bebop

muser

can anyone recommend some really good bebop albums? I know a alot of artists that have done bebop but most of them have done lots of other stuff aswell so its difficult to find any gems.

tate

Brown Sugar
You may as well start where the genre did, i.e., with Charlie Parker. Any of the early recordings from the 1940s on Savoy or Dial. Numerous live recordings from the late 1940s and early 1950s, often performing with others (e.g., Dizzy). Also check the legendary Benedetti bootlegs on Mosaic. The library will helpful too, as there's been a lot written on the subject.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
apart from Parker:

be bop was mainly originally printed on 78", then there are some essential lp/cd comps:

monk : genius of moden music 1 & 2 (everyone should have a copy of those!!)
clifford brown - memorial album
bud powell - tha amazing 1 & 2
fats navarro - vol 1 & 2 (contain many Tadd Dameron 78")

all on Blue Note and available on cd.... enjoy!

muser

thanks !, really loving count bassie and horace silver at the moment, has anyone got some suggestions along this vein?

Last edited:

content

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers stuff is great. sonny rollins - tenor madness too. and monk is wonderful

STN

sou'wester
Yeah, I really like Roots and Herbs by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (is that bebop?) despite being kind of unable to get on with Wayne Shorter.

petergunn

plywood violin
i love jazz, but that shit is serious work... like you need to listen to it 3X a week for 6 months bfore you can tell the difference between Dexter Gordon and Sonny Rollins...