Recycling

Woebot

We just started doing this and I was shocked to find that four fifths of our rubbish is not bio-degradable. So much fucking packaging!

Rambler

Awanturnik
Yeah, but tin cans, plastic bottles and glass aren't bio-degradable but you can usually still recycle them... Still shocking that even with that the wife and I still manage to fill most of a black bin liner each week with plastic crud, mostly from food packaging (and junk mail wrapping :mad: ) ...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yeah, but tin cans, plastic bottles and glass aren't bio-degradable but you can usually still recycle them... Still shocking that even with that the wife and I still manage to fill most of a black bin liner each week with plastic crud, mostly from food packaging (and junk mail wrapping :mad: ) ...

us too. some guy who does green audits reckons he does a wheely bins worth of unrecylable waste A YEAR! i reckon we do about a wheely bin a month.

we should all do this:
http://environment.guardian.co.uk/waste/story/0,,1948065,00.html

bassnation

the abyss

isn't there some way of opting out of junk mail altogether? i think its atrocious that resources are being used for something practically no-one wants.

in terms of computers, apple are doing pretty good massively reducing the amount of packaging they use for their equipment. they still need to address the toxic waste thing that comes about when rotting computers and other electronic goods are dumped in the third world (amazingly, this happens) - but this is something common to all computer manufacturers, not just apple.

jenks

thread death
We do pretty well on the recycling front - but that has much to do with the fact that we are able to shop locally and thus not actually get involved in the monstrous amount of packaging that comes from supermarkets.

We are able to get all the shopping in a couple of reusable bags and have trained the shop keepers not to give us plastic bags.

As well as this we are able to compost whic greatly reduces the amount of waste that goes out in the bags on a Monday night.

However, there is a bar at the bottom of the road which has a bin tuck pick up its waste every day. Included in this are hundreds of bottles, which it makes no effort to recycle. It kind of makes a mockery of our little trips to the bottle bank when we hear that dreadful racket every morning!

Lichen

You can compost all veg and fruit waste, tea bags, coffee grounds, some packaging (esp. supermarket organic range packs), plain cardboard will compost too.

Nothing cooked though as it attracts vermin.

Where we live your rubbish is only collected once a fortnight and the wheelie bin only holds 3 bin bags, so if you don't recycle and compost your rubbish stays with you.

The council also provide waste food buckets. I think our slops go to the piggies.

jenks

thread death
Composting

I must admit that it is my wife who is really much greener than i am, we trail in her wake!

As far as composting goes, we bought a cheap flat pack thing that sits in the garden - we put all our waste food except for meat (attracts rats etc apparently). We have two bins in the kitchen and trek out to the back garden about once every couple of days. It takes a while to start rotting but it is pretty amazing to make your own fertiliser for the garden.

There is a lot of conflicting advice on composting - is it best to water the heap, should it be turned over regularly, should citrus skins go in? that kind of thing.

I've always fancied having a wormery composting kit where the worms create the compost much quicker and in a liquid form. Obviously our method is very low maintenance and means us four put out about half a bin bag a week, maximum.

Rambler

Awanturnik
yeah, compost is great (if you have at least a small garden to do it in, and to use it). No cooked stuff, and no meat. If you can do it in some sort of container - a wooden crate is ideal - it works quicker cos the heat stays in.

is it best to water the heap, should it be turned over regularly, should citrus skins go in

Yes (or give it a water permeable lid, eg old carpet or cardboard and let the rain do it for you), yes, and yes they can (you'll need to eat a hundred oranges a week to make your compost too acidic).

I need to look into that junk mail opt out. It pisses me off.

Computers and electrical goods you should think about freecycling rather than leaving them for the council - someone can always get use out of knackered machinery.

Last edited:

monkeysblood

born to cry
we just got a big plastic composting bin for free (i think) from the council recently. fucking righteous! being lucky enough to have a bit of a garden at my london abode, it would be mighty slack to not give it a go. if you sit it on a turned over bit of soil the worms and all that will make their way in i guess. i read ages ago that it's beneficial to piss on the heap to get it going (or in winter when it needs extra help).

we have those green boxes that we can put quite a lot of different recycleable material into and is collected, which i think is brilliant. i really should pull my finger out and start taking the suitable plastic waste down the road, where there are recycle bins outside the supermarket. i reckon they should tax plastic bags, like they do in ireland if i'm not mistaken. the amount of these used is mind boggling and infuriating.

and yeh, things like freecycle and gumtree are good for avoiding dumping things that could be used by someone else.