sufi

lala
Elections in Iraq

Why we boycott the so called
Election in Iraq
And calling people to defeat it?
6.jpg
Organization of Women’s Freedom in Iraq (OWFI) -UK representative

Will hold a seminar in London to discuss issues around the so called election in Iraq and women’s question:
· the catastrophic political consequences of legalizing the ethno-religious based parties in power
· the constitution writing process to be handled by the most reactionary groups
· the insecurity, humanitarian disaster and daily death toll
· the importance of boycotting it by the progressive and secular masses inside and outside Iraq

Join us to know more about the ways in which you can support a bright alternative for the people and the women in Iraq.

Venue: ULU -Malet Street
Room 3D London WC1E 7HY
Nearest tube station is Goodge Street
Date & Time: 27/01/2005 at 6.30.00-9.30.00PM

Speakers:
Yanar Mohammed: Chair of OWFI and a renowned leader known internationally for her activism for women’s rights in Iraq.
(The civil front)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Muayad Ahmed: Member of Political bureau of Worker-communist party of Iraq and a co-founder of federation of Workers councils and unions in Iraq.
4.jpg
5.jpg
(The reactionary front)

For more information please contact the organizer:
Houzan Mahmoud E-mail: houzan73@yahoo.co.uk
received this today
comments?

sufi

lala
ok tidied up that post & put in the pics from the email.

we already started on this topic on other threads, i raised some doubts about the elections,

there's no vote against occupation is there?
quite apart from the intricacies & practicalities of actually pulling the election off in this climate... can it be authentic 'democracy' if the electorate's choice is restricted?

craner

Beast of Burden
anti-butchery

That's good, yes to secularism INDEED, and all those people look sane and senisble and attractive, BUT WHAT IS THEIR BRIGHT ALTERNATIVE???

Who are they? What's their alternative?

Incidentally, it's a joy in itself to see open politcal debate and dissent happening on the Iraqi street.

On the other thread, I was rather surprised none of the far-lefters here even managed one word in tribute to fallen comrade Hadi Saleh. Even Hitchens managed more in his latest Slate piece. So:

Resolution for Ward or Constituency Labour Party: Iraqi Trade Unions
This CLP believes that the Iraqi 'resistance' is seeking to eliminate the leadership of the emerging Iraqi labour movement, as exemplified by a wave of attacks including the recent torture and murder of Hadi Saleh, International Secretary of the Iraqi Federation of Trade Unions and two failed assassination attempts in 2004 on Nozad Ismail, the President of the Iraqi Federation of Trade Unions in Kirkuk and continued death threats made against him. This CLP supports railway workers in Basra who are on strike in pursuit of improved protection and the safe return of their kidnapped colleagues. This CLP welcomes
solidarity statements made by the ICFTU, the TUC and the wider international labour movement in response to the murder of Hadi Saleh and resolves to a) hold a fund-raising event for the striking Basra Rail workers and the TUC Fund for Iraq, co-hosted by local trade unions, b) to invite a speaker to address the CLP from Labour Friends of Iraq and to subscribe to Labour Friends of Iraq.

We're growing, join us
LFIQ supporters include Harry Barnes MP, John Mann MP, Rt Hon Ann Clwyd MP - Special Envoy to the Prime Minister on Human Rights in Iraq, Roger Casale MP, Chris Mole MP, Stephen Pound MP, Andy Burnham MP, Steve McCabe MP, Clive Betts MP, Andy King MP, Adrian Bailey MP, David Cairns MP and Mike Gapes MP. Why don’t you join too?

The murder of Hadi Saleh – why are you silent? An open letter to the leaders of the Stop the War Coalition.
We invite anyone who supports the views expressed in this Open Letter, whatever political party they support, to sign it - email us at info@labourfriendsofiraq.org.uk

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oliver craner said:
On the other thread, I was rather surprised none of the far-lefters here even managed one word in tribute to fallen comrade Hadi Saleh. Even Hitchens managed more in his latest Slate piece.

is this supposed to be taken as a critique of the 'left's position (as you see it)?

more interestingly the 'elections' won't be going ahead in full:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4166587.stm

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
No, it wasn't a critique, otherwise it would have been one. It was an expression of surprise, and regret.

Having said that, you all dodge these divisons with unsubtle silence.

I think that's interesting. Maybe I'm the only one.

craner

Beast of Burden
Hey Soof: how come there's no date for this seminar? Also, do you have to be a SOAS or University of London student to attend their open lectures?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oliver craner said:
Having said that, you all dodge these divisons with unsubtle silence.

if you explain what you mean, i'll happily give you MY perspective

craner

Beast of Burden
Oh, and I do think that the Iraqi left is badly represented by Stop the War Coalition, and I have nothing aganist the Iraqi left per se, I just think opposing elections is a bad tactic, but really I'm more interested in hearing their alternativesm, so, so, so, I'd like to know what they are. And that's a request, and I'm listening.

craner

Beast of Burden
Welol, for example, you seem to lump the resistance in with the Communist Party and the Trade Unions when there's a palpable conflict of interest, which is damaging to ignore (for your cause, in fact).

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, maybe not you personally, but generally...that's why the petition asks STWC: why the silence over Hadi Saleh?

craner

Beast of Burden
I'll be quieter and less blustery today, I promise. Drizzle me in brightness. I'm reading Carnival of Revoltion by Padraic Kenney, about 'central europe 1989' so I'm in a positive, affirmative action, rainbow colaition kidn of mood...

sufi

lala
i'm kinda procrastinating about writing anything judgemental here cos i've got a fair bit of reading to do:

i read oliver's Rubin peice (was hoping it might be our mate Jim Rubin, but no)

i'm jus spinning thru some 3 good & relevant articles on terrorism, resistance etc at opendemocracy which i'd recommend & be interested to hear views on.

also on the reading list:
Inside AlQaeda - Mohd Sifaoui (who apparently infiltrated AlQ - short book, big writing)
پرسپوليس - مرجانه ساتراپی (Persepolis - Marjan Satrapi, graphic novel)

that meeting is 27th Jan - must be open to all, let's go along?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i don't think we should lump all the the different groups together as a single 'resistance': they have the same enemy (US/UK occupying forces) but they do not have the same goals / aims. (same goes for EU policy- i would not vote to join the euro- the same as UKIP. that doesn't mean i have reactionary rightwing policies). i guess we agree on this point.

re: elections:
it depends whether they are meaningful doesn't it?- do the iraqi people have the option of voting for people who represent their views, or are those people standing the one's who are acceptable to the US (i accept that the two things are not mutually exclusive, but i don't think they coincide at the moment)

also, who is going to gain from the elections: the US as a propaganda tool (with no change on the ground, and an escape clause, if wanted) or the iraqi's (see previous point)?

i don't think either of these issues have been discussed/resolved in the public domain to any extent.

lastly. ANY innocent death is to be condemned, but unfortunately there simply aren't enough hours in the day to publically express this in individual cases- too many are dying....

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm still being quiet but I do want to just say that I found this

ANY innocent death is to be condemned, but unfortunately there simply aren't enough hours in the day to publically express this in individual cases- too many are dying....

a bit annoying.

For a start, because it was wrong. Salih's death wasn't an innocent death: he was killed for being a secularist and a political radical by reactionaries from the old regime, who are now in alliance with insane reactionary theocrats and jihadis.

That's the situation.

Secondly, because it seems to me, to retain any respect, indeed self-respect, the very least the left can do is stand up and recognise how this crime effects their cause and case in Iraq's future.

This wasn't just another death. It was important.

It proves that what Marc Cooper said about the American left in regard to Iraq applies further afield: it doesn't know what it's for, only what it's against.

At least someone else is annoyed about it: http://www.johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=544

I had other reasonble things to say, but I'll wait awhile.

turtles

in the sea
Hey I'll admit to having a pretty confused and contradictory stance on Iraq and the election. It's a pretty confused and contradictory situation.

I totally support the iraqi's right to resist the occupation of iraq, but I'm also appalled by the tactics of many resistance groups, and the extreme religious fundamentalism of many of them. That's not too contradictory I guess, I support resistance on principle, but my support for actual groups within the resistanc movement is rather limited to those that aren't happily killing innocents.

I'd like the iraqi people to be able to decide freely upon thier type of goverment, while at the same time hoping they choose an open and secular gov't rather than a religious theocracy kind of thing (which would likely discriminate against women and have other nasty side effects). This is totally contradictory, and is really quite representative of western leftist positions that wish to respect local peoples opinions whilst simultaneously imposing and judging them by western standards. I'm not entirely certain the way out of this trap. However, I do certainly reject the neocon agenda of forcing democracy and secularism onto the people of iraq.

As for boycotting elections I am similarly confused. I totally understand these peoples urge to boycott the elections and not give legitimacy to the new gov't, but I think the whole idea of boycotting is predicated on the idea that the new gov't will not succeed. Because one of the big tasks for the new gov't is writing the new iraqi constitution, and if these groups get left out of that process, they could be screwed for a long long time.

Anyway, one of the things that I do know for sure though, is that the US gov't created this war out of nothing, the invasion of iraq was not necessary, but they lied and cajoled their way into it anyway. And now iraq is in an absolute mess and 10 of thousands (100 thousand+ if you believe the lancet) have died for NO GOOD REASON. so yeah, fuck bush.

craner

Beast of Burden
No one knows what the elections will produce, therefore no one knows what the new adminsitration will look like: FACT. (There's no Karzai option: nothing that progressive, unfortunately.)

Other quick things to annoy you all more.

When someone of the leftist calibre of Salih is tortured and murdered horribly and there's no coherent statement of outrage and disgust on the part of the left (excpet some shuffling and recrimination and ammunition fired at Hari too - see recent comments on his site) - the question is, what solidarity is there left on the Left? And I ask that with regret, I should emphasise.

Surely we should register that STWC and SWP and all that left, in making common cause with the ex-Ba'athist/Sunni Triangle/jihadist/Iranian backed Shi'ite resistance amounts to something as corrupt as a dwarfish Stalin-Hitler pact (to pre-empt backlash I'm not saying anything as simple as one side is just like Stalin and the other is just like Hitler...although I don't want to be too precious about this...): an de facto alliance of mutually antagonistic entities...is that the healthy, 'bright' solution?

I hope not.

Will the left simply rely on blocking all moderates, reformers, trade unions, left parties and pro-democracy voices who decide to participate in elections by calling them "collaboraters" - is this blanket denunciation helful for Iraq's future? Really, honestly, truly? A Sunni Ba'athist/Islamist/extreme left coalition sounds pretty grim to me...do you really consider it viable?

It seems to me that the election will be too cluttered and chaotic to be controlled. It's also apparently true, according to some polls, that the majority of Iraqis want elections ASAP. Will the US honour the outcome...WE HAVE YET TO SEE. They're close now, anyway. Until then, this debate is academic, and can't go further, I think.

Remind me, though, what are the benefits (in real terms: security, jobs, food, electricty, water etc.) of boycotting the elections and lending succour to the resistance?

Is it really healthy to oppose elections on the basis that, should they be successful, it would hand a "propaganda coup" to the US? That's an insular, damaging argument as far as I can see.

What are all the different factions' goals? If their aims do not align, as we've all agreed that the "resistance" - which we all have a different quantative and qualitive persepctive on anyway, but nevermind - is disparate and heterogenous and non-redicuble and other big words...if their aims do not align, then how are they going to function

for the future good of Iraq and more importantly Iraqis

in an anti-democratic resistance in anyway more effective than a rudimentary/developing democratic system?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oliver craner said:
Salih's death wasn't an innocent death: he was killed for being a secularist and a political radical by reactionaries from the old regime, who are now in alliance with insane reactionary theocrats and jihadis. Secondly, because it seems to me, to retain any respect, indeed self-respect, the very least the left can do is stand up and recognise how this crime effects their cause and case in Iraq's future.

firstly, drop this 'the left' bollocks. there isn't a homogenised left- i hate the swp as much as you (no doubt) do- its very lazy.

secondly, we all agree iraq is fucked. my point is that it is not a suprise. bush et al were told this would happen and chose to ignore it. the fault is theirs, not anyone else's

just because salih was a tradeunionist does not mean that comments have to be forthcoming about his case specifically IMO- i still don't understand your point.

oliver craner said:
It proves that what Marc Cooper said about the American left in regard to Iraq applies further afield: it doesn't know what it's for, only what it's against.

are you an 18 year old politics student? where do you get this guff from? you're talking out your arse.