mix-type/multi-genre albums by single artist

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
hello

i'm looking for examples of single artist albums that are all segued - like orbital's brown album (the only one I can think of and don't have it to hand to check if seamless across all tracks).

also albums where one artist has recorded a number of tracks that really span genres - say like an ipod on random. wild shifts like garage rock to trance to ambient to folky.

anyone?

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
Er... Good examples are Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral and even moreso (because of its varied contents and long running time) The Fragile.... I hang my head in shame for raising them.

Woebot

try todd rungdrens "a wizard a true star" thats about the most example of what youre looking for i reckon

xero

was minusone
Giorgio Moroder - From here to eternity fits the bill as does that Black Devil LP although the reissue on rephlex only had some of the tracks in a different sequence i think

owen

man like moroder

giorgio owns this. 'from here to eternity' is amazing.
one side of donna summer's 'once upon a time' is mixed as well, as is the 'on the radio' best of, and side 1 of 'a love trilogy' etc...

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
Er oh yeah and Abbey Road side 2!

I am ignorant of Todd Rundgren - didn't he do a duet with Bonnie Tyler? I have this prejudice that he will be AOR type stuff. I know I know I am probably/undoubtedly a fool.

So there's no-one who's done anything approaching the Coldcut JDJ disc as a single artist?

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
matt b said:
'sgt pepper's' has one break at the end of side one.
Oh yeh... although the tracks don't merge seamlessly into one another. I'm surprised that mix albums have been going so long but have not resulted in similar artist albums. I know it's damn difficult to do but I would have thought a few people would have had a crack at it.

I mean something along these lines - ferox-style techno to silly acid trance to early compost-style jazzy shit:

Breathe pts i-iii

Or even better, something encompassing non-electronic stuff too.

jack

thighpaulsandra of coil and spiritualised 'fame' made an album with sections of opera, indie rock, wild Russian violins, and (you guessed it) a shedload of drones.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
wasn't DJ Spooky good at that kind of thing?

....and what about Jive Bunny?

Didn't they pull an eclectic bunch of tunes together in one seamless mix?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Actually...somebody else springs to mind - People Like Us (real name: vicki sumfink), she makes some brilliant stuff

carlos

manos de piedra
luka said:
doesn't 'what's going on' do that.?

i was going to suggest that- i think i remember it flowing continuously- at least per side

also "on the corner" by miles davis- most of it runs continuous if i remember correctly

also- this may not count- but the screwed and chopped versions of hiphop album mix all the cuts together- been listening to david banner's mississippi and lil wayne's the carter (screwed/chopped/mixed by michael watts of swisha house) lately

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Biochip Cs Biocalypse 2lp contains breakbeat 'ardcore, gabber, acid, some trance-like stuff and some ambient-ish stuff, and the tracks are mixed so that each side is like a kind of rave-suite. On the cd version it could be one continuous mix, but I haven't heard it. Oh, and it's the best techno album ever.

Hex (a Coldcut thing) made a record called Global Chaos, being a somewhat similar continous omni-rave+ambient mix. But it's nowhere near as good.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Come to think of it, on most of Martin Damm(Biochip C)s albums the tracks are mixed. Speed Freak albums like For You and Desruction by Speed, and Biochip albums like Breakdown and 2001, they all do it, more or less. But especially interesting in this context is probably the Steel album Audio Cynicism, containing dark ambient, different kinds of electro and big beat-ish things, some strange electronica, and techstep.

carlos

manos de piedra
i have biochip c's 2001 and you're right- he does a bit of everything and all of it quite well

don't have much by him other than a speedfreak box set (pretty much all gabber/speedcore) a force inc 12" (electro-ish) and a 12" on lux nigra (tracks from 2001)