Orphans: Tom Waits clears out his pockets

jenks

thread death
What do we make of Tom Waits?

I've just got hold of Orphans and i'm starting to think that between him and Newsom and bloggariddims i'm not going to need to listen to anything else between now and christmas!

I like the range of Waits - he can be incredibly sentimental and then suddenly come over all Harry Parch, soem of the spoken word stuff is particularly affecting.

I suppose what i like about him is that he really is forging ahead with his own 'vision' - i saw the Black Rider a couple of years ago and was struck by how the songs came across as part of a theatrical event.

(sorry, not so lucid but it's been a while..)

D

dubversion

I've been on a bit of a Waits bender of late - not only Orphans but also

56e37986-edf7-4664-b5a7-7dbd1a0e482c.jpg

which is a book of collected interviews / features and is essential reading. You get to see how his self-mythologising has mutated and shifted emphasis, and a glimpse into quite how incredible his mind is. He seems to speak like he writes - it seems a little random but it always comes together in the end.

Guybrush

Dittohead
The only one of his records that I've listened to in deep is Closing Time, but that I like alot. It's very subdued and yet not dull in the slightest.