(the inevitable dumb) BEST OF '06 (thread)

francesco

Minerva Estassi
really this year have been musically speaking depressing, i have, when possible, really been with my mind elsewhere (no, i don't take drugs...), like on Studio One clash in the '60, or at the Hacienda in the '80, or listening to jazz at the Vanguard in the '50, or to classic and avantgarde disco tanks to the Gallery or the Paradise in the '70. I have been even on one of those dangerous, politically and anger and drug filled concerto of italian progressive in '72. If this look alike i'm loosing my edge, yes, this year i have mostly bought or listened to old music, thank also to the great reissue almost everything market around (sadly that 'almost everything seems for now exclude all that great english breakbeat and belgian hardcore, but wait another 5 years and maybe Soul Jazz will think about).

the only two '06 records that i bought so make my list for the best of '06! i have in mind a list for the best reissues and comps of '06 that is much more long, and like all of this best post probably really boring, except for me that i have always loved this kind of lists as a way to find what of interesting i didn't catch.

Scott Walker - the Drift
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
showing how old you are.... listening only to old farts, scott is about 60 years old and sonics are going to their third decade of music... and neither of this two records, as excellent as they are, brings any news on the sonic or conceptual palette... like, they could have been issued in 1986 or 2016 without sounding that much different!! like any great ac/dc record.

your fave?

Last edited:

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
Only real stand outs for me, off the top of my head:

Burial album
Convextion album
The Roots - Game Theory
Clipse - Hell Hath No fury

S

simon silverdollar

joanna newsom- 'ys'
hot chip 'the warning'
villalobos 'ach so'
burial
erase errata 'night life'
kompakt- 'total 7'
junior boys 'so this is good bye'
skepta 'dead'
chunky bizzle 'chunky beats'
wiley -tunnel visions
ruff sqwad 'guns n roses vol. 2'
mymy 'songs for the gentle'
ooioo 'taiga'
mobilee 'back to back'
luciano 'sci fi hi fi vol. 2'

been a steller year, i reckon. nothing massive going on, but lots of really great stuff on the fringes

Immryr

Current 93 - Black Ships Ate The Sky
Harvey Milk - Special Wishes
Scott Walker - The Drift
Burial - Burial (although it wasnt as mind bogglingly good as alot of people seem to suggest)
Last Days Of Humanity - Putrifaction In Progress
The Day Everything Became Nothing - Invention : Destruction
Kool Keith - The Commi$$oner
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

edit - the reason i havent included any grime mixtapes / albums is cause theyre all just too patchy. there isnt a single one of them ill listen to all the way through, but i havent got the new ruff sqwad yet so im hopeful that will be the first one.

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Burial LP
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Wiley's bars
Untold Mala dubs - but best thing on wax from DMZ though was probably Left Leg Out
Mala, Youngsta, N-Type DJ sets
Kromestar - Kalawanji

francesco

Minerva Estassi
i really have to check the 'Ys' album, a real fave of everyone

c93 and Scritti Politti too, being some of my favorite groups ever, but again, excellent but no new music

problem with dubstep for me is the same problem i always had with jungle, two step, grime, etc: i'm not in the best place nor i have the time and expecially the money to check 12"... any good overview around?

Last edited:

Immryr

im quite supprised Black Ships Ate The Sky has been so over looked on dissensus. have people heard it and not liked it, or just not heard it?? cause for my money its a much better record than something like Ys for example.

S

simon silverdollar

almost forgot...

theo parrish 'falling up' (carl craig remix'
claude vonstroke 'the whistler'
audion 'mouth to mouth'

you couldn't step into a club that knew what it was doing without hearing them, and rightly so...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
been a steller year, i reckon. nothing massive going on, but lots of really great stuff on the fringes
Yeah, totally. Everone's been bitchin and moanin about what a crap year for music it's been, but I've still been completely unable to keep up with all the stuff that's been coming out.

I might be back with a top ten when I've had a bit of a think or in about a month when the year's actually finished...

I'm hoping someone will release something within the next 4 weeks so the year won't have been a complete failure album wise...

...nothing for me has stood up and said "I am a classic of the future"

maybe 06 wil be known as the year the album became irrelevent...

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Singles/12"
Krumble 'Usual Terror' (PeaceOff)
Peter, BJorn and John 'Young Folks'
Tectonic & Hotflush 12"s particularly that loefah remix of search & destroy, most almighty dubstep tune even though it's probably a year old now.

what was good in pop , have i missed something?

blunt

shot by both sides

so, so right. everything's just fragmenting, and i'd say that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

Some random repeat plays that spring to mind:

Nathan Fake
The Knife
One Two
Hot Chip
The Trousersnake (the first 2/3s, before the obligatory ballads kick in)
Burial
Matmos (largely impenetrable, but Semen Song and Steam and Sequins both rock)
Joanna Newsom (especially Emily)
Booka Shade
International Pony
Gnarls Barkley (boring album, jaw dropping single)
Stefan Goldmann
Skamel by Kalabrese (off Superlongevity 4. Can listen to it anywhere, anytime, and do)
Villalobos, Zieheuer Fizheuer
Four Tet Remixes
Sci.Fi.Hi.Fi mixes
Droid + Slug's Schwantology mix
Radioclit podcasts (too few and far between)

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

just a thought- at the start of this year, i would have predicted that the (then) forthcoming Various Production album would have topped the collective dissensus end of year lists. yet, when we actually get to the end of 2006, that record's noticeable by its absence. funny how the enthusiasm for them tailed off so quickly- i can't think of a comparable example of a record there's been so much hype and expectation about, and then so rapidly fell off the radar.

we're a fickle lot, aren't we?!

childrentalking

Achso is 2005 or I'm sure it'd be an ever present. made my list then anyway.
off the top of my head so I'm sure the tracks section especially is going to have some shocking oversights. anyway.

albums:

Convextion 2xLP (not SPECTACULAR but just really well done, and endlessly listenable)
Andrew Chalk -- Goldfall LP / Blue Eyes From The March CD / River That Flows Through The Sands II cassette (love this guy; again, endlessly listenable: gauzy, reverbed slowly shifting clouds of sound. deserves more attention.)
J Dilla -- Donuts
Af Ursin - Aura Legato (similar to the Chalk; less processed, more percussive. beautiful packaging)
MV/EE + Bummer Road - Mother of Thousands (without a doubt, the apex of Matt Valentine's recording career. Need to hear the new one 'Green Blues' though.)
Glass Organ - The Two Tapes (LP reissue of 2 tiny edition tapes from Tone Filth founder Justin Meyer's amazing side project. Tone Filth in general is really neglected, definitely my favourite 'noise' label -- largely due to Meyer's own work. it's got a similar 'lost gauzy memory' quality to Chalk's work, but it's rougher around the edges. I can't really do this one justice but check out the sound samples on Tone Filth's website).
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (the first indie rock record I've really enjoyed for a while now.)
Burial - s/t / Kode9 + The Spaceape - Memories Of The Future (of course)
My My - Songs For The Gentle (even though, rhythmically speaking, this is firmly a house LP, all the new tracks are produced by the Hefner guy, so it's got a really nice downtempo-ish atmosphere to it)
Boots / C.C. / Snake & Remus 3xLP (totally headscratching acid-folk interspered with wanky field recordings from the same people who brought you Terry and Jim Collins. not as good, but still interesting.)
Zaimph - Mirage of the Other LP / GHQ - Cosmology of Eye LP (the best of Marcia Bassett's myriad offerings to the world this year; both better than Double Leopards' 2005 efforts. the solo Zaimph LP in particular is just goregeous.)

tracks:
Villalobos -- Fizheuer Zieheuer (cf Sherburne's column - I've lived it a few times. yes, it's that good. no, it doesn't need to be 37 minutes.)
Axolotl's Chemical Theatre 12" EP (easily the best stuff I've heard by this guy. gorgeous loops, like a muddy fingered Gas)
Audio Werner -- Trust
Luciano + Thomas Melchior -- Father / Melchior Productions -- Different Places
Shackleton -- Blood On My Hands/New Dawn/Hamas Rule
Substance + Vainqueur - Immersion (guess who's back... and as good as ever)
Mala -- Left Leg Out
Leonel Castillo -- Y El Viento Blanco (my favourite of this new crop of Argentinian 'minimal' producers; this is a 15 minute tripped out epic, nowhere near as staid as the endless m_nus clones elsewhere)
Martin Buttrich -- Full Clip (anthem)
Shed -- Selection One
Sven Weisseman -- Let's Swing (and Mojuba in general, who I think are really neglected -- probably largely due to their pressing sizes, but hey...)
Melon -- Summer (Live Mix) (gorgeous dubby house/tech with live percussion)
Pinch - Qawwali
Soundstream -- Love Jam (this is a fucking jam)

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
Really? I thought this was truly awful and I used to be a huge Roots fan.

I thought the Lupe Fiasco album was pretty damn good.

I didn't like it on first hearing either, but I gave it a second chance a few months later as it was being raved about in some quarters, and it's a real grower. On reflection, i think it's one of their best.