Gong

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What do Dissensians think of them?

I'm just going through their earlier stuff now critically as opposed to hearing it, erm, uncritically, and kinda think some of it is totally briliant, but don't know much about them really.

D

dubversion

I used to love them and had many of their albums.

I was wrong :(

PeteUM

It's all grist
There will always be a part of me that loves Gong, but I think it might be the bit that's still tripping...

and I own a Flying Teapot badge that Daevid Allen once wore.

But I have tried to play their records to people and searched hard for the bit that sounded so good in the past.

And I think its funny that some of the hip Japanese groups namecheck them, but fans of those groups wouldn't.

And I love the Camembert Electrique sleeve.

mistersloane

That's funny both of you should say that, because I kinda tolerated other people playing them during 'sessions' and couldn't really abide it, but now listening to them I'm finding it really rewarding, they're much funkier and richer than I remember.

mms

sometimes
there is a part of me that loves the trilogy, i used to smoke quantities to it as a teen, and take many other things.

also some of the more fusiony later ones, gazueuse etc and the divided alien playbacks which used alot of early phasing/sampling stuff, to greater or lesser effect.

all pretty good, some shockingly hippy bullshit in there that ruins things.
Also some of the hillage stuff is ok, get a bit wimpy and newage though.

D

dubversion

I guess i can't entirely disown Camembert, or Angel's Egg or even FLying Teapot. But any redeeming musical features are subsumed beneath the hippy whimsy. I've seen Daevid Allen live, too, and i wanted to start killing the hostages. A superannuated Play School presenter in dungarees prancing around the stage trying to force a 'happening' into being. A dreadful dreadful man

nonightsweats

there's lots of great synth playing over all of the early -> mid 70s albums. and this interplays with the guitar really well. but all of the albums are a bit ruined by the teapot stuff, really. far less cloying are the solo efforts - hillages "fish rising" and tim blake's "new jerusalem"

mistersloane

That's great people thanks, keep em coming. I acually don't mind the teapot stuff sober nearly as much as I did when un-sober...no idea what that says about me!

Numbers

Do you guys remember this Quasimoto track called 'Bully's hit'? It samples Gong in a rather genius way. I don't remember the title of the Gong track though. Anyway, here is the video.

Woebot

like mms sez. it's all about the trilogy. but i still love the idea of them. daevid allen=hardcore geezer.

people who like the trilogy should apparently check out steve hillage's "fish rising"

mms

sometimes
i liked the floating anarchy album and i can remember their attempt at a really super repetitive scuffed up punk band new york gong is brave at least.
i had the gong logo on my vision snub stick skateboard i dont know why, i think i was trying to wind up the kids into hardcore.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I don't know much about Gong, but I do know this: the collaborations between Steve Hillage and Derrick May still sound great to these ears, and are about the only thing System 7 things worth listening to...(I always wondered if May thought he was actually working with the E2-E4 guy...I mean, Steve Hillage?!...did Derrick May even know who this guy was?)

PeteUM

It's all grist
That New York Gong album is Daevid Allen with Material, as I understand it, and some of it is pretty good. Also the Divided Alien Playbax spinoff thing has some good stuff on it too. And Daevid Allen's work with Kramer is alright too.