Oaxaca? Anyone?

ripley

So, fighting in the streets, the army and federal police sent in, sexually assaulting female protestors. Retaliation includings (at some points) sending the federal police into full flight and beating up one downed officer (of course that footage is played over and over again on national news, but no mention of the violence that led up to it).

Pitched battle in the university, with the teachers on strike. The Zapatistas lending support and solidarity..and Marcos suggested they are on the brink of civil war in Mexico..

anyone in Europe paying attention? There's not much in the US news..

November 20: Thousands of indigenous residents of Chiapas – civilian support bases of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN, in its Spanish initials) – have successfully blocked all major roads and highways in the state in defense of the people of neighboring Oaxaca state.

A state-owned TV station was taken over for 3 months (August to Nov) until the women who took it over were removed by federal police this month.

this is big stuff people!

many good recaps here: http://brownfemipower.com/?cat=33

also http://narconews.com also has good updates

and other things (including video footage and photos) from http://infoshop.org

francesco

Minerva Estassi
i live in oaxaca since this july. my and my girlfriend are of the very few strangers who have not run away. the situation is tragic, really, and since the principal economic activity of this state was tourism, people is on the verge of total poverty. me i'm not even seen a pesos for my teaching at the university since october, but i still continue the lessons because i feel for the students, who are really nice and motivated, and their situation. i have nothing to say about what it's happening here that you can't find, better written and detailed, on-line on various journals. on a personal side, i feel the situation is much more complex and dangeruos than a simple corrupted right vs. people as many italian and english newspaper report. let's not talk about mexican newspaper... i feel also that brutality, violence, killing, rape, are (sadly) sort of normal things here, just check a bit of mexican or latin america history... anyway Ruiz is an assassin and a criminal.
... tomorrow will be the day on which Calderon succeed to Fox, and Lopez Obrador, who loose the election thanks to the electoral fraud, as also proclaimed himself president of mexico. so seem like there would be two presidents.... a big fight a couple of days ago at the parliament and a really big manifestation tomorrow show that we are on the brink of a civil war
i will go to mexico city on the weekend and then the next return to italy for christmas vacation. then i really want too return here because i love this country but, since i have been not payed and i'm fucking poor (a avid books addiction doesn't help, let not talk about records please or i start crying...) (and not that i complain too much, because here poverty is not a so strange thing) i don't even know if i have money to buy the airplane ticket to return here.

Oh well, really glad someone raised the oaxaca question here.

hasta luego

Last edited:

ripley

Hey Francesco

thanks a million for posting. I really do want to know what's happening. Do you have a blog? is it safe to blog?

as far as better information online - are the links I posted any good for you, or do you recommend something better?

I just think it's really important, really big stuff.. and the US newspapers and TV and radio don't seem to be talking much about it at all.

Good luck to you and you girlfriend. I hope things go well for y'all

adruu

This Is It
ive tried hard to stay on top of the news, especially since it became obreador was not going to back away quietly.

i think the media in the continent just wants 1)the mexican developments to go away 2) is either preoccupied with talking around the real issues in iraq (murder) or 3)just wants to focus on castro's death