Psychedelic Sounds of West Africa

sufi

lala
I got a copy of this album - i got the track listing but no other info
& my goodness its' a lovely one -
Orchestre Regionale du Kayes - that's a place in Mali..
& some other splendid tracks

anybod know where this compilation originated??? are there any more like this???

i'd love to see the sleeve
i checked goog but it have nothin.........#

thanking
soof
xxx

stelfox

Beast of Burden
that blog looks 'kin excellent. well found. i saw manu dibango on saturday and sunday night at the barbican as part of the black president thing that a couple of friends of mine were responsible for (ahem, yes, matthew!). he was great. v cool old dude. also have to say that baaba maal damn near took my head off. he has a truly amazing live voice; much more impressive than on record.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Downloaded the first track, and it's absolutely blazin'. I'm not sure where these tracks might originate from, although I know a man who I can ask. It sounds pretty similar to the sort of Senegalese and Malian stuff I spent much of last year digging.

There's a Senegalese band called Etoile 2000 who are fantastic afro-psychedelia from around 1981. Some of their work was reissued on the Dakar Sound. It's breathtaking stuff.

Generally I'd massively recommend the Music In My Head compilations (there are two). There's sound clips on line there, so check them out.

Digging around last year, I more or less picked up the entire pre-solo works of Youssou N'Dour with Etoile De Dakar. Truly one of the most incredible bands of all time.

B

be.jazz

Gotten through most of it, it's all awesome. I wonder, though, about the "psychedelic" tag: who's finding this music psychedelic? Track 7 is pretty traditional, for example, perfect stuff to dance to.

Clubberlang

"anybod know where this compilation originated??? are there any more like this???"

Isn't the World Psychedelic Classics thing Luaka-Bop? Os Mutantes was Volume One. The website doesn't list this, but it sounds like something they would put out.

redcrescent

sufi said:
are there any more like this???

You might want to look up...

Ouelele
Africafunk 1 + 2
Nigeria 70
Booniay - a compilation of West African funk
Club Africa 1 + 2
Ghana Soundz 1 + 2
Bilongo
Mandingo
Racubah
Afro Rock Vol. 1
The Danque - a compilation of West African funk
Afrojazzfunk 1 + 2

Those are just the ones I can name offhand. I'm sure there's plenty more.

B

be.jazz

Clubberlang said:
Isn't the World Psychedelic Classics thing Luaka-Bop? Os Mutantes was Volume One.
The Shuggie Otis "Inspiration Information" reissue was Volume 2.

kevdub

psychedelic sounds of west africa

i still have not been able to find that psychedelic sounds of west africa anywhere (except for the one guy who put it on his ftp - thanks!!, although i admit i'm looking for it on vinyl. sweeeet stuff.
i looked at luaka bop's site and it's not there either. but i followed the shuggie otis thread as well and it led nowhere. the music's hot, but it's not to be found on vinyl.
oh well. and sufi, you were right on with all of those afro funk comps. great records, for sure!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Diggedy Derek said:
There's a Senegalese band called Etoile 2000 who are fantastic afro-psychedelia from around 1981. Some of their work was reissued on the Dakar Sound. It's breathtaking stuff.

Generally I'd massively recommend the Music In My Head compilations (there are two). There's sound clips on line there, so check them out.

Digging around last year, I more or less picked up the entire pre-solo works of Youssou N'Dour with Etoile De Dakar. Truly one of the most incredible bands of all time.

Someone else who's got the 'Music In my Head' CDs! Thought I was the only one for a while there. Thione Seck's 'Laye M'Boup' pretty much blew my head off - quite apart from the divine backing, the drums are ruff on that track. I searched out some other stuff by him, but nothing hit the spot quite like that.

I second the love for Etoile de Dakar - amazing band.

"Psychedelic Sounds of West Africa " you talking about the peace, love & poetry comp? get it if you can. the new one focuses on brazillian psychedelic, also get this.

sufi

lala
this page has a good discography for OR de Kayes + links to other deep info.....

nothin much on the compilation tho...what is "peace, love & poetry comp", please, zyod??

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
zyod wheeler said:
"Psychedelic Sounds of West Africa " you talking about the peace, love & poetry comp? get it if you can. the new one focuses on brazillian psychedelic, also get this.
i thought it was that one too, but checking out the tracklisting fot the link sufi posted up, it seems like it's a different cd...(different artists/tracks on it)...
but yeah, the "peace,love,poetry"-comps are generally a cool showcase for obscure,weird stuff...(although as with all such compilations,they tend to be a mixed bag tho')...especially the "mexican psychedelic" one is great,my tip if you're only to buy one...