Grime Recomendations

Smurfie

Just getting into this sound and wondering if you lot could help me? I like wileys production, which i think is classed as eski(?), does anyone know any labels/artists that produce stuff on a similar tip? other producers i rate are ruff sqwad & jon e cash,

cheers.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Stuff that is relatively easy to pick up, and good value:

Roll Deep - Rules & Regulations (CD)
Ruff Sqwad - Guns N Roses 2 (CD)
JME - Poomplex (CD)
Wiley - Da Second Phaze (CD)
Scorcher - Simply The Best (CD)

And there's a bunhc of other stuff, but judging on your preferences of producers you will enjoy those CDs

Smurfie

thx for the recomendations guys,

but i should of said, im a dj! so, cds are cool but im looking for recommendations on vinyl.

ill check out those cds anyway though!

cheers, guys!

nomos

Administrator
yeah i'd start grabbing some names from those threads etc. and checking out tonnes of clips at chemical and independance.

are you after both vocals and instrumentals?

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
You should look at Davinche's Dirty Canvas serie,
Low Deep's releases,
Jme and Skepta's releases,
Mister Slash has a few out as well,
Virgo, Ironsoul and Kid D (The first realm Ep --> personal favourite)

They all have instrumental 12" out, either recently or still available.

Smurfie

instrumentals mostly tbh, but i think most usually have a vocal version on the flip?

quick question though, is there like a sub genre in grime that is eski? coz wiley has a distinct sound that i really like but i haven't really found any other producers that try to emulate that.

xenon

Wild Horses
Anything affiliated with Boy Better Know, The Movement, Roll Deep, Neckle Camp, Ruff Sqwad, NASTY Crew and Slew Dem would be the first things to get into...

Immryr

for vinyl, anything on dumpvalve is guaranteed to be good. logan has put out some really good things on his adamantium lable too, especially look out for the recent-ish skepta release.

nomos

Administrator
also check geeneus and his alter ego wizzbit. tracks like 'parasite' and 'old skool'

scratchy from roll deep has one out called 'shangooli' with remixes by wiley and geeneus.

wonder, macabre unit and chunky bizzle would be other to check.

28 Gun Nice Boy

Without getting into a debate, if you agree that the year zeros for grime are 2001/2 (If I remember right More Fire's 'Oi!', Dizzee Rascal's 'I Luv U', Wiley's 'Eskimo' and Musical Mob's 'Pulse X' were all made in these years) then it's only 4 or 5 years old but in that time there have been about four times as many 'classics' made than in 20 years of UK hip hop...

I've just had a look and if you go to:

http://www.independance-records.co.uk/ug.htm

On this website you can still get the two 2006 Wiley classics:

Gangsters
16 Bar Riddim

Also still available on the website and generally considered grime classics...

2005:

LOW DEEP-'' STR Flush ''
Bossman Ft Essentials '' Bongo Eyez3 (VIP) ''
JME/Trigz "The Nu EP"
Ruff Sqwad & Roll Deep '' Its Nuffin / '' Gunz & Roses ''
Slew Dem Feat Jammer -Lethal B - D Double E - Esco - Pit - Fumin - Bashy & More - '' 16 Bar ''
Essentials Feat J2K & Dynastie '' State Ur Name ''

2004:

Ruff Sqwad '' Misty Cold - Remix ''
Wiley '' Wot U Call It ''Inst ( Devils Igloo) '' 20 Problems ''
Dj Mondie Ft Jamaka B - Napper - All In 1 - Flirta D '' Straight -'' Vocals Pt 1
Wiley '' Morgue '' Original / Rmx ''
Wiley '' Eskimo '' / '' Split It Down The Middle ''
Bossman (Essentials) -'' Bongo Eyez 1 '' - '' Eyez On U - Rmx ''
Ruff Sqwad- '' Dont Trust '' / '' 'Ur Love Feels ''

This is just a fraction of the great music that's been created in the grime scene though...unfortunately the vinyls, since the inception of the scene, have been pressed in such limited numbers that it makes them very hard to track down.:(

Immryr

heres a few more recent things i would recommend looking into, im not too sure if you can still pick some of these up though.

Skepta - Stupid
Danny Weed - Kick Off
Scratchy - Shangooli
Wiley - Slippin Down South
Skepta - Autopsy
DPM - Slow VIP
Ruff Sqwad - Xtra
Chunky Bizzle - Messa
Geeneus - Darkboy
Footsie - Scars
Young.dot - Bazooka
Charmzy - Anthem