Chromeo's list of influences

swears

preppy-kei
From an interview they did a couple of years back:

1. Klymaxx—a group of girls who sang that popular song "Meeting In The Ladies Room"
2. Serge Ponsard—he's a real obscure techno funk master that copies all popular songs in his own way
3. I-Level—this is an English band so you guys should know this
4. Paul Hardcastle—very good producer from the 80s
5. The Deele—Babyface's and L.A. Reid's first band
6. Ray Parker—incredible songwriter who wrote the theme song for Ghostbusters and New Edition's "Mr. Telephone Man"
7. Change—two Italian guys who went to the US. They were the first ones to put on Luther Vandross.
8. Phil Collins—whatever English people say about him is false, he's loved by everyone in the USA
9. The Time— Prince's protégés, they were lead by Morris Day
10. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis—these guys produced almost every hit from 84-87

Any information on the more obscure artists like I Level or The Deele?

hint

party record with a siren
They both have stuff on Youtube:

I-Level

The Deele

No great surprises there!

swears

preppy-kei
The Deele are awesome, but I Level are a bit rubbish and sound like The Style Council.
(Long Hot Summer is quite good, though.)

henry s

Street Fighting Man
The Deele had one great song ("Body Talk") and a lot of plop...(Babyface's drippy balladry was just taking shape here)...I think they were on the Solar label, though they were in fact from Cincinnati...

are Chromeo any good?...with influences like that, one could be really great, or super cheesy...

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The Deele are awesome, but I Level are a bit rubbish and sound like The Style Council.
(Long Hot Summer is quite good, though.)

They also did a far superior track to ''Our Song'' called ''Minefield''.At the time of release [in the mid 80's] the track picked up plays at New York clubs such The Funhouse and Paradise Garage.Its a good Soul/Reggae crossover that also has shades of The Style Council about it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Totally disagree about I-level, Give Me and Minefield are great - and weird - Uk soul tracks. Good to hear someone still remembers them