Grime - Some Information ?

Red Rooster

Hi, I'm new to these forums and also new to grime.

When I joined last week I came across a producer called Plasticman for the first time, and have since spent the week scouring the internet for audio and information on him.

I found lots of other helpful sites but most of their members seemed fairly un helpful. So I didn't bother asking them!

I want to know what people's views are from this forum - on the grime scene - it seems very segmented from what I've discovered, although I can't really spot the differences.

Some people are putting Plasticman into a category called FWD? Is this anything to do with Lethal B?

I can see the difference between Dubstep and Grime. I would place Plasticman in the grime category out of the two, but there was a heated debate on this matter on a few web forums which placed Plasticman into the Dubstep category.

I'm very confused but extremely excited by this new sound! Please help me out if you can, even if just to share opinions rather than concrete facts.

Red

ambrose

the FWD refers to the nigth at plastic people, "forward" which pushes the croydon/dubstep/"forward" sound, they dont really have mcs like other big grime nights (they do have one resident mc i think).

not really connected to the Lethal B forward riddim

plasticman i would say is more dubstep, mainyl because the tunes seem to be intended to be tunes in their own right, as instrumentals, rather than to have mcs ride them as the east london grime scene proper is concerned with at the moment, the mc has taken centre stage in that scene. i think thats ther crucial diffeence, there ae sonic differences too.

discusion about that side of things is better suited to other posters here

satanmcnugget

youve definitely come to the right place looking for info on Grime, Red..unfortunately, im just not clueing in to what you ae asking exactly.....what kind of info are you looking for specifically??

Red Rooster

I just need some opinions really - I'm new to all of this and I've decided in my own head that Plasticman's tunes sound more like the beats MC's spit over than the tunes produced by Kode 9 and the dubstep crew.

To me grime means the sound, rather than the MC. I think Plasticman's tunes are just grime without a pre recorded vocal over the top of them.

But I just wanted to know what other people's opinions were on the subject.

Ambrose - If Plasticman were to release vocal tracks would you then put him in the grime category or do you feel his music is more dubstep sonically?

nomos

Administrator
Hi Red. Welcome. I know what you mean about some of the other boards. I just saw someone get torn up at the 2sg forums for asking about a 4 month old tune.

Anyway, just a few more links to go along with the ones already mentioned:

http://silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com/ (Check Aug 24, 2004 for a 'goth-garridge' post)
Gutterbreakz Grime scene investigation 1 and part 2 with a response from Chantelle Fiddy.

Also check Chantelle Fiddy and Ghettopostage as well as the archives at blissblog and WOEBOT.

Cheers

Last edited:

mpc

wasteman
plasticman used to be heavily affiliated to the dubstep scene when he djed at forward at put out stuff on soulja etc. but recently he has moved closer to the grime scene in sound (new 12" on terrorhythm is a grime record) and through association (lots of big ups by MCs on the pirates and i think gype is gonna be released on terrorhythm{?})

Red Rooster

Yeah I think I may be placing my judgement on the basis of what I heard on Gutterbreakz blog - I really loved those MP3's - Cha has such energy!

I even managed to track down a few forum posts by the man himself - it seems he feels the same as I do - from what I've heard he is more grime oriented. Perhaps he just hasn't been given the opportunity to work with any vocal artists he respects.

I would love to hear some Plasticman mc tracks. I really like Dog-zilla and Riko. They would sound great over a plasticman track.

The stuff on Soulja was also good - pump up the jam was the first Plasticman track I listened to just the other week. But I definitely prefer the more stripped down style of Cha.

I read about the gype track also, I haven't yet heard it but there was a lot of hype surrounding it suggesting Terrorhythm had lost the track to a major label.

Red Rooster said:
I think I may be placing my judgement on the basis of what I heard on Gutterbreakz blog - I really loved those MP3's - Cha has such energy!

Cor, that's made my day...comments like that make it all seem worthwhile. :D

mpc

wasteman

adruu

This Is It
man...i don't know how many times ive listened to that slimzee/blive thing...

that tune i'm looking for is in that set...it's between plasticman's the search and section 7. sounds like jo's rtype really. anyone know have a full setlist? i'd like to find out who did the second track also...

easy

S

simon silverdollar

red- if you like dog-z chances are you'll like mc beezy, who goes on sets with plasticman quite a lot. private message/e-mail me yr address and i'll send a tape off. i'll throw in a tape of plasticman's crew 'virus syndicate' on rinse fm as well. how's that. and a tape of riko over fwd type stuff.

brapity brap.

ambrose

while we're on the subject of plasticman, what does anyonie think of his remix of 'rocker'?
its pretty fucking mental, i wonder how it came about...

mpc

wasteman
Red Rooster said:
That is fucking awesome man!!!

Vio-Lent is a killer!!!!!!!!!!

Surely a Plasticman album is around the corner now?? I purchased the Grime CD from Rephlex this week - any news on them releasing any more Plasticman in future?

Wow, I thought I was blown away before but that soundclick page is something else!!

plasticman album this year i think.

don't know who's releasing it. maybe he hasn't found a label to put it out yet.

appleblim

plasticman is the mutts nuts!

look out for 'section 7' forthcoming on Southside i think....

he was all set to release the huge'gype riddem' by IMP Batch on his own terrorhythm label, www.terrorhythm.co.uk , but apparently its been picked up by a major, Sony i think....and theres a vocal cut on the rhythm by Crazy Titch available now from www.independance-records.co.uk

look out for Macarbe Unit rubs, 'lift off' is due on Terrorhythm later this year...

i believe Plasticman has an album on Rephlex coming this year, and a Virus Syndicate album also due.

Also, theres a Skream mix of Plasticmans 'shallow grave' on dub....totally amazing....this 18yr old producer from croydon is totally the man watch for 2005....he's got re-rubs of Sunship, Bugz In The Attic, Plasticman and stacks of his own tunes waiting to go.....Loefa of DMZ fame is setting up a label called Ital and the first release is 3 tracks from Skream, including the HUGE 'traitor'...anyone with a passing interest in dub, techno, electro, grime or whatever the hell else cannot miss this one!

appleblim

hey, maybe we should PM Plastic on the Rinse forums, and see if he wants to come and have a chat on Dissensus?

Woebot? Luka? Interested?