A Guy Called Gerald reissues?

nomos

Administrator
I remember a year or two back (around when the Remarc comps came out) Woebot mentioned that reissues of Black Secret Technology and 28 Gun Badboy were forthcoming. I think Matt was supposed to be doing the sleeve notes. Gerald's site has had a pre-order option for ages now but I haven't seen any sign of this actually happening.

Does anyone know more about this?

bassnation

the abyss
I remember a year or two back (around when the Remarc comps came out) Woebot mentioned that reissues of Black Secret Technology and 28 Gun Badboy were forthcoming. I think Matt was supposed to be doing the sleeve notes. Gerald's site has had a pre-order option for ages now but I haven't seen any sign of this actually happening.

Does anyone know more about this?

i wonder which version will be re-released. i might be wrong, but i'm sure theres two versions of BST, one is remastered and sounds much better than the first. even then, the volume is very low - especially for a cd.

bst is one of my favourite albums of all time. in fact, so much so that when i got married we walked down the aisle to "finleys rainbow".

elgato

I just dont know
when i got married we walked down the aisle to "finleys rainbow".

thats so deep, such a happy image!

i think the re-release was going to be the remastered version (if not another remaster?)

ive been waiting on it because i wanted the crisper remaster, but now i wish i'd just bought it on ebay when i had the chance

he made jungle with soul, ive got some of the juice box 12s and theyre phenomenal. at times it doesnt even feel like jungle (in the sense that i generally know it), its like a parralel development of it, where the tribal and technoist elements were drawn out a great deal more

bassnation

the abyss
he made jungle with soul, ive got some of the juice box 12s and theyre phenomenal. at times it doesnt even feel like jungle (in the sense that i generally know it), its like a parralel development of it, where the tribal and technoist elements were drawn out a great deal more

this is the reason why his recent return to house didn't seem at all jarring - despite the obvious rhythmic differences its still got that warm, achingly sad feel. its something that people always attributed to goldies timeless ablum (out more or less the same time as bst). there was that interview where goldie talked about listening to his album on E, how it would tear your heart out. i always felt that was much more applicable to gerald.

what are peoples opinions of his new material?

Last edited:

Woebot

they keep talking about it (gerald's management)

i know they've the full slew of material, contributed three tracks myself!

it'll be great when it happens- but i've no idea when it'll be.

elgato

I just dont know
what are peoples opinions of his new material?

you mean the house material? i havent heard it yet, i want to get that new cd. his dnb return 12 was pretty fat in a soul-less way, it wasnt the beauty we're used to but it was good nonetheless

i saw him dj at glade and i suspect he was playing some of his new house material, quite up-to-date sounds...very good too

bassnation

the abyss
which mix was it? ;) only half joking.....

thats right, there are a few mixes of it round aren't there? including finleys complete reconstruction around the same lyrics on his own album.

the one we used was the remastered album version. as it doesn't take too long to walk down the aisle the song faded out before any potentially granny-baffling jungle rhythms had the chance to emerge!

nomos

Administrator
adequate granny baffling is a crucial part of any proper home studio. too many people cut corners these days.

sugoi

Finally... BST +

Finally...

The 95 release of Black Secret Technology (Remastered) is out in July on A Guy Called Gerald Records.
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=101407

Perlon's next release [PERL71] "IN YA HEAD" - A Guy Called Gerald Here
A Guy Called Gerald Live
on AUG 1 @ Get Perlonized
Panorama Bar Berlin (+ Baby Ford, Zip, Sammy Dee)

And for jungle heads
AUG 15 Drum & Bass Arena Gold @ The Scala London
A Band Called Gerald LIVE
(A Guy Called Gerald + Jungle Drummer + Diane Charlemagne + Stamina MC)

http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/gold

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
For me, BST was the only non-comp jungle lp that truly worked. Timeless had some really DODGY moments and i liked Reprazent but i don't know- i just couldn't love it. I was having a bad time when it came out- living with a bed in a room with nothing else (i had sold everything) and it was the one thing i kept along with my crappy cd walkman thing. God that thing just sends me :D

And hell yeah- sort out the Juice Box reissues. Mind you Gerald's career always was a bit... wayward but he seem's much more sorted now.

Also, that Proto-Acid thing- that was fucking awesome as well- really extraordinary- all his stuff just sounds like funky off-world clockwork.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
For me, BST was the only non-comp jungle lp that truly worked. Timeless had some really DODGY moments and i liked Reprazent but i don't know-

there are quite a few later dnb LPs that worked
but jungle LPs, hmmm

maybe these ones:

4 Hero - Parallel Universe
Flynn & Flora - Native Drums
Nookie - The Sound of Music

:)