could cut the tweaky homoerotic tension with a knife. I think if you actually observed that out loud, though, you *would* have got beat down. Guys get anxious about that kind of thing.

h-crimm

i'm not really saying its homo-erotic... just that its considered homoerotic unless you can excuse the behaviour in some way, like that its gangsta, and gangstas cant be gay just look at the crays...

i dont think boys dance like that cos they secretly want to fuck each other but people do want to be able to touch each other because its natural. the image accusing people of having homoerotic rituals is, for me, really just a joke i like to imagine playing on iidiuts (how would u write it how riko says it??) who 'dont have a problem with it, as long as they dont make a show of it'.

so yeah i like dancing cos it can be a good excuse for people who are a bit caught up in thier social scripts (gender or whatever) to break that ... except 'bad' dancing which is scared-of-letting-it-go dancing is pretty upsetting to watch.

hmm dance dance revolution... only that games like a fake co-opting of dance as rules following.

(sorry i'm on control room shift at my particle accelerator... so my brains a bit fucked)

its both one after the other. let the boys be boys is the better line though. BcDaFucUp is pretty great - I wish I still had the case and booklet cos I'd like to know who the producers were.