the Ess Oh Vee!

tox

Factory Girl
I have to say I really don't mind s o v. Infact I got the white label of Shh! when it first came out and played it for ages. The production on that track is wicked. And if you haven't heard the IG Culture remix of Random then you haven't lived. A Broken Beat monster!

I only aquired the Public Warning album the other day and it's not all that, although if viewed as a pop album it's suprisingly consistant. The mistake is to think that this is a representation of what's happening in UK Grime, which seems to be the general media consensus.

Something about it grates though and I think that's the extent to which this album has been crafted for the US market. The Britishness comes across as so gimicky I can hardly stand it.

Guybrush

Dittohead
For reference, here are two other threads on her:

Lady Sovereign - the Grime test
Lady Sov's Stateside success

I feel terrible about it, but, like with M.I.A., I loved her to pieces at first and now I cannot stand her (bar a few tracks; the Menta remix eproductionmuzc mentioned is my favourite S.O.V. track, incidentally). This is silly in a way since the musical content has not changed, but the non-musical appendages sometimes lessen my appreciation for an artist.

spotrusha

i like sov cause i get that she's more of a character/style thing then a mc's mc. there's no reason to diss professor green though, he's a hip-hop mc with skill that far surpasses lady sov's (and i'm not even really a professor green fan, just sayin)

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I found the Pro Green track disturbingly anti-homosexual. Such open hate wouldn't be tolerated if it were directed to a male bisexual MC with "Battybwoy" and "Faggot" references.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Green's taken it off the myspace now, it's been replaced with a track with a wicked beat. Don't like his voice though.
And it's pretty much a prerequisite to be anti-gay in hiphop, no? Especially if you're Jay-Z or Jim Jones :cool:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I've never heard a 2 minute long diatribe of hate directed towards someone based on their sexuality.

Unfortunately I cannot say I have not been conditioned into using "gay" as an insult to my peers, so I am no angel, but directing such hate towards someone based on their sexuality is a bit scary to me. It comes across as very right wing, which is ironic coming from a white boy who dresses and clearly speaks as if he were a young black male.

Fair enough you have a strong dislike for Sovereign's lack of talent, and a lot of resentment based around the interest she has generated from people with cheque books. But the level of hat efilled insults directed towards her bisexuality was too far.

ripley

I found the Pro Green track disturbingly anti-homosexual. Such open hate wouldn't be tolerated if it were directed to a male bisexual MC with "Battybwoy" and "Faggot" references.

yes, it was quite homophobic/gaybashing. I also found that disturbing.

I'm not sure I understand the second part - who wouldn't tolerate homophobic diss lines? the grime scene?

and, are there some bisexual grime MCs out there?

I also found the SOV diss to a disturbing (and yet boringly familiar) catalog of sexist insults.

Logan (or anyone) is the sexism not as disturbing to you or to most people? I'm actually really curious about this..

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's just playground stuff, the gay card's been able to be pulled ever since Nas did Ether...I thought the first few lines were very funny but just got bored, weak targets and all that.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
yes, it was quite homophobic/gaybashing. I also found that disturbing.

I'm not sure I understand the second part - who wouldn't tolerate homophobic diss lines? the grime scene?

and, are there some bisexual grime MCs out there?

I also found the SOV diss to a disturbing (and yet boringly familiar) catalog of sexist insults.

Logan (or anyone) is the sexism not as disturbing to you or to most people? I'm actually really curious about this..

I just think if it were directed to a male bisexual then you would see a far greater outcry from the musical establishment. I am not sure that someone who fronts a show for BBC Radio 1 openly insulting gay men would be tolerated in anyway by the music industry, what with the large number of gay men working in radio broadcasting, especially at the BBC.

I just find it ignorant and hate-filled on his part, and hypocritical on the music industry's part.

ripley

I just think if it were directed to a male bisexual then you would see a far greater outcry from the musical establishment. I am not sure that someone who fronts a show for BBC Radio 1 openly insulting gay men would be tolerated in anyway by the music industry, what with the large number of gay men working in radio broadcasting, especially at the BBC.

I just find it ignorant and hate-filled on his part, and hypocritical on the music industry's part.

That's pretty interesting. I'm not sure how much that would be true in the US. You're talking about the industry, though? I don't know at all how it is there, but here there's standard obscenity rules for mainstream radio broadcast etc, but in terms of street cred gaybashing is nearly de rigeur.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Taken from the topic....discussing this diss record in which I said exactly the same thing as I did here. Don't shit stir.

You find it hypocritical that I find the idea of inserting my penis into the orifice reserved for faeces disgusting?

Am I not within my rights to disapprove as long as I do not force my views on others, and abuse them for their choices?

Must I agree with everyone's lifestyle choices?

I also disagree with young girls who sleep around, and find the idea of them giving head to multiple men in one sitting to be disgusting. Is that equally unacceptable?

Don't be such a Guardianista

Last edited:

eproductionmuzc

Wild Horses
I didn't intend on learning about everyone's sexual preference lol...I just wanted to know the lyrics to the song featuring RIKO..."Random (Menta mix)"! This is very interesting...

So where is everyone from?

:cool: