Richard Scarry

Lichen

I had a Richard Scarry colouring in book. Crowds of eager kids would form around me at breaktime.

STN

sou'wester
I liked the Lowly Worm Word book, when I was a lowly child.

The mother goose ones were good too.

Was Scarry big in England? I don't seem to remember other kids having his books, I thought I only got them cos my mum's American.

swears

preppy-kei
Was Scarry big in England? I don't seem to remember other kids having his books, I thought I only got them cos my mum's American.

I remember we had them at primary school and my nan had a couple for when me and my sister came around. Those little fellas definitely raise a smile.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
that's uncanny, i was about to post a scarry appreciation and here it is! and woebot that bio you link to mentions beatrix potter, another artist that deserves a thread.

swears

preppy-kei
Scarry would later declare to his colleagues that World War II was - in his opinion - the "best war ever".

jeep2.jpg

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
When I was a child I liked Richard Scarry books so much that I told my dad I hated my name and wanted to change it to Richard.

Octopus?

When I was a child I liked Richard Scarry books so much that I told my dad I hated my name and wanted to change it to Richard.

I would have my father read me "Cars And Trucks And Things That Go" every night multiple times until he could recite large chunks of the book from memory.

Looking at Scarry's books while shopping for reading for my daughter, I'm still completely hypnotized by the levels of thought and detail in every inch of the page. Fantastic stuff! And now I can finally justify buying his books :D

Woebot

Scarry was ace. I like the book about the fire station that was in the shape of a fire station.

bloody hell my son would love that! i need to get a proper scarry bibliography.

Did you see the Dr. Seuss entry? How...um...comprehensive.

yes i think it's a diss actually (also because large portions of the site are dedicated to detailing how people died) in the large spiel about scarry they mention how dr seuss went round random house one day and thumbed through a pile of scarry's books (they repped them both).....seuss asked nonchalantly (read arrogantly) are these popular then...oh yes came the reply gently when apparently scarry sold vastely more......

after i read that seuss kinda fell in my estimation. there is something kinda annoying about dr seuss isnt there......

-

for the record scarry's counting book and his alphabet book are a bit tedious

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I despise childhood-nostalgia, but seriously Richard Scarry was fucking great, much loved. It was all about the big "around the world" type book. That was amazing to read as a child, the story about the Greek painters sticks in the memory.

mms

sometimes
i learnt to read on those, my teddies were bruno, miss honey and i made a worm out of a stocking and some bits of scrap and some sewn on buttons at infant school and that ws lowly worm. It was easy to learn as he made a story and drew objects in a room with a description of the object under them as part of the narrative of the story. It's very simple and clever and his characters were great, bt my mum was a good teacher too . what do people do all day was the one. but there was one written in different european languages, i think mum was pushing it then.
they made the janet and john bollocks being hawked at infant school look retarded, no wonder i was always in trouble.

Last edited: