Saqqara Dogs

Rachel Verinder

The blissout band that time forgot?

Three-piece semi-instrumental American group led by one Bond Berglund; they released one incredible EP - World Crunch - in '86 with the phenomenal "Greenwich Mean Time" which is still my idea of what "post-rock" should have sounded like (in every other respect they were post-rock a decade ahead of the game) and then one album in '87 (Thirst) which wasn't quite as astounding but still very fine indeed.

To my knowledge none of this music has ever appeared on CD, and I think it high time that it did (unless you know different).

Anyone else recall them, or did I just dream them? And what the heck happened to Berglund (I can't even recall whether BB was a he or a she)?

polystyle

Yes, the Dogs .
I knew Bond (he) enough to say 'hi' and 'what's up ?' when I ran into him ,
usually around the corner of 8th St. (otherwise known as St.Marks Place) in E Village bk in the mid '80's.
He was only here for awhile tho' , made his mark and 'did his time' ,
possibly went bk to Cali ?
Someone else hopefully will know ...

But yea, not rereleased on CD or any media I know ...

tate

Brown Sugar
SR on Factrix, Bond Bergland's band that preceded Saqqara dogs; discussion comes at the end of the piece, which itself is devoted to the argument that industrial music was a second "flowering" of psychedelia. The second flowering, he says in the final sentence, was rave.

EDIT: woops, bit of synchronicity there on my part, dharry.

Last edited:

polystyle

Both Factrix and Saqqara Dogs ( reading something recently and found what Saqqara was /means , something ancient Egyptian maybe ... ?) could form , live , thrive in those years between early 80's to around 1986 -'87 here.
Some makers played their own version of what had been called 'Industrial'
, having fun in and around the edges of genre in a free zone that i guess lasted till The Trent
was deemed 'Father Of Industrial' on that old crap Spin mag cover.
That set a collective groan over the more experimental units I remember clearly .
We would be talking about it on the streets and in front of the mag shop on Ave. A between 4th& 5th .

Another example of things being good and free in early days of a sound,
in this case early days of a 'US Industrial' , as obv UK Industrial was going on for some time previously - then some group /someone either gets that big enough press /hired a press agent/a mag is looking to 'break a trend' , gets built up into 'the head of a movement'.
Break a trend indeed ...

john eden

male pale and stale
Greenwich Meantime is indeed excellent and was on the ambient industrial mix I did (with Stewart Home declaiming over the top).

I didn't rate the other tracks on the record which had vocals on them, tho.

I seem to remember googling them a while ago and finding that one of the band members had done some music afterwards...

Pirouette

I own Thirst on CD

Interesting group of aesthetes around here. This is my first delurking having read the site for a few weeks.

I purchased Thirst on CD a couple years after it came out in 1987, having only read the comparison of Saqqara Dogs with another fave, The Suns of Arqa, in the

Trouser Press Record Guide

I'm not so sure I follow the comparisons with early Industrial, as to my ears, is sounds a lot more like a collaboration twixt guitarist Dave Gilmour, Chapman stick player Tony Levin, and a fairly hot tabla player paying homage to late 60s psychedelia. I still wince at some of the lyrics.

I'd love to hear the 1986 World Crunch EP, but in the meantime, I'll try to rip the CD and share on SLSK under the same username when I get home from work.