Urgh! A Music War!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Just got this on a bootleg DVD...A fantasmagoria for the typical Dissensus Trainspotter seeped in 80s music and body-without-organ anti-rockist wockery. Great to see the most seminal band on post-riot-grrl indie-muzak - Toyah Wilcox....The cool thing is that alot the bands were pretty good, even if the crowds were total geeks...! And could someone confirm whether CHELSEA were an Oi! band?

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I don't really see Chelsea as an Oi! band. More just a shit punk band, but maybe that's just me. I sort of think of them as a bit too early for Oi.

STN

sou'wester
Looks like a good film - I'd never, ever heard of it. I've a lot of time for the Go-Go's and the Fleshtones though - and loads of the other groups, come to think of it. I can never remember whether I like Wall of Voodoo or not.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I take that back THE AU PAIRS were the biggest influenced post-90s chicky-indie..

URGH! the Post Punque thyme capsule!

N

nomadologist

I can never remember whether I like Wall of Voodoo or not.

Sure you do. 'Back in Flesh' is a great song.

Is there good Klaus Nomi footage on this? I thought the Nomi Song was another good movie in this vein.

I don't know what wockery means but I'm guessing it's some kind variation on wankery.

bruno

est malade
so this is the one! i've seen parts of it a billion times. au pairs and steel pulse were highlights!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Watching URGH! is becomes quite obvious what they KEY musics of the time were to post-punk, sonically:

1. KRAFTWERK
2. Wire
3. Glam, esp Roxy music
4. reggae, ska and the ass-end of UK punque. But the white-ska thing is one of the emabarassments of modern musics.

The cool thing was the stage shows of some of the big acts. GARY NUMANS Dr. Who's Davros meets meets Dresden war rallies via TRON is pretty elaborate and whacked, I mean Marilyn Manson hasn't been able to top it, though Missy ELliot has! He was defintely a big influence on Stephen Hawking.

DEVO's show is also pretty dynamic.