alice coltrane r.ip.

mms

sometimes
not really public yet but got a bulletin from flying lotus myspace, her nephew.

Really sad, esp in the light of james brown dying, the sheer misery of amazing musicians dying in succession is bad. She made some dna changing music for me.

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
:(

Wow... what's with all the best ones dying off right now?

REALLY would have loved to have seen her, hope this turns out not to be true...

mms

sometimes
:(

Wow... what's with all the best ones dying off right now?

REALLY would have loved to have seen her, hope this turns out not to be true...

its true as i said, i wouldn't bullshit.
Her nephew who is an artist called flying lotus sent a round robin bulletin via myspace, plus there is some mentions on it on ravi coltrane's myspace too.

tate

Brown Sugar
It's sad indeed, mms, and after reading your first post I listened again to Journey In Satchidananda, and then found my way to Don Cherry's Brown Rice, not because she played on it (she didn't), but because of the mournful vibe on a grey day where I happened to be located (literally and figuratively). I discovered her music at a time, common to many I am sure, when I was exploring later Coltrane, and then suddenly the whole vista of late 60s free jazz with the spirtual/Eastern inflection opened up before me. Personally speaking, it was definitely a limit experience of sorts, listening-wise, at that point in time. Her life was pretty amazing, what a biography, beginning as a classically trained pianist in a household where an older brother had played with Stan Getz and Yusef Lateef among others, how she went to Paris in the late 50s to study with Bud Powell, and of course the albums and later work. She will definitely will be missed.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh no... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :

makes me very, very sad... but people like this are way too good for this stupid world anyway... :(

polystyle

Sad sad news ,
only just caught up with her music in the last years .
Rest easy Alice definitely already missed