Black Devil Disco Club

N

nomadologist

My boyfriend bought this today and it's really good. Anyone else hear it yet? I'll yousend some of it if anyone wants.

I'd never heard of them till this week, which surprised me when I heard them. If anyone knows other music in this vein please recommend it!

Guybrush

Dittohead
I heard both records for the first time a month or so ago (the 1978 Black Devil record and the new one), both sound good, if not particularly exciting to these electronic-disco weary ears. There are loads of similar records and artists, among my favourites are Ganymed, Kebekelektrik and, to stretch it a bit, Dee D Jackson's ‘Automatic Lover’ (cool video!).

N

nomadologist

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited to hear it, nor was I blown away by this release at first listen--sounded like pretty well-worn territory. Especially because lately I've been listening to ridiculous amounts of Italo and cosmic disco and loving some of that CBS top 100 stuff (like Big Ben Tribe, Decadance, etc.)

But BDDC sounded better and better on every listen, the production is great. I suppose it's remasteredand whoever did it did a fantastic job...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I went to see them perform live last month at Plastic People. Well, it's one original guy (Bernard Fevre) and I think the other one is the guy who does that Iueke website. Pretty cool show I thought, filled with trendies as you might expect but sounded good, just like they do on record really so it didn't really add that much but worth seeing.

mms

sometimes
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I wasn't exactly excited to hear it, nor was I blown away by this release at first listen--sounded like pretty well-worn territory. Especially because lately I've been listening to ridiculous amounts of Italo and cosmic disco and loving some of that CBS top 100 stuff (like Big Ben Tribe, Decadance, etc.)

But BDDC sounded better and better on every listen, the production is great. I suppose it's remasteredand whoever did it did a fantastic job...

it was two guys bernard fevre and jackie giordano, two french library musicians.
jackie is dead but bernard has done another version 23 years later on lo, a kind of modern update with a touch of autobiography. it was actually remastered off vinyl, the licencees had no original tapes. its a bit older a bit more involved than italo stuff i reckon, bits of it remind me of black dog a little.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bernard+Fevre

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jacky+Giordano

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Mister Sloane: I'll put some up in a few.

I decided last night that I LOVE BDDC. It definitely rewards repeated listens. The production values are sort of my dream of what perfect production is--really dark deep saturated reverb-drenched round bass tones, full dynamic range, muddier at parts than Moroder but still has that Italo energy and fantastic beat.

MMS--tell me more, who were these two?? Why are they just being reissued Anybody know more?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"MMS--tell me more, who were these two?? Why are they just being reissued Anybody know more"
This guy has got some Bernard Fevre libraries for sale, if - like me - you can't afford them you can at least listen to the samples.

http://www.iueke.com/category/library/

Dunno the full story but I was under the impression that the 28 Later thing had been recorded recently although I'm not certain about that.
I didn't know that the other bloke was dead, someone told me that he was on the run from the law or something but maybe that's just a good story.

mms

sometimes
This guy has got some Bernard Fevre libraries for sale, if - like me - you can't afford them you can at least listen to the samples.

Dunno the full story but I was under the impression that the 28 Later thing had been recorded recently although I'm not certain about that.
I didn't know that the other bloke was dead, someone told me that he was on the run from the law or something but maybe that's just a good story.
28 later is new, he wrote it after the success of rephlex reissue, which they put out as it was a favorite of theirs. a guy on rephlex called pp roy who was a master of living inexpensivley and getting amazing records for next to nothing had it on tapes he made for years, rephlex liked it so much they tracked down the owner.
btw the stuff by the other dude is better library wise.

Woebot

iueke, that's our boy gwen. gwen dj'd at fevre's recent BDDC in london.

the original BDDC record was, i believe, a one-off. i haven't checked mms's link to discogs, but i imagine it was recorded in 1976 or something.

@nomadologist. what happened was that mms's old record label rephlex reissued the original track - an italo disco obscurity which was selling on eBay at vastely-inflated prices. on the basis of that reissue, a couple of years ago now, fevre has re-assembled the BDDC unit and put more tracks out. i've heard the disc too, blissblogger sent me a copy, and it's sweet.

what i was wondering was how much of the material was new, remixes of old stuff etc

mms

sometimes
iueke, that's our boy gwen. gwen dj'd at fevre's recent BDDC in london.

the original BDDC record was, i believe, a one-off. i haven't checked mms's link to discogs, but i imagine it was recorded in 1976 or something.

@nomadologist. what happened was that mms's old record label rephlex reissued the original track - an italo disco obscurity which was selling on eBay at vastely-inflated prices. on the basis of that reissue, a couple of years ago now, fevre has re-assembled the BDDC unit and put more tracks out. i've heard the disc too, blissblogger sent me a copy, and it's sweet.

what i was wondering was how much of the material was new, remixes of old stuff etc

not quite my old record label, i worked there for a few years. :)
it was recorded in 78. there are a few tracks in the same ball park as it, one being q's voice of q - but black devil disco club is a real treat, people are still discovering it and all.
i'm pretty sure there have to be some other things as good as that but i haven't discovered any there is that indoor life record but its different, more post punk.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

thanks for the info, guys. i'll check out the stuff that's for sale. idlerich, though i'm pretty broke at the moment.

on new year's eve some friends and i were listening and we couldn't decide why it sounded so analog-good, but then clearly seemed to have some overdubbed parts. we were like "are we just really bent or is this album partly new and partly original mastered stuff?" i think we argued for a while until we realized there was no way that sitar sound was original to the first release of the recording.

one of my friends from L.A. is a DJ and he was saying anytime you drop BDDC the party dies. I thought maybe that's because it doesn't mix well, but he thought it's because the production is so much darker and muddier than anything new or even Italo tracks from around the same time make it sound sort of evil.

wish there were a lot more records like this around, anyway...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I wouldn't have especially thought it was dancing music although I would say it was mournful rather than dark. On the other hand at the gig it sounded like party music but I think maybe it was because people were reacting to the way that Mr Fevre looked as though he was having so much (long overdue?) fun as he sang all those "be do duh-duh" bits.
I'm with you though, I can't think of anything else that really sounds that much like that although I find it hard to put my finger on what makes it so different. I'll check out that Q thing that MMS recommended anyway 'cause I don't know it.