WOEBOT.tv

tox

Factory Girl
so this is what's been going on since woebot.com went quiet?

like it.

nice to see a woebot tshirt in action too.

tht

akstavrh
the cadence of the comment track sounds like those jump-cut interview founds on dvd extras where the interviewer is excised

if as you say there is little written about this music by non-fans, the gender aspects would be an easy place to begin , the way complexity is always functional as against the VU>Neu>Pil canon of reflexivity and something approaching deconstruction, prog is completely undialectical syncretism and redundant counterpoint........totally SISSY music with no relief in terms of postmodern get out clauses

shudder

wow, that was great. very well done. It must have taken a lot of work!

I liked a lot of the visuals with the album covers, band shots, etc. The introductory comments about the mutual mistrust between the music crit/pop establishment and progheads were a very good lead-in into Gentle Giant, about whom I knew absolutely nothing beforehand. In fact, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to most proggy stuff that isn't kraut (probably like many on this board)... Seeing this, and combing through the best of '06 thread, I'm pretty much overwhelmed at how much music I don't know fuck all about! :)

I also liked how you covered your face. Allowed you to actually talk to the camera while still remaining in Woebot persona (and not being totally Matt whatever-your-last-name-is).

shudder

oh, and is it me or is this format (bloggy video music geekery) pretty much unprecedented? I mean, sure there are the video blogs/youtube confessionals, but woebot tv is only a very distant cousin. This is also unlike a normal tv music documentary, since it has a very internetty visual esthetic, and is really for a very specialized audience (for the most part). It also has something of a bloggy voice, or at least a voice familiar to woebot-research readers, with the semi-rambling commentary within a clear overall structure. I suppose it's slightly reminiscent of the short documentaries on the amen break and the 303 (i can't remember who made them), but this is much more visually engaging, and more conversational in tone.

Any chance of a video delivery system which would allow the viewer to skip around??

swears

preppy-kei
I have a proghead mate that loves Gentle Giant, I'll email him a link, he'll be well into this.:)

Guybrush

Dittohead
Very informative, and nicely realised. I think omitting the option for the viewer to jump back and forth in the video was wise too, it gives it an aura of television program and compels the viewer to sit it through.

mms

sometimes
that was ace.
never heard any of their stuff before so it was a suprise, very close to that kinda fusion stuff like passport etc. will check it out, nice odd production from you sir. wonder if they named themselves after the yusef lateef lp.

Last edited:

Don Rosco

Yeah, really good. Smartly put together, and covering some great music too. Looking forward to the next episode.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Wow, very well done. I've been interested in seeking out the good prog these days myself, so this was a very helpful introduction. Thanks!

Woebot

thanks everyone. very nice of y'all. i think it turned out pretty OK. certainly was a mammoth amount of work!

@ hurting. i've fixed a bicycle helmet into the crt monitor so it's quite comfortable :)

@ having a "masthead" to skip a bit through the stream. i wanted this in the first place, spent hours fiddling around in flash before discovering the coding needed to be done in dreamweaver. i suppose having it is an acknowledgement that carving out a full 20 mins can be tricky for people. otherwise if you *have* to quit- to get back the same place is, well, not tedious perhaps but a case of watching the whole thing again. also one can watch specific bits.

@ the audio. everyone's been very polite about this. it works i suppose but next show i need to get it better.

-

beyond the formal/behind-the-scenes stuff i'm glad peeps took on board "the message". ever so slightly waiting for Gentle Giant to slap a big writ on me. i toyed with the idea of trying to establish contact with them to seek permission (i guess it's all fairly harmless - no mp3s to download etc) but in the end decided that it'd probably strangle the project even though, obviously, it's nice publicity. derek and ray certainly are still big in the biz.

shudder

(speaking from utter laughable ignorance here, but) if this were a tv documentary, would you have to get clearance for playing the music and showing the album covers? Or were you just (slightly) worried about the excerpts from the dvd?

mms

sometimes
so is this to replace your written blog matt?

its very cool, i'm sure the gentle giant people would be chuffed to bits :)

tate

Brown Sugar
Haven't been able to see this yet b/c travelling/no access to adequate comp but am very eager to watch, I can only imagine how good it is.