Turkish music

KernKätzchen

I heard a lot of this in Berlin in cafes/coming out of people's cars etc. and on the whole, it sounds fantastic. But I know absolutely nothing about Turkish music of any kind - pop, traditional or whatever. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I can only point you to the super-obvious stuff, but here goes:

Tarkan – Simarik (maybe more well-known in its Holly Valance incarnation)
Sertab – Every Way That I Can (a former Eurovision winner)

These are the only two acts that enjoy any kind of name-recognition among the European public at large, I would wager, but you will find some additional names here.

If you are not picky about provenance you may want to check out Egypt’s Hisham Abbas, whose ‘Habibi Dah (Nari Narien)’ arguably is the most well-known Arabian pop song to date (and a mighty fine one at that).

Eh, and Mr Alkan, of course.

bruno

est malade
i'm completely ignorant but random googling brings up some fantastic stuff

Sezenaksu_45play_1977.jpg

7146_1.JPG

3243881.jpg

she seems to be popular

erkut.jpg

280924_0.jpg

selahattin_cesur_161a_on_kapak.jpg

interesting!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Depends what type of thing you're after I guess but the obvious one is Baris Manco who did loads of stuff mainly in a prog/psych/funk style.
There are a load of his records listed here on popsike

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=baris+manco

Only got a few singles of his myself but the one everyone is after is 2023.
Other people to look out for include Okay Temiz (crazy jazz), Orhan Gencebay (kind of like Serge Gainsbourg from what I've heard), Senay (done some fuzzy psych tunes).
Finders Keepers have just re-issued an album by Selda

http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_selda.html

And this thing which sounds wicked from the soundclips

http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/discog_mustafa.html

There are loads of others in psych prog type styles such as Mogollar, Ersen, Uc Hur El etc but again I've only got singles by these and I couldn't really tell you what the best bits are.
A lot of people are buying Turkish records at the moment and people seem to have cottoned on to this and started flogging everything they've got on ebay so one of the best ways to find out about this stuff is search there because a lot of them put up sound files.

O

Omaar

I quite like bits of "bosphorus bridges - a wide selection of turkish jazz and funk 1968-1978 (2005)" - It has one track by Okay Temiz whom Idle Rich mentioned. The few Selda tracks I've heard have all been pretty good.

I picked up some turkish pressings of some italo disco in Istanbul recently, it must have been pretty popular there, there was loads of it about.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just remembered that there is this comp as well which came out fairly recently, dunno what it's like though...

Guybrush

Dittohead
Apparently, KRAL FM is one of the heavyweights in the Turkish ether. This, I believe, is their top ten list, all but a few of the songs are available on YouTube.

The song below is tops. A nectarean muddle of the ‘Coolie Dance’ riddim, Arabian EFXs, melismatic singing and randy meowing, it sure invites crappy ‘the Bosphorus—age-old melting-pot of cultures’ analogies, but I desist.

Mahsun Kirmizigül – Dinle

benjybars

village elder.
just go and have a meal in any of the cafes on green lanes haringey if u wanna hear some good turkish music :)

MankyFiver

the Erkin Koray Elektronik Turkuler cd is fantastic and there is Edip Akbayram double cd on amazon pretty cheap at the moment, and definitely recommend the Selda lp on finders keepers, they are all in that psych vein and i havent a clue what they are going on about but it sounds damn fine to me

boomnoise

♫
the Erkin Koray Elektronik Turkuler cd is fantastic and there is Edip Akbayram double cd on amazon pretty cheap at the moment, and definitely recommend the Selda lp on finders keepers, they are all in that psych vein and i havent a clue what they are going on about but it sounds damn fine to me

speaking of which i'd highly recommend: edip akbayram & dostlar - nedir ne degildir

edip_2nd_LP.jpg

bruno

est malade
3 hur-el is another one, i can't say which lp i listened to but remember it being sort of epic, far west-ish (if that makes any sense).

for some reason i thought this thread was going to be about turkish pop. surely there are turkish synth/new wave/etc gems?

STN

sou'wester
There's a Turkish music festival in Finsbury Park on 9th September. I plan to go to it.

Pulchritude

On the mainstream pop side of things, I quite like Burak Kut. His track Komple was being played everywhere, when I visited Turkey, this summer. I've been meaning to get more into it, I love how energetic their music tends to sound.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Mavi Isklar is like the Turkish Beatles.

180px-Mavi_isiklar2.jpg

I have their greatest hits and quite like it.

Cem Karaca is another psych guy I'll throw out there.

I have this comp, which I like a lot. Not a big fan of the cover art though:

B00005K9LB.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm getting some Turkish stuff in the mail soon.

zhao

there are no accidents
this reissued Selda record has been making the rounds within more sophisticated hipster circles, and indeed it is very accessable to the western ear, and very good in a psych, rock, and funky way.

selda_1st_lp_web.jpg

if anyone is interested i can dig up a download link maybe...

and here is her discography (i think)

http://progressive.homestead.com/SELDA.html

U-Basstard

tragic mix
it's purely turkish flavored beats, mostly cut ups of traditional sounds with more experimental electronics and some mad acid licks, dynamite dancefloor styles. i know the hardwax crew have raved about this guys stuff for years and the pressing is even from D&M.