This VU Acetate (merged)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
A bit rich for me, but would have been a nice addition to the collection -

http://cgi.ebay.com/VELVET-UNDERGRO...309QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

label1x.jpg

nomos

Administrator
This VU Acetate

EDIT: DIDN'T SEE NESS' WHEN I POSTED THIS SO I MERGED THEM
---

The copy depletes the aura?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VELVET-UNDERGRO...309QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

People are lunatics:

VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO 1966 Acetate LP ANDY WARHOL

Current bid: US $124,300.00

Personally I'd rather have a Jah Shaka or King Tubby plate for 1/2000 the cost. Or a condo downtown.

The other crazy part is that (of course) it was found at a garage sale (aren't they always) and now someone's going to be able to retire on the proceeds.

ollowing is excerpted and adapted (with the author's approval) from the article written by Eric Isaacson of Mississippi Records in Portland Oregon which is featured in the December 8, 2006 issue of Goldmine Magazine currently on newsstands through mid December:

THE MYSTERY OF THE VELVET UNDERGROUND'S "REAL FIRST RECORD" (AND HOW THE ONLY EXISTING COPY WAS BOUGHT FOR 75 CENTS)

In September of 2002 Warren Hill of Montreal Canada was perusing a box of records at a Chelsea, New York street sale when he happened upon a nice Leadbelly 10" on Folkways, a water damaged copy of the first Modern Lovers LP on Beserkely, and a brittle 12" piece of acetone-covered aluminum with the words "Velvet Underground. 4-25-66. Att N. Dolph" written on the label. He purchased the three records for 75 cents each.

As I have a small knowledge of records and am an old friend of Warren's, I got a call from him the next day in which he described the acetate. Because of the date and the unique type of pressing, we both agreed that it was probably an in-studio acetate made during the recording of the first Velvet Underground LP back in 1966 (I had heard that they occasionally would have a vinyl cutting lathe in the studio to cut records of the day's recordings for the artists and/or producers to take home for review).

label1x.jpg

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
if any private buyer actually buys that useless object at that price they seriously need to look at their lives, cos they are FUCKED UP! :) but i have a feeling the 'buyers' so far are bullshitters, the price is going up bit by bit 3 days before the sale, it's pure hype.

i have been thinking about this ever since i saw that article.. can you imagine the adrenaline of that record score? and i thought i was pumped when i scored an original 45 of televisions 'little johnny jewel' for a dollar at the chelsea flea market...
thank you immensely for sharing this link.

shudder

i have been thinking about this ever since i saw that article.. can you imagine the adrenaline of that record score? and i thought i was pumped when i scored an original 45 of televisions 'little johnny jewel' for a dollar at the chelsea flea market...
thank you immensely for sharing this link.

i'd kill for that television 45!

content

I think it can be scientifically proven that the Velvets are not overated. They had two albums that influenced a lot of other people. Just on the amount of other people's music they were directly responsible for, their influence cannot be overated. Maybe you think their music is overated which may or may not be a different subject all together.