There is no spoon. (The mystery of Uri Geller)

P

Parson

all this talk of the paranormal prompted me to look up uri on wiki:

Geller's performances of drawing duplication and cutlery bending usually take place under informal conditions such as television interviews. During his early career he did allow some scientists to investigate his claims. A study[3] by Stanford Research Institute researchers Harold E. Puthoff and Russell Targ concluded that he had clearly performed successfully enough to warrant further serious study, and a new term, the "Geller-effect", was coined to refer to the particular type of abilities they felt had been demonstrated. Puthoff and Targ's report of Geller's remote viewing test was subsequently published in the British scientific journal Nature in 1974, along with an editorial expressing certain reservations.

Last edited:
P

Parson

also this is cute trivia:
Pokemon2.jpg

Cutlery-bender Uri Geller (53) is up in arms at Nintendo about two "Un-Geller" Pokemon trading cards. Yesterday's Guardian UK daily newspaper reported that Geller is considering sueing Nintendo because of the likenesses on the cards, one of which portrays a "good" Un-Geller and the other a "bad" Un-Geller. The newspaper reported that Geller is likely to seek £60 million in damages for using his image without permission. The trading cards, which are highly popular with children, sell for as much as £15 here. Geller, who was in Tokyo last week, is reported to have said that he was startled when he was mobbed by kids thrusting Un-Geller cards at him and asking him to put his moniker on them. The image on the Un-Geller Pokemon cards shows a monster carrying two spoons in his hands. In the West, one of the Pokemon characters is called Alakazam, and is only called Un-Geller in Japan. The other character, Cadabra over here, also holds spoons in his hands.

krankissey

mr. great

i think geller easily fits into the "easily discountable" catagory of the paranormal.

also: he got carsowned.

P

Parson

well the fact that it can be recreated with trickery doesn't do much to discount the scientific investigation conducted by stanford

P

Parson

Puthoff is well known within gravitational physics for his papers on polarizable vacuum (PV) and stochastic electrodynamics topics, which are examples of alternative approaches to general relativity and quantum mechanics. In the '70s and '80s he directed a CIA/DIA-funded program at SRI International to investigate paranomal abilities, collaborating with Russell Targ in a study of the alleged psychic abilities of Uri Geller, Ingo Swann, Pat Price, Joseph McMoneagle and others.

Puthoff has invented and worked with tunable lasers and electron beam devices, concerning which he holds patents, and is co-author (with R. Pantell) of "Fundamentals of Quantum Electronics" (Wiley, 1969), published in English, French and Russian.

Russell Targ is an American physicist and author who was a pioneer in the development of the laser, and cofounder of the Stanford Research Institute's investigation of the alleged psychic abilities of Uri Geller in the 1970s and 1980s with Harold E. Puthoff.

He has a B.S. in physics from Queens College, and did graduate work in physics at Columbia University. He received two National Aeronautics and Space Administration awards for inventions and contributions in lasers and laser communications, according to shiftinaction.com.

He is also an editor, publisher, songwriter, producer, a teacher. Targ retired from Lockheed Martin as a senior staff scientist, where he developed laser technology for peaceful applications, according to the espresearch.com website.

P

Parson

Secret government work

Puthoff was once a United States Navy officer who was assigned to the National Security Agency (NSA), later becoming a civilian employee. Following a sabbatical at Stanford University to obtain his Ph.D., he joined SRI International where in 1972, together with Russell Targ, he founded a then-highly-classified, now-highly-publicised "remote viewing" program, originally called Project SCANATE, finally STAR GATE, which was funded over its two-decade-plus history by the CIA, DIA, and various military organizations.[citation needed]

Puthoff has held high-level security clearances with the United States government.

zhao

there are no accidents
while I think it is silly to speculate on whether this stuff actually happens or not (what's the point?), I personally have no doubt in my mind that it is possible, and that some individuals are very capable of, and have acheived levels of mastery compared to which bending a spoon is child's play.

I think individuals who reach these heights are on much higher planes of consciousness (relative to ordinary people), and whether the world is impressed with their "abilities" or not is of absolutely less than zero consequence to them -- in fact, they probably make sure that it is hidden from the public, whose lower spectrum energy fluctuations can only hinder them on their quest.

in most Tibetan temples levitation and flight is within first year's study -- it's like, newbie freshmen boring crap to them.

Last edited:
P

Parson

after reading about this stuff i sat here and tried to move stuff with my mind for a good ten minutes

zhao

there are no accidents
sorry to break it to you but I think, like anything else worthwhile, this stuff might take some time and discipline...

P

Parson

at first i was imagining a psychic arm of sorts.. like a stiff rod that i was trying to knock things over with. its weird i can feen real physical strain on my brain as i'm really trying very hard to do this with my mind.

then i started thinking of it less as something stiff but more like something limp that wasn't going to have any effect that far away, so i started trying to move things that were closer and had less weight

oh well i think i'm gonna have to file this off with the likes of my guitar lessons and piano lessons and peeing standing up

zhao

there are no accidents
I think in order to go beyond the physical boundaries and properties of matter, which is just an illusion anyway, and exist and move in the realm of pure energy, you have to transcend this plane, absolve your body, and become a field of particles free floating in the larger field of particles. have you tried that?

peeing standing up

are you of the female persuassion?

P

Parson

I think in order to go beyond the physical boundaries and properties of matter, which is just an illusion anyway, and exist and move in the realm of pure energy, you have to transcend this plane, absolve your body, and become a field of particles free floating in the larger field of particles. have you tried that?

yeah. i have actually successfully achieved such results accidentally in a number of ways and it has had me concerned for my own sanity for about a decade now.

basically i took way too much acid in the 90s.

zhao

there are no accidents
That's quite a statement.

there is actually a short manual for levitation... consists of a series of breathing excersize... in one nostril, out the other. and if you practice daily, after 6 months or so you will start to bounce a little bit while meditating, and after a year or so start hovering. suposedly. but I'm going to try it. will let you know.